Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

And? One ruling doesn't constitute anything and that's why Man City have challenged the current rules.

This one was re contracts.  The Webster Ruling was thought to be seismic at the time - it basically ruled that football contracts breached the worker’s freedom of movement rights.  Nowt happened, though

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Sorry mate, was being sarcastic - apologies :) 

The general point stands - this is not an open goal for Man City (and us by proxy).  Folks are waiting for a magic bullet.  I don’t think this is it. 

Time will tell mate 

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ve read plenty on here claiming that the PL would get obliterated under commercial law without any substantiation, but I’ve got to cite case law and clauses?

I respect that you know your stuff FM, but I’m suggesting that the hanging the PL on commercial law isn’t the shoo-in that many are anticipating. 

FIFA and the PL attempted to cap agents fees under their ‘rules’ and this happened..

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

This one was re contracts.  The Webster Ruling was thought to be seismic at the time - it basically ruled that football contracts breached the worker’s freedom of movement rights.  Nowt happened, though

Yeah I know what the Webster ruling was. This is totally different though as it's a rule brought in to stop two clubs in particular and are totally against competition rulings and are a restraint of trade against a business. We will see what happens as that is the only way. I can't see anything else but a Man City win, which was touched on by the Premier League's mouthpiece in the media and pulled from the table at very late notice at the last meeting.

7 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Yeah I know what the Webster ruling was. This is totally different though as it's a rule brought in to stop two clubs in particular and are totally against competition rulings and are a restraint of trade against a business. We will see what happens as that is the only way. I can't see anything else but a Man City win, which was touched on by the Premier League's mouthpiece in the media and pulled from the table at very late notice at the last meeting.

Agreed they are different things - was referring to Webster in terms of the potential unenforceability of players’ contracts

Re PL rules - yep, ultimately that’s all we can do

40 minutes ago, Paully said:

Absolute mayhem this will cause 

Players have had the option to buy out their contracts for a while now, this ruling reads like their previous club can't withhold their registration until they have paid the contract back.  It probably won't change a great deal except that top players will get bigger contracts that would cost players more to buy out and they'll get them more often so the timeframe where they're allowed to buy the contracts out is limited.

7 minutes ago, ikri said:

Players have had the option to buy out their contracts for a while now, this ruling reads like their previous club can't withhold their registration until they have paid the contract back.  It probably won't change a great deal except that top players will get bigger contracts that would cost players more to buy out and they'll get them more often so the timeframe where they're allowed to buy the contracts out is limited.

Isn't that how we ended up with Jonas?

1 hour ago, Zero said:

To be honest that’s why those organising parties shouldn’t impose that much rules that forced different parties to go the legal tribunal route. 

Agreed, Governing bodies should organise competitions and not get involved in clubs or players commercial or financial activities.