Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

3 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Exactly, there was zero intensity to the game after 5-0 and it feeds into the grounds at all stadiums.

So basically, your benchmark is "all football grounds are like this now, so why should ours be any different". Sorry, but that's not good enough. The point you are missing is that fans are supposed to create intensity when games go flat. You are essentially condoning the support for simply reacting to what happens on the pitch, rather than them making a proper effort to have an effect on the events.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

So basically, your benchmark is "all football grounds are like this now, so why should ours be any different". Sorry, but that's not good enough. The point you are missing is that fans are supposed to create intensity when games go flat. You are essentially condoning the support for simply reacting to what happens on the pitch, rather than them making a proper effort to have an effect on the events.

Which law / rules makes it that football fans have to create an atmosphere?

Edited by El Prontonise

I think by modern Premier League standards our atmosphere is pretty good. It constantly gets commented on by BT/Sky, perhaps they are just playing along with the stereotype? Or is the atmosphere nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe? 

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with striving to be better. It isn't going to happen overnight though and they aren't suddenly going to make the whole lower Gallowgate a standing "signing section", it'll be done gradually, starting with the small section in the corner then expanded if it's successful.

I also wonder whether the hypothetical "Fan Park" would be used to play a role. If you have a large area for fans to congregate pre-match, have a few drinks and be encouraged to get some chants going (would music & lyrics on big screens be to cringey?) then perhaps that would permeate into the ground?

Anyway, we've just humped Spurs 6-1 so I'm finding it hard to be annoyed about anything tbh

There is no ground or arena in any country in the world in any sport where the fans will be in full voice at 5-0 up (or the equivalent) man :lol: that’s just a completely unreasonable expectation unless you’re going to downsize every stadium to 5,000, sell tickets only to Ultras, and kick out all the normies.

1 hour ago, Holloway said:

It seems a bit daft to be bickering about the atmosphere after that feast

I'd agree but when you see the 2 Brazilian lads trying to gee up abit from the crowd it was pretty sad that there wasn't much coming back for them. They'll probably be thinking what a bunch of miserable bastards

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Not atmosphere I know, but couldn’t believe the amount of people leaving early. 3:45pm on a Sunday afternoon, why not stay another 10 minutes and applaud the lads off ffs?

Aye, that's the thing you should be pissed off about imo.  Was stupidly high number especially with it being an afternoon kick off.

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

I'd agree but when you see the 2 Brazilian lads trying to gee up abit from the crowd it was pretty sad that there wasn't much coming back for them. They'll probably be thinking what a bunch of miserable bastards

I didn't notice it on the tv in the pub tbh, I was too busy having it. Fair enough

1 minute ago, El Prontonise said:

Aye, that's the thing you should be pissed off about imo.  Was stupidly high number especially with it being an afternoon kick off.

Was the same in the 37th minute before half time as well. 

Don’t understand it. Hard as fuck to get a ticket and at 5-0 people are more arsed about going for a lifting pint of Carling. 

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Was the same in the 37th minute before half time as well. 

Don’t understand it. Hard as fuck to get a ticket and at 5-0 people are more arsed about going for a lifting pint of Carling. 

Quite glad those who turn up late missed almost everything today (unless it was genuine excuse).

Edited by El Prontonise

10 minutes ago, Holloway said:

I didn't notice it on the tv in the pub tbh, I was too busy having it. Fair enough

Aye on more than one occasion as well

I know the South Americans like to do it, but Joelinton genuinely looked frustrated when he was doing it.

Abit of fuck me we are putting this show on for yous give us a bit back man

Considering what was happening on the pitch I was hoping it was just the mics on tv, but as much as I was loving the performance, that’s a little embarrassing the atmosphere really  was as flat as it came across on tv, based on what people have said.

Cant fathom how you could resist rubbing it into the Spurs fans if nothing else. 

Will standing in the corner make any difference next season? There’s no changing of seats for it to be a singing section I understand? If not, has there been any dialogue with the club about such a premise? I can’t bare to see SJP become like the etihad.

19 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

Considering what was happening on the pitch I was hoping it was just the mics on tv, but as much as I was loving the performance, that’s a little embarrassing the atmosphere really  was as flat as it came across on tv, based on what people have said.

Cant fathom how you could resist rubbing it into the Spurs fans if nothing else. 

Will standing in the corner make any difference next season? There’s no changing of seats for it to be a singing section I understand? If not, has there been any dialogue with the club about such a premise? I can’t bare to see SJP become like the etihad.

the corner isnt the problem.

There were spells of people just chatting to each other. Really strange atmosphere when it’s like that. Villa 4-0 was similar.

Today, everyone seemed knackered after 5 goals in 20 minutes. It is always the way with games like that. I bet it would be the same at most grounds up and down the country. Except perhaps in a derby game. 

It’s been said on here loads of times. When we are cruising and comfortable. The intensity goes out of the game and out of the crowd as a result. All that nervous tension and energy gone in 8 minutes! Yet in tight games, the atmosphere can be electric. 

FWIW, I thought there were a few more songs than usual and it got pretty loud. The Spurs fan I was with said he was surprised most stands join in with the chants and said it got ridiculously loud at times. But I suppose that was always going to happen with the goals flying in like that. 

I’ll never understand people fucking off on 37 minutes. Leaving on 88. Or wankers that are up and down all game for a pint or a line. But that happens every game. 

26 minutes ago, huss9 said:

the corner isnt the problem.

I'm just wondering if the rest of the ground cant feed off the corner during a game like that, does another adjustment in the ground not need to happen? Perhaps an example of why there should be a separate corner designated as a singing section, so the two can bounce off each other.

3 hours ago, Wandy said:

As I said right at the beginning of the thread....the issue is not that NUFC now has crap support, it's the fact that the stadium is too top-heavy with spectators/casual fans and the traditional football fans are unable to get back in, and the ones that remain are too interspersed around the ground. These are two issues that need to be urgently addressed by the club.

Agree with this tbh, and I say this knowing some of my own new rich family are going to these games when they don't have the slightest fucking clue what is going on. But I guess this is how it always starts so maybe we have to accept this as a natural progression.