Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

10 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Think I had more hope under Ashley. Could at least dream of him selling up to someone with ambition.

That it was only him holding us back not the entire system.

Now we couldn't have more ambition, potential and wherewithal and it doesn't matter.

I’m at the point where I’ve resigned myself to us being a top half also ran club, the only positive is the chances of relegation have been significantly reduced.

Pretty sure we disagreed with the FMV value rules - presumably that could be a separate challenge, if we ever needed to make one.

I think the plan was always to play nice at least to start with, and grow organically with things that had maybe not been exploited like some other clubs have, as there was plenty of room to do that. That was the gist of what I took from their plans.

No doom and gloom from me just yet, other than about Gordon's knee.

The Premier League has been looking at a model enabling clubs to spend up to 85 per cent of revenue on squad cost, with a sliding scale of penalties in place where clubs exceed that ratio.

However, there is no guarantee that the new financial model will even be signed off at the league's annual general meeting in June.

A vote yesterday was essentially a vote for "the current rules are dumb; let's figure out and vote on new ones."

And the high level replacement being kicked around is basically UEFA's rules with transparent penalties that start with fines, not point deductions.

Depending on the exact implementation it's entirely possible we end up voting no in June, but you can see why everyone (bar one) voted yes to move this process forward.

Hello, I am a Newcastle United fan studying at Robert Gordon University. I am a final year International Business student looking at the affect of the PIF majority ownership on Newcastle United stakeholders particularly the fans. It is key that I gain the fans' opinion on certain matters therefore I ask if you can fill out the survey attached below. It should only take 5-10 minutes. All responses are anonymous and comply with GDPR regulations. Thank you. 

https://app.onlinesurveys.jisc.ac.uk/s/robertgordonuniversity/newcastle-united-fans-opinion-on-pif-ownership-1 

5 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Capitalism devours all, why would football be an exception?

There's the point.

However, what do the rich do,they exploit, they look for loop holes. 

There's an obvious loop hole we have a greater opportunity to exploit than anyone, the Saudi league and astronomical transfers between the parties, if the PL want to be wankers, just do this, and there's probably sweet fuck all they could do!

Edited by mighty__mag

2 hours ago, Jonas said:

Think I had more hope under Ashley. Could at least dream of him selling up to someone with ambition.

That it was only him holding us back not the entire system.

Now we couldn't have more ambition, potential and wherewithal and it doesn't matter.

That’s the spirit 

Liverpool's 2022/23 accounts are out and for the first time ever their commercial revenue exceeded their broadcast revenue (in a season they made the CL QF). Massive gains over the last decade going from £104m in 2014 to £273m in 2023. Only £30m behind Man United now.

Their wages were £123m more than our revenue.

Their commercial revenue alone exceeds our total revenue, which is also true of both Manchester clubs.

Their matchday revenue of £80m (£87m in 2021/22) is essentially equal to our matchday (£38m) + commercial (£47m). 

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

Liverpool's 2022/23 accounts are out and for the first time ever their commercial revenue exceeded their broadcast revenue (in a season they made the CL QF). Massive gains over the last decade going from £104m in 2014 to £273m in 2023. Only £30m behind Man United now.

Their commercial revenue alone exceeds our total revenue, which is also true of both Manchester clubs.

Their matchday revenue of £80m (£87m in 2021/22) is essentially equal to our matchday (£38m) + commercial (£47m). 

Yet you’ll still have people argue that we can remain at SJP.

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Yet you’ll still have people argue that we can remain at SJP.

Eh, they remained at Anfield and expanded it twice now.

Edited by El Prontonise

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

Well that will change soon. The season after next I expect my season to go up from £550 it's been for about the last 13 years to about £900 😫

Just now, r0cafella said:

Comparing with Liverpool isn’t the greatest argument for moving tbh. 

It is really because they’ve remained and extended their stadium twice yet they are miles from others and we are miles off them and they’ve took advantage of the old rules. Only way to catch them with the current rules is have a bigger more adaptable stadium. Anfield can’t host any Cup Finals due to pitch size so there is a slender chance of catching them.

Please don’t expect the EPL to follow the sanctions laid out by Uefa. We’ve seen with Everton they want financial rule breakers to be dealt with severely. 

I don't know, I have been trying to figure out just why this is more favourable to the vast majority of PL clubs to what's in place already, and think the promise of financial punishment rather than points could be a large part of it. 

Just now, sushimonster85 said:

I don't know, I have been trying to figure out just why this is more favourable to the vast majority of PL clubs to what's in place already, and think the promise of financial punishment rather than points could be a large part of it. 

Yep. I agree. However those 4 clubs who are being investigated should still be held to the old rules at least… you’d hope.

Liverpool remained at Anfield but found a way to double their matchday revenue via multiple expansions. I imagine we'll stay put if we can think can accomplish the same.

But if you do that you definitely need a path to over £200m (today's money) in commercial revenue. I think we're well on our way to £100m, but doubling from there is a whole different ballgame. 

4 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

That’s just drivel tbh, charges have been brought against city. As for Chelsea charges will be brought next year if they can’t sell enough players ala forest. 

I know it’s twitter but the conspiracy theories should at least try and be accurate. 

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

Liverpool remained at Anfield but found a way to double their matchday revenue via multiple expansions. I imagine we'll stay put if we can think can accomplish the same.

But if you do that you definitely need a path to over £200m (today's money) in commercial revenue. I think we're well on our way to £100m, but doubling from there is a whole different ballgame. 

Absolutely, although I’m not sure an expansion can get us there, they will have to rejig the ground around to incorporate more corporate stuff. 

FMV really kills us commercially though, only so much big marketing dollars to go around why would you sponsor us if you can Liverpool for a bit  more? They have far more reach than us. 

Absolutely, although I’m not sure an expansion can get us there, they will have to rejig the ground around to incorporate more corporate stuff. 

FMV really kills us commercially though, only so much big marketing dollars to go around why would you sponsor us if you can Liverpool for a bit  more? They have far more reach than us. 

Yeah I don't know what's possible. It's going to have to be extremely creative. 

On the second point the only good answer I have is time. It takes time and results to build the type of brand required for these commercial numbers, and there's obviously a bit of a catch 22 in there.