Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

34 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Great to have fans like Keith back, he’ll be in the same position as many of us who ditched it and lost season tickets/points. Obviously knows a lot more folk to call in favours with tickets, wouldn’t begrudge him though helped many out over the years and great bloke.

Wonder if he starts running a regular bus again. Used to go with him before he wrapped it in, remember doing Portsmouth away on it 2007ish, was absolutely scorching. Class day despite the token defeat. 

32 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I’m in the minority who thought this was horrific then? 😬

Nah plenty think it was shite.

Probably the rip off of the European tune that puts people off it. Rangers version is the best of the British teams. First British team to use it as well.

I wouldn't worry about it catching on at Newcastle anyway. Our support doenst go beyond toon toon black and white army for our lyrical geniuses

2 hours ago, jack j said:

Nah plenty think it was shite.

Probably the rip off of the European tune that puts people off it. Rangers version is the best of the British teams. First British team to use it as well.

I wouldn't worry about it catching on at Newcastle anyway. Our support doenst go beyond toon toon black and white army for our lyrical geniuses

Some of the lyrics are good but agree it’s just a rip off yet again, we need some original songs, or just bring back some of the old ones.

Always thought it was the scousers who sang that ole ole ole song first.

Edited by Whitley mag

4 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Great to have fans like Keith back, he’ll be in the same position as many of us who ditched it and lost season tickets/points. Obviously knows a lot more folk to call in favours with tickets, wouldn’t begrudge him though helped many out over the years and great bloke.

Aye it's good to see people looking after him for tickets now considering how he looked after so many back in the day.

We first started travelling with him back in 1994 and for the first season or so I struggled to get tickets for the big games at places like Old Trafford and Elland Road but he always found 1 for me somehow.

Reckon I must have done almost 200 away games with him from 1994-2008. One of the best things about Ashley leaving was him coming back.

5 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Aye it's good to see people looking after him for tickets now considering how he looked after so many back in the day.

We first started travelling with him back in 1994 and for the first season or so I struggled to get tickets for the big games at places like Old Trafford and Elland Road but he always found 1 for me somehow.

Reckon I must have done almost 200 away games with him from 1994-2008. One of the best things about Ashley leaving was him coming back.

He’s a great lad helped me out when I was younger - to repay the favour I had contacts at GNER so managed to get him some reduced tickets when they were left stranded after delayed flights etc. 

He spent his exiled years following the happy cats and saw doctors touring so he obviously likes his travel as well as football /the toon !!

Did anyone go on his Dortmund trip - if it included a hotel stay it was canny value? 

2 hours ago, OCOCOL said:

He’s a great lad helped me out when I was younger - to repay the favour I had contacts at GNER so managed to get him some reduced tickets when they were left stranded after delayed flights etc. 

He spent his exiled years following the happy cats and saw doctors touring so he obviously likes his travel as well as football /the toon !!

Did anyone go on his Dortmund trip - if it included a hotel stay it was canny value? 

Think Dortmund was flights only.

10 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

8 hours ago, Holloway said:

Something has to improve, it's at an all time low

Probably why it was seen as half decent, the current bar is so low.

We definitely need some original stuff though I agree, the Bruno in the middle and Gordon song are hideous.

Ive got an awful feeling it’s all a lost cause though, the support seems very fair weather and only interested in singing if where winning.

The days of supporting the team are gone in the main, if the other teams support is loud they just don’t bother,  or they’d rather video and take pictures.

Its a real pitiful situation for us lot who’ve experienced different over the years, but maybe time to just accept it for what it is and accept it’s now either youngins who can’t/won’t sing, or folk who prefer to sit in silence like it’s a trip to the theatre.

Didn’t even apply for Man U I’m done with the whole thing now it’s a depressing experience.

Edited by Whitley mag

17 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

We definitely need some original stuff though I agree, the Bruno in the middle and Gordon song are hideous.

Ive got an awful feeling it’s all a lost cause though, the support seems very fair weather and only interested in singing if where winning.

The days of supporting the team are gone in the main, if the other teams support is loud they just don’t bother,  or they’d rather video and take pictures.

Its a real pitiful situation for us lot who’ve experienced different over the years, but maybe time to just accept it for what it is and accept it’s now either youngins who can’t/won’t sing, or folk who prefer to sit in silence like it’s a trip to the theatre.

Didn’t even apply for Man U I’m done with the whole thing now it’s a depressing experience.

The ‘Bruno in the middle’ song genuinely makes my teeth itch.  Utterly cringeworthy. 

19 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Went to loads too - I don’t think I ever rang him and got a ‘sorry mate, nee seats left’ answer, either.  Drinking on the coach down was always great fun - as was the stop-off on the way back, usually in the early stages of a hangover before pouring some more rocket fuel down.  The odd grim trip sticks in the head - the 5-2 defeat to Blackburn being one, where the bog was blocked and was gently overflowing down the aisle whenever the bus stopped too quickly …

It’s been commented on quite a lot how these days we sing ridiculously fast. I don’t remember us being like this back in the day and I was wondering if it was just my memory that was tricking me. Well, this video confirms that it wasn’t, and we did used to sing songs at a pace where people could actually understand what was being sung.

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It’s been commented on quite a lot how these days we sing ridiculously fast. I don’t remember us being like this back in the day and I was wondering if it was just my memory that was tricking me. Well, this video confirms that it wasn’t, and we did used to sing songs at a pace where people could actually understand what was being sung.

Goosebumps, the constant Howay the lads and the Blaydon Races sang properly.

5 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Remember watching it before the League Cup final earlier this year, got me. Then the match happened, need to get Howay the Lads chant returned for cup matches at least.

12 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Goosebumps, the constant Howay the lads and the Blaydon Races sang properly.

Yep, this is why it’s so frustrating for those of us who have witnessed what it used to be like. I was at two of the games on that vid, Spurs away in the cup in 87 and Everton away in 88. The noise was like that throughout the entire 90 mins.

I’m not saying match atmospheres can get back to that level but surely there can be something that at least gets reasonably close. But the club have to help make it happen too.

20 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Brilliant memories from the terraces, I still get an intake of breath from that Keegan debut goal 

3 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Brilliant memories from the terraces, I still get an intake of breath from that Keegan debut goal 

Must admit I would have loved to have been at Anfield for that cup game but it was just before my time. 

Interesting that we sang YNWA occasionally back then. The only time I ever experienced it was on the last day of the 88/89 season at Old Trafford, when we had already been relegated. The whole day was just a singalong for us and we took immense glee in winding up the Man U fans by singing it constantly.

Edited by Wandy

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Must admit I would have loved to have been at Anfield for that cup game but it was just before my time. 

Interesting that we sang YNWA occasionally back then. The only time I ever experienced it was on the last day of the 88/89 season at Old Trafford, when we had already been relegated. The whole day was just a singalong for us and we took immense glee in winding up the Man U fans by singing it constantly.

YNWA was a regular in the 70's early 80's, it ended by being speeded up with the clapping in between the lines

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Went to loads too - I don’t think I ever rang him and got a ‘sorry mate, nee seats left’ answer, either.  Drinking on the coach down was always great fun - as was the stop-off on the way back, usually in the early stages of a hangover before pouring some more rocket fuel down.  The odd grim trip sticks in the head - the 5-2 defeat to Blackburn being one, where the bog was blocked and was gently overflowing down the aisle whenever the bus stopped too quickly …

We were at that one too. We got in 10 mins late and I remember walking in and one of the stewards saying we were 2-0 down and had a man sent off. Thought he was winding us up. He wasn't!

6 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

The young lads are fucking useless these days...more bothered about vaping and their stone island than out else. I'm not old (just shy of 33) but when I was 18 we were pissed up, not a care in the world and ganin daft for the 90 mins. This new crop more bothered about getting on some away day instagram page.

U.k football really is heading in a shite direction, more idiots like tyneside life Adam Pearson etc just there to film shite.