Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

7 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

We were at that one too. We got in 10 mins late and I remember walking in and one of the stewards saying we were 2-0 down and had a man sent off. Thought he was winding us up. He wasn't!

Haha same happened to me!  I was half cut, and had to count our players

• 2 weeks later...

Well it’d be louder if your employees hadn’t completely fucked the ticketing situation Mehrdad 

Was in Milburn Paddock today and it was like a library

I totally understand that some people don’t want to stand and sing, but to sit in silence and not even react at events unfolding on the pitch takes some doing  

People only there to spectate and not support, happy to cheer a goal and piