Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

27 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I can easily name 11 home games from second half of 21-22 and 22-23 that were flat as fuck. It’s all dependent on where you are sat. 

- Chelsea home 21-22

- Man City home 21-22

- Cambridge home 21-22

- Watford home 21-22

- Liverpool home 21-22

- Palace home 22-23

- Bournemouth home 22-23 (after the Queen)

- Bournemouth home 22-23 (Carabao)

- Leeds home 22-23

- West Ham 22-23

- Liverpool home 22-23 (apart from the Bobby tribute, awful atmosphere)

I don’t think the atmosphere this year is all that different to last season really, apart from less Wor Flags displays.

IMG-5897.jpg

Edited by bobbydazzla

2 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

There are definitely things we can do to improve atmosphere but it does feel like making the jibe today is a bit weird considering it was actually pretty great in parts. Still, glad they've done it if they actually read the replies.

Don't think it was great At any part like. I was sat in Leazes corner level 2, and struggled to hear the corner for most of the game, nothing from the rest of the ground. 

I wasn’t there yesterday and didn’t follow the game at all but watched the highlights on MOTD this morning and it sounded pitiful. That fucking ee-I-o song is fucking cringeworthy and yet it’s the most sung in our already-limited songbook.

I’m glad that Mehrdad posted his tweet in a spur of the moment. It shows that lack of atmosphere is now being noticed by the owners.

I spoke to a lass I know yesterday who went to the game yesterday too. Before the takeover she had never been near SJP, yet she has won the ballot for five league games this season and has been successful for next week and also Fulham coming up. Yet there are people who have barely won a ballot all season.

She also said there were Chelsea fans in L7, where she was yesterday, and described how they were getting howked when they equalised.

Everything else about the club is so amazing so to see the state of the support and atmosphere is genuinely infuriating. I hope they know that they have got to get rid of the current ticketing situation entirely. It’s too easy for any random to get a ticket now.

But that’s not the only problem. As has already been pointed out, even our so-called “proper support” isn’t even that good. A shocking song book and lack of terrace culture now exists even within the hardcore of the fan base. It’s so fucking frustrating. 

Edited by Wandy

Probably only the 2nd seat out of the 5 ballots I've won where I've been happy with the seat, yesterday. Was in block F of the East Stand so near the Corner, canny view and great lads around me who all sang most of the game and I was able to have a bit craic with. Complete antithesis of where I got a seat for Palace (low down, shit view, was asked to sit down when I stood up when Murphy was played through on the break, no one singing). 

Got a bit annoyed at the owners having a pop when it's the changes they've implemented that have played a huge role in why the atmosphere is the way it has been. Randomly allocated seats, ballots and unlimited membership, corporate getting huge chunks of away tickets (40% of the Luton allocation ffs :lol: ) Sort it out or get tae fuck.

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Probably only the 2nd seat out of the 5 ballots I've won where I've been happy with the seat, yesterday. Was in block F of the East Stand so near the Corner, canny view and great lads around me who all sang most of the game and I was able to have a bit craic with. Complete antithesis of where I got a seat for Palace (low down, shit view, was asked to sit down when I stood up when Murphy was played through on the break, no one singing). 

Got a bit annoyed at the owners having a pop when it's the changes they've implemented that have played a huge role in why the atmosphere is the way it has been. Randomly allocated seats, ballots and unlimited membership, corporate getting huge chunks of away tickets (40% of the Luton allocation ffs :lol: ) Sort it out or get tae fuck.

Fucking hell. I would hang upside down naked dangling from barbed wire to be in the ground at the minute.

Get tae fuck cos Hayden doesn't get everything he wants FFS.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Fucking hell. I would hang upside down naked dangling from barbed wire to be in the ground at the minute.

Get tae fuck cos Hayden doesn't get everything he wants FFS.

And you'd likely be able to get in if not for a ballot system which is decreasing your chances as the season goes on due to unlimited membership. Or you can spend time refreshing the stadium map for hours on end the couple days before the game itself.

And eh? :lol: I meant they can get tae fuck criticising the atmosphere when the changes they/their employees have implemented for this season have impacted it for the worse. 

I don’t think the atmosphere has got any worse like, it’s been up and down for decades.

I think at the start of the game people were just a bit nervous because we thought we might lose. 

We’ve talked about whether we want orchestrated singing like European and MLS ultras. If we don’t want that, then the people will respond to the situation. Sometimes that is loud and sometimes it’s nervous. 

Of course it can be improved by creating an ‘ultras’ section and/or creating more safe standing and allowing people to choose their seats. 

