Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Was also in L7 corner last night, not not my choice, but nevermind.

Overall it was as good atmosphere, a lot better than I expected after being up there for the Burnley game.

was a laugh seeing some lad with a megaphone, not seen them at a match in years, he did get a bit sick of using it after a while though.

Oh and best quote I heard from a lad behind us "stop trying fancy flicks and skill moves you bunch of c**** and get stuck in" [emoji38]

37 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Impressed they could get signal :lol:

Ive had full service at all of the home CL games. Either some extra towers for UEFA or just less people on town Vs a weekend. 

Still fuming at those fucking off home with 10 mins left and then folk not staying an extra 5 mins to clap the players off. 

Seemed like a lot better atmosphere than usual in the Leazes end, was good to see a lot standing too!

Canny atmosphere in the first half in the Gallowgate but a bit flat second half. 

That central section in the Gallowgate is a real vacuum of noise like, the demographics are more east stand than home end.

Just now, TheDimpleboy said:

Seemed like a lot better atmosphere than usual in the Leazes end, was good to see a lot standing too!

Canny atmosphere in the first half in the Gallowgate but a bit flat second half. 

That central section in the Gallowgate is a real vacuum of noise like, the demographics are more east stand than home end.

The middle tier is probably an average age of 60. Many will have had season tickets there since 94.

38 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Pretty unsavoury moment coming out of the stadium. A young Asian lad with a Milan shirt on had apparently been sat in a home seat. He didn't look like he had a clue what was going on and didn't seem to speak much English but someone tried tripping him up from behind and started demanding very aggressively how he'd got his ticket.

He was fucking harmless and probably petrified. People should be taking issue with the club, not randomers.

Whilst it’s obviously totally unacceptable to be going on like that towards someone, particularly someone as you describe, you wonder what planet people live on to think it’s a good idea to wear the colours of the away side sitting in the home end?

Numerous people off here have bought tickets in home ends for various away games, particularly the CL games, and I very much doubt any of them were daft enough attend wearing a black and white top.

Just now, SteV said:

Whilst it’s obviously totally unacceptable to be going on like that towards someone, particularly someone as you describe, you wonder what planet people live on to think it’s a good idea to wear the colours of the away side sitting in the home end?

Numerous people off here have bought tickets in home ends for various away games, particularly the CL games, and I very much doubt any of them were daft enough attend wearing a black and white top.

No idea if it was visible in the stadium and he'd just opened his jacket as walking by the strawberry, tbf. 

England is canny unique for home/away vitriol. Plenty of places over the continent and in other cultures, it's very normal to have fans mix without issue in the same end. Milan/Inter derby they now mix etc.

6 minutes ago, SteV said:

Christ, there's some hardcore on here griefing people for wearing the wrong baseball cap, speaking forrin and having a bairn with them. 

The crazy guys

4 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

No idea if it was visible in the stadium and he'd just opened his jacket as walking by the strawberry, tbf. 

England is canny unique for home/away vitriol. Plenty of places over the continent and in other cultures, it's very normal to have fans mix without issue in the same end. Milan/Inter derby they now mix etc.

England is probably one of the safest places for a football fan thesedays

10 minutes ago, SteV said:

Think some people not familiar with European sport culture can be completely oblivious to it. It's pretty acceptable to wear away colours in the US (see Elaine's indignation in Seinfeld at being asked to remove her cap...). An Indian mate of mine is a big Chelsea fan and he got shit for being openly a Chelsea fan in the Man City end for one of their games (his first game) - though I was surprised how he didn't know that since he watches every week.

(I've sat in the wrong end once. Was an easy one really as it was 0-0, at QPR. Found out on the full time whistle the guy next to me was also a secret toon fan).

Edited by Superior Acuña

21 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Not so bad if it was covered up, but still seems like a totally unnecessary risk to me.

And perhaps more understandable if more of a case of not understanding the culture here. Although it feels like you’d have to be fairly new to English football not to have any understanding.

44 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

The middle tier is probably an average age of 60. Many will have had season tickets there since 94.

Aye my dad moved there in 1994 as a 42 year old bloke. He's 72 now and is still there in the middle tier with him mate of the same age. There's loads like them in a similar age group.

Tbf to him he had to fill a survey last season about safe standing and he did answer that he'd be happy to move seats to a different stand if they decided to make his area safe standing.

27 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Fair play to members who were im safe standing near away fans, stood and sang.

My biggest gripe isvthe pricks who left early and couldnt be arsed to stay behind and clap team

Yeah, I was there too. Been in most parts of the ground since the takeover and that was only beaten by the strawberry corner in terms of my experience and enjoyment. They really need to make a lot more safe standing in the ground.

Don't think it's any coincidence that the 2 noisiest parts of the ground last night were the 2 safe standing areas. The SE Corner which would have been 90% season ticket holders and the 1,500 in the area that Milan returned (100% member occupied).

More safe standing should be right at the top of the priorities list in the summer.

Thought it was pretty bad from just under the away fans and I normally veer on the side of positive about these things. Nice and loud and defiant first 10 mins, (justifiably) nervous til the first goal then alright after that but a bit muted. Guess it depends where you are sat. 

Potentials huge if get more standing. I'd argue the couple of thousand in that corner louder than any other section of fans ive been to last season or 2 in prem just needs massively extending or lower leazes matched

Felt a bit flat at front of Gallowgate for most of game, the Corner was giving it some but it never properly spread to the sections nearby  

Fair few primary school age kids in my block, I think it’s important that youngins are at the match but they can’t add much to the noise and considerate adults will often tone it down if they’re next to a kid

If we could have a family section that was nearer to the pitch than L7, it’d be better for everyone 

Edited by bobbydazzla