Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Just now, Wandy said:

This is the thread to do exactly that though. I've already said that everything else about the club is perfect. Despite that, I'm still able to see that certain important stuff still needs addressing. a 6-1 mauling of the opposition isn't going to paper over that.

It's not really though, as threads go it's been more or less hijacked. All part and parcel of being on a forum, but just saying. We've just won 6-1, everyone's happy. Coming in here and seeing yet more whingeing about the atmosphere from the same people is fucking boring, shite craic, sorry.

15 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Just be happy your there what the hell is that meant to be?

Well if half he boring fuckers would move seats to allow like minded fans to be together it would help...hence should be happy wherever they are seated.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's not really though, as threads go it's been more or less hijacked. All part and parcel of being on a forum, but just saying. We've just won 6-1, everyone's happy. Coming in here and seeing yet more whingeing about the atmosphere from the same people is fucking boring, shite craic, sorry.

No, sorry, the thread was created to debate the match atmosphere. Which is what is happening here. If it's putting you on a downer then maybe stay out of the thread for a bit.

I'm over the moon about the result by the way. [emoji38]

A few observations seeing as this thread is kicking off. What a day, what a bloody result.

Atmosphere was a cauldron in the first 20 minutes. It was genuinely fantastic.

After that though? Bizarre. I was thinking we were heading to a  Leicester 7-1 atmosphere (fyi I was born in 1993 so never experienced it) but it sort of fizzled out. Credit to the Strawberry corner for trying to sing other songs (I heard the Andy Cole song/Oh when the Mags etc) - but clearly there’s a huge majority that just do not know the words to these songs and they can never get going outside of the 500 or so strong in the corner. The result of that means the majority in the ground probably do get bored and won’t sing again to EIEIEIO for the seventh time, or Who’s that team we call United.

Get the lunatics together and make it happen. 

Huge summer ahead. Get people moved together and @Greg get the Trust having these conversations with the club. 

18 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Nah. It's times like this that highlight the problem more intensely.

The club is magnificent in every way except for what is happening in the stands. If the people who run the club don't know there is a problem then they won't bother addressing it.

People more bothered about fucking match cam man.

I've always thought the atmosphere is better anywhere when the fans feel needed and the game is there to be won than when the game is won.

The Leicester 7-1 would be an example or any thrashing Man United have handed out over the years as opposed a tight game versus a rival.

Probably have a different outlook if the halves were reversed.

Either way, waste of life to get worked up about the atmosphere not being up to some standard instead of just enjoying that.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 minute ago, TheGuv said:

A few observations seeing as this thread is kicking off. What a day, what a bloody result.

After that though? Bizarre. I was thinking we were heading to a  Leicester 7-1 atmosphere (fyi I was born in 1993 so never experienced it) but it sort of fizzled out. Credit to the Strawberry corner for trying to sing other songs (I heard the Andy Cole song/Oh when the Mags etc) - but clearly there’s a huge majority that just do not know the words to these songs and they can never get going outside of the 500 or so strong in the corner. The result of that means the majority in the ground probably do get bored and won’t sing again to EIEIEIO for the seventh time, or Who’s that team we call United.

Huge summer ahead. Get people moved together and @Greg get the Trust having these conversations with the club. 

This isn't 1993 and still have terraces etc.  You do realise the stadium makes a difference to the atmosphere in all seaters and have many more families etc inside stadiums now?

Just now, Slim said:

Not sure why you are not allowed to be happy about the match and talk about the atomphere?

Not like its hard to do both or mutually exclusive.

Exactly. And one of the reasons I started this thread was so that other threads with "good will" wouldn't get diluted with comments that highlight less-than-positive stuff.

12 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Exactly conversations trust should have. 1800 safe standing but get lads grouped in gallowgate near them and in leazes corner. Annoys me fair few thousand are dotted round who are like minded...get them together.

Edited by NUFC91

17 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

So who didn't today, I was celebrating with 3 different people today?

Sounds great. But a few people seem to want to recreate the kind of match atmosphere they'd enjoyed instead of sitting waiting to be entertained.

Maybe times have moved on. Hope not

9 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

I've always thought the atmosphere is better anywhere when the fans feel needed and the game is there to be won than when the game is won.

The Leicester 7-1 would be an example or any thrashing Man United have handed out over the years as opposed a tight game versus a rival.

Probably have a different outlook if the halves were reversed.

Either way, waste of life to get more worked up about this than anything else.

Exactly, there was zero intensity to the game after 5-0 and it feeds into the grounds at all stadiums.

Edited by El Prontonise

The only answer is a singing enclosure but that’s not really what the standing section is being branded as which is a worry. 

We had standing at Wembley in our biggest game in years and by all accounts it wasn’t much better in there. 

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Happened during the KK days too that are possibly now being used as the gage.

Edited by Wolfcastle

As I said right at the beginning of the thread....the issue is not that NUFC now has crap support, it's the fact that the stadium is too top-heavy with spectators/casual fans and the traditional football fans are unable to get back in, and the ones that remain are too interspersed around the ground. These are two issues that need to be urgently addressed by the club.

On 02/03/2023 at 13:49, NUFC91 said:

Oh when the mags

Blaydon races

We love you newcastle

N and an e

Whos that team

We are the geordies

Howay the lads

We hate nottingham forest

We are the geordies the cock of north

They call us newcastle united.

The fullwell end

If you proud to be a geordie clap ya hands

Any obrien

If you want to go to heaven when ya die (black and white bonnet) 

United united united

We are the geordies of nufc

Somebody stole my sombrero

Terry hibert

Ginola (lola)

Ex players/players andy cole etc.

We've travelled far and wide.

On 02/03/2023 at 13:49, NUFC91 said:

These were all sang up in level 7 amongst others.. give me that any day of week...

Its simple what we need to do..get the lads together who want to stand amd educate youth..its possible.

Bumping this for the eieio/bruno in middle Adam Pearson crew....

4 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

This isn't 1993 and still have terraces etc.  You do realise the stadium makes a difference to the atmosphere in all seaters and have many more families etc inside stadiums now?

Yes, I am very aware of that. But I’ve also been part of the atmosphere in 2009-2012 when there was 3000 nutters aged anywhere from 12-50 in Leazes Level 7. That also wasn’t 1993. 

If you want to make excuses for the modern day demographic, be my guest. 

I attended as a 7 year old and was taught the songs by my old man and joined in with the old Toon Ultras as best as I could. I didn’t even know who Nottingham Forest were when I was singing about them as an 8 year old! 

I saw a little lad today playing a game on his phone next to his dad just after the fifth went in. If that’s the experience a dad and lad want these days then I and many others in this thread clearly have a very different mind set. 

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

As I said right at the beginning of the thread....the issue is not that NUFC now has crap support, it's the fact that the stadium is too top-heavy with spectators/casual fans and the traditional football fans are unable to get back in, and the ones that remain are too interspersed around the ground. These are two issues that need to be urgently addressed by the club.

This put better than any other post on here... all about a reshuffle and an "end"