Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

10 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I think I’ve just come to the conclusion the support is fucking shit in terms of songs and inability to create any kind of consistent vocal backing.

Not even sure there’s an answer anymore you either accept it, or become an armchair fan, think I’m leaning towards the latter.

We have morphed into a generic fanbase. Sing when you’re winning and mute when you’re not. Add in that we’ve got one of the most limited and plagiarised songbook and you have a pretty grim conclusion.

10 minutes ago, jack j said:

Anyone else cringe when they see social media posts along the lines of

"Love this, we've waited so long for it, what an experience, we'll be back"

Small time

Probably watched the match through their phone camera as well.

5 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Probably watched the match through their phone camera as well.

If you told half these cunts they couldn't make videos or post on social media from their trips away am convinced they'd stop going

24 minutes ago, jack j said:

Small time

I get that sentiment, but that should lead to a good atmosphere. That should mean you're unfazed by losing.That's pretty much what being a Scotland fan has been like most of my life (no expectations, just there to enjoy it) and we've always got class atmospheres.

Done 3 games this week and in order I’d say Arsenal > Man Utd > Dortmund…

As much as people moan about SJP I definitely enjoy home games more than aways these days when in the past it was always the other way in the 90’s/00’s.

Too much is read into it all mind. Goals and/or a great performance go a long way.

On a personal note I started probably our biggest chant tonight (Pogo if you love the Toon) in response to the Yellow Wall ?

‘People being drunk’ may be the worst excuse for a shit atmosphere I’ve heard yet.

There are a lot of social ills caused by public drunkenness, but one positive is that it tends to make for lairy and loud away ends.

Every time the camera panned to the away end it seemed to be full of half-and-half scarfers and passivity.   They didn’t look pissed-up to me. 

Someone else mentioned Feyenoord in 2002 above - I was there, and me and the lads I was with started pretty early that morning in Amsterdam and were well served by the time we got to Rotterdam for the match - and so was most of the away end.  I don’t remember that being a ‘half and half scarf’ experience - that away end was crackers (in a good way).  Singing AYE AYE LIPPI LIPPI AYE

5 hours ago, jack j said:

Small time

It is pretty FA Cup 3rd round day patter tbh.  I love European football being back, but this feels completely normal to me - I missed its absence rather owt else.  We’re not plucky underdogs. 

If I’ve ever been on a two or three day bender for a Stag do, a European away trip or what have you. I tend to be hanging to fuck by the morning of the second day. By late morning/afternoon, after two or theee beers I’m like “I can’t do this. This is grim”. By mid afternoon and evening you’re bouncing off the walls again ten pints deep. Singing, dancing, messing about etc. 

I’d love to know how some manage to get worse and worse as the day goes on drinking. Must be a shit experience if that happens to you every time you go on a sesh. Or it’s just a made up excuse for shit support. 

36 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

If I’ve ever been on a two or three day bender for a Stag do, a European away trip or what have you. I tend to be hanging to fuck by the morning of the second day. By late morning/afternoon, after two or theee beers I’m like “I can’t do this. This is grim”. By mid afternoon and evening you’re bouncing off the walls again ten pints deep. Singing, dancing, messing about etc. 

I’d love to know how some manage to get worse and worse as the day goes on drinking. Must be a shit experience if that happens to you every time you go on a sesh. Or it’s just a made up excuse for shit support. 

I bet the atmosphere in Dortmund away from the ground was better than in - not entirely a new thing it was in Bruges in November 2012. 

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

‘People being drunk’ may be the worst excuse for a shit atmosphere I’ve heard yet.

There are a lot of social ills caused by public drunkenness, but one positive is that it tends to make for lairy and loud away ends.

Every time the camera panned to the away end it seemed to be full of half-and-half scarfers and passivity.   They didn’t look pissed-up to me. 

Someone else mentioned Feyenoord in 2002 above - I was there, and me and the lads I was with started pretty early that morning in Amsterdam and were well served by the time we got to Rotterdam for the match - and so was most of the away end.  I don’t remember that being a ‘half and half scarf’ experience - that away end was crackers (in a good way).  Singing AYE AYE LIPPI LIPPI AYE

Can’t comment on the scarf nonces but regarding the drink. Last time I was in Germany drinking, I obviously thought I could drink loads of Steins and smoke and be fine. Ended up hurling in the bogs and almost face planting a urinal. I think a lot of people misjudge drinking on the continent/on holiday. Remember my mate living in Brussels when Scotland came to play saying it was a really poor atmosphere from Scotland, but also noting how many were in an absolute state around the city. So drinking doesn’t necessarily = loud. You wanna feel zesty not fuckfaced.

The club must be given away more tickets than they letting on or more fans selling on...

Few of my mates who are loud and vocal had to go in home end as they tried to get into ground at kick off but stewarts said too full.

Looking forward to Paris when less touts tickets be flying about.

Edited by NUFC91

32 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

I bet the atmosphere in Dortmund away from the ground was better than in - not entirely a new thing it was in Bruges in November 2012. 

I remember coming back from the ground after being marched by their police and was slightly gutted I missed the square in all honesty :lol:

It looked mental 

I was in the home end and it was surreal, black and white everywhere, people singing Toon songs on the terraces, Dortmund fans didn't give a fuck, seemed to just think we were nuts lol. Half time we took over the place, was class. Away end seemed real quite in 2nd half, as mentioned heard there was a lot of bother and bunch of fighting, no fucking need. 

10 hours ago, PCW1983 said:

There’s loads of tickets changed hands today around the square. 

The home fans were ok, It got loader when they scored their second….that said, even the ok beats SJP most of the time. 
I really can’t reiterate how utter shite our support has been though, in my opinion from everything I’ve seen it’s because a large contingent are utterly spannered and a good deal of them are just dick heads…..if I never hear the Anthony Gordon song again, it’ll be to soon. 

Aye, on the train back to Dusseldorf Airport today.

The state of some of our fans last night man.  Absolutely mortal and by and large a fucking embarrassment. Some cunts could barely talk and were smashing glasses in restaurants.

Echo the sentiment around the Gordon song. It’s replaced the Bruno in the middle chant as horrendously over sung.

Our songbook is absolutely shite.

I can only go by my own experience last night, but I was surrounded by paralytic drunken zombies. Literally, in the immediate vicinity, say in the 50-100 people around me, I’d say maybe 10% were sober enough to even talk and stand, let alone sing.

Probably the worst away end I’ve been in, to be honest.

15 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

None if one bothers singing 

Thats fair, sounds like most of them were pissed days before and never stopped. I can understand celebrating being there but you atleast want the memorys, save it till after the match