Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

1 hour ago, geordiesteve710 said:

I thought it was embarrassing in the lower tier yesterday.

Didn't really get going until 3-0 down songwise. Plenty of giving the players grief until that point but not a lot of encouragement. Which is basically what was required at a loud hostile ground where we're struggling to get going on the pitch.

no loud abuse/grief to the players from the upper tier, but loads left with over 10 minutes to go.

should be docked loyalty points, thats if they had any to start with.

10 hours ago, TheDimpleboy said:

Been notable at lots of away games this season tbh. 

A lot less vocal support than in previous seasons away from home, not sure if it's because there's now an "expectation" that we win, rather than it being an added bonus. Or if it's due to a change in the makeup of our support. 

Even taking forest away, heard a few people saying it was "incredible" etc. But aside from the last ten mins was fairly flat throughout, and would have been an "average" atmosphere in seasons gone by. 

It’s entirely due to the make up of our support it’s changed for the worse. Songbook is pathetic and don’t get behind the team when they actually need it like yesterday.

There’s no excuse for it we’ve been blessed with great owners, manager and a team that finally gives it all every week.

What’s really worrying is we haven’t even won anything yet and we’re infested with whingeing spineless cunts who haven’t got a clue what getting behind the lads means.

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

It’s entirely due to the make up of our support it’s changed for the worse. Songbook is pathetic and don’t get behind the team when they actually need it like yesterday.

There’s no excuse for it we’ve been blessed with great owners, manager and a team that finally gives it all every week.

What’s really worrying is we haven’t even won anything yet and we’re infested with whingeing spineless cunts who haven’t got a clue what getting behind the lads means.

It's not how it used , totally agree with the songbook it's crap. 

The Mike Ashley era ruined our support. Loads and loads of the most passionate, vocal supporters chucked it and now can't get back in. They've been replaced by people who don't share a fraction of their passion for the club. Our away support these days is very hit and miss.

We have gone from being a fan base with one of the most varied songbooks to that which now only has three songs…the “Bruno in the middle”, “ei ei ei ei o” and “whose that team we call United”. And all three of those songs are completely cringeworthy, lower league-esq shite. Sad times, to be honest, considering how great everything else is about the club.

8 minutes ago, Wandy said:

We have gone from being a fan base with one of the most varied songbooks to that which now only has three songs…the “Bruno in the middle”, “ei ei ei ei o” and “whose that team we call United”. And all three of those songs are completely cringeworthy, lower league-esq shite. Sad times, to be honest, considering how great everything else is about the club.

I hate that ei ei ei ei ei ei o one, when we were in the Championship pretty much every set of away fans would sing it.

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

I have always been proud that our support has been very different from the bland, generic shite that you see across the rest of the country. Unfortunately our fan base has now sunk to that level, with dire, unimaginative and plagiarised songs and one which can go missing if the chips are down. Never thought I would see the day, to be honest.

There were some great songs in the 80s and 90s and also some terrible ones. For some reason, our current lot have decided to resurrect the terrible ones.

3 minutes ago, brummie said:

I hate that ei ei ei ei ei ei o one, when we were in the Championship pretty much every set of away fans would sing it.

Yep, it’s fucking rancid. And reeks of the Championship/League One. Something you expect to hear at places like Stoke or Swindon.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

The Mike Ashley era ruined our support. Loads and loads of the most passionate, vocal supporters chucked it and now can't get back in. They've been replaced by people who don't share a fraction of their passion for the club. Our away support these days is very hit and miss.

Nonsense 

17 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Personally been saying this for a while. :lol:

On 28/02/2023 at 16:36, HaydnNUFC said:

On top of that as you mention which also affects our atmosphere is our songbook. Been saying it for a couple years now, it's absolutely shite. They're all sung at light speed and the same songs are on an ad infinitum cycle. 'Who's that team we call United' from the Benitez days has now been replaced with Bruno in the middle as the song that's trotted out every 10 minutes. The first songs I was ever told as a bairn by my fatha were songs from the 1970s when he started going to games; songs about Terry Hibbitt, John Tudor, 'we hate Nottingham Forest...' etc. No one sings them now, or those that regularly sing at games don't know those older songs. One thing I admire about Man Utd and Liverpool fans is they still sing about Cantona, Steve Heighway, Dalglish etc which we hardly ever do. Most fun I've had this season whilst supportingus was singing about Andy Cole, Coloccini et al when 0-4 up down at Fulham.

On 30/01/2022 at 00:26, HaydnNUFC said:

I personally think our songbook is really, really shit. It's the same 4 or 5 chants repeated all the time along with a particular player having his name repeated to no tune at all then you'll get the mongs we're on about chanting 'don't take me home', 'your support is fucking shit', 'is this a library', 'sunderland get battered' whilst they're winning and we're losing to name a few. Ugh. 

On 21/04/2022 at 19:33, HaydnNUFC said:

Need to sort out our songbook, like. It's shit for the most part imo. 

Get a huge banner for Liverpool saying 'STOP SAYING TOON BETWEEN THE 'UNITED' CHANT PLEASE

On 23/01/2022 at 18:26, HaydnNUFC said:

Should still sing it now, bring the old songs back. Now we literally only sing the Joelinton song, Blaydon Races at light speed, who's that team called united, Toon Toon black and white army, Eddie Howe' b&w army and a particular player's name repeated to no tune at all.

Our songbook is shit, like.

Genuinely no idea why it's the case. 

Do you still sing "An N and an E and a WUBBLEYOO C, A and S and T L E, U N I and T E D Newcastle United FC"? I recall that from my regular match attendance at SJP in the 80s.

I also recall "We've got Mirandinha, he's not from Argentina, he's from Brazil, he's fucking brill*" plus one with some low level racism about Tony Cunningham.

EDIT actually, thinking about it, not that low level. Football in the 80s, man, different planet.

* he wasn't

Edited by brummie

2 minutes ago, brummie said:

Do you still sing "An N and an E and a WUBBLEYOO C, A and S and T L E, U N I and T E D Newcastle United FC"? I recall that from my regular match attendance at SJP in the 80s.

I also recall "We've got Mirandinha, he's not from Argentina, he's from Brazil, he's fucking brill*" plus one with some low level racism about Tony Cunningham.

EDIT actually, thinking about it, not that low level. Football in the 80s, man, different planet.

* he wasn't

Sometimes.

Yes and the Tony Cunningham one Shearer recalled when talking to Ian Wright about racism in football. Never knew about that one until I saw that. Dear me.

Just now, brummie said:

I also recall "We've got Mirandinha, he's not from Argentina, he's from Brazil, he's fucking brill" plus one with some low level racism about Tony Cunningham.

Nope. The first one you mention used to be one of our biggest songs. Barely gets an airing now. Same with the Blaydon Races and also the plain old “Newcastle, Newcastle’ one. It’s really grim, and the only thing that can change it is by getting back the people who walked in sheer desperation over the Ashley era.

What is your opinion of Villa’s modern support and songbook etc?

Just now, Wandy said:

Nope. The first one you mention used to be one of our biggest songs. Barely gets an airing now. Same with the Blaydon Races and also the plain old “Newcastle, Newcastle’ one. It’s really grim, and the only thing that can change it is by getting back the people who walked in sheer desperation over the Ashley era.

What is your opinion of Villa’s modern support and songbook etc?

I fucking hate that version (everyone seems to have one) of the Napoli 'un giorno all'improviso' (ale ale ale, that one) that we turn out every 3 minutes. It makes me cringe, it's so unoriginal.

I remember loads more songs from the 70s and 80s that don't exist any more.

Although oddly, a couple of them which reference Nigel Spink, Tony Daley, David Platt and (Tony Cascarino) still get aired a bit. As does one referencing Paul Birch (RIP) and Alan McInally.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Do have to say that 'Holte Enders in the sky yippee ay yay yippee ay ooooh' chant grinds on me like fuck. @brummie :lol:

Yeah, everyone else hates it too.

Although that one dates back to the 50s / 60s.

Another popular one, Hi Ho Aston Villa is weird as Wolves and Sheffield Wednesday also use that song (as mentioned on MOTD this year when Jeff Beck died).

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Sometimes.

Yes and the Tony Cunningham one Shearer recalled when talking to Ian Wright about racism in football. Never knew about that one until I saw that. Dear me.

The Cunningham song was well intentioned but definitely of it’s time. His signing was the beginning of the end of the racist stuff from elements of our support though. And I’d say the Andy Cole signing effectively killed the racism stone dead.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

The Cunningham song was well intentioned but definitely of it’s time. His signing was the beginning of the end of the racist stuff from elements of our support though. And I’d say the Andy Cole signing effectively killed the racism stone dead.

Not too sure about that, I can recall hearing it sung with two pronunciations of Cunningham which lent it totally different meanings.

2 minutes ago, brummie said:

I fucking hate that version (everyone seems to have one) of the Napoli 'un giorno all'improviso' (ale ale ale, that one) that we turn out every 3 minutes. It makes me cringe, it's so unoriginal.

I remember loads more songs from the 70s and 80s that don't exist any more.

Although oddly, a couple of them which reference Nigel Spink, Tony Daley, David Platt and (Tony Cascarino) still get aired a bit. As does one referencing Paul Birch (RIP) and Alan McInally.

Is the Allez Allez song not an original from the dippers? I have noticed that more fanbases are starting to plagiarise it, with Villa being one of the main culprits.

1 minute ago, brummie said:

Not too sure about that, I can recall hearing it sung with two pronunciations of Cunningham which lent it totally different meanings.

Really? I might be thinking of a different song then. But the actual signing definitely put a big spoke in the wheel of our racist element back then.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Is the Allez Allez song not an original from the dippers? I have noticed that more fanbases are starting to plagiarise it, with Villa being one of the main culprits.

No, it originated with Napoli. 

Just now, Wandy said:

Really? I might be thinking of a different song then. But the actual signing definitely put a big spoke in the wheel of our racist element back then.

He's black, he's broon

He's playing for the Toon

Cunningham, Cunningham

5 minutes ago, brummie said:

Yeah, everyone else hates it too.

Although that one dates back to the 50s / 60s.

Another popular one, Hi Ho Aston Villa is weird as Wolves and Sheffield Wednesday also use that song (as mentioned on MOTD this year when Jeff Beck died).

I absolutely hate that Hi Ho one that gets sung. Also that Mull of Kintyre shit from Forest. Absolute cringefest stuff.

Just now, Wandy said:

I absolutely hate that Hi Ho one that gets sung. Also that Mull of Kintyre shit from Forest. Absolute cringefest stuff.

Easily the absolutely worst song sung anywhere in English football is the Spurs slow version of When the Spurs (Saints, actually you cunts) Go Marching In.

It's absolutely terrible.