Either way silly post from Mehdrad. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

And you'd likely be able to get in if not for a ballot system which is decreasing your chances as the season goes on due to unlimited membership. Or you can spend time refreshing the stadium map for hours on end the couple days before the game itself.

And eh? :lol: I meant they can get tae fuck criticising the atmosphere when the changes they/their employees have implemented for this season have impacted it for the worse. 

I'm already in as a ST holder but, don't mind the ballots as a fairer way of doing things and my mates who use them are about 50% success rate.

There's not going to be a perfect system and it will evolve. 

Have the ownership criticised the atmosphere ?

Just now, madras said:

I'm already in as a ST holder but, don't mind the ballots as a fairer way of doing things and my mates who use them are about 50% success rate.

There's not going to be a perfect system and it will evolve. 

Have the ownership criticised the atmosphere ?

1 minute ago, madras said:

I've no problem with that, do you really think it's a ballot that's holding the atmosphere back ?

Refer you to bobbydazzla's post.

14 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

Ticketing is without a doubt affecting the atmosphere 

I want to stand and be vocal, win lose or draw I want to be there to support not spectate 

But I’m getting tickets where I can’t stand and be vocal because everyone around me is sat in silence  and that’s the way they like it 

So my voice is no longer contributing to the atmosphere, whereas last season it was, as I was able to buy tickets in a section where I knew I’d be with like minded folk 

Now multiply that by hundreds or thousands of people and you’re telling me it doesn’t affect the atmosphere ? 

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Refer you to bobbydazzla's post.

I disagree with that, as it's always been like that except in the days when you could rock up on the day and pick where you want to be.

It just all smacks of "I want everyone to be like me".

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I'm basically being blamed for lack of atmosphere because I'm getting easier access to tickets through the ballot. Some of you are cunts like. Atmosphere has been up and down through the 90s, 00s, 10s....

There's a myth of atmosphere, it was often shit when the Gallowgate was an open terrace but it seemed great if you were in amongst it. It sounded shit from the paddocks though. All seaters took some atmosphere away due to the space around people so you couldn't lose yourself in the crowd.

Rant here but I think some people have been spoiled to fuck with having the run of what they wanted when Ashley was here. Tickets whenever they wanted, etc.

The Keegan era unless you were a season ticket holder, access was pretty much impossible from around 92 to 01 when the ground extended to 52,000 plus. It was "season ticket only", there was no public sale, there were no ballots. Maybe it's because of this I'm more relaxed and happy to get what I can get whether it's 4-5 games a season or 14-15. 

18 minutes ago, madras said:

I've no problem with that, do you really think it's a ballot that's holding the atmosphere back ?

Of course it is. Any random casual spectator, including away fans, can get a ticket in home ends now. People who have been going for decades are now regularly being denied tickets because of these people getting in ahead. It's too easy for people with a passing interest to get tickets. 

1 hour ago, madras said:

I disagree with that, as it's always been like that except in the days when you could rock up on the day and pick where you want to be.

It just all smacks of "I want everyone to be like me".

100% don’t want everyone to be like me. if that’s how you’ve interpreted my post then you misunderstood.

We should have the broadest spectrum of genuine fans in the ground 

But when we can’t choose where to sit we’ve got primary school kids in Safe Standing and blokes who want to stand and be vocal sat in sections with old gadgies who want to sit quietly and so on 

Personally I want to stand and be vocal, but now I can rarely get seats in areas where that’s possible due to the ballot and random allocation

And on the flip side we’ve had comments about parents with kids ending up in Strawberry Corner and having an awful experience due to the language

Multiply by hundreds or thousands of people and it’s contributing to a consistently flat atmosphere

And the owners have now realised there’s an issue 

Edited by bobbydazzla

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t think the atmosphere has got any worse like, it’s been up and down for decades.

I think at the start of the game people were just a bit nervous because we thought we might lose. 

We’ve talked about whether we want orchestrated singing like European and MLS ultras. If we don’t want that, then the people will respond to the situation. Sometimes that is loud and sometimes it’s nervous. 

Of course it can be improved by creating an ‘ultras’ section and/or creating more safe standing and allowing people to choose their seats. 

Either way silly post from Mehdrad. 

Aye but when we were 4-1 up against ten men Chelsea it was flat as a pancake as well 

I despise the ballot system but I don’t think it’s that element of the ticketing thats effecting the atmosphere, it’s the auto allocation of seats. People who make noise could sit/stand together if they could pick their seats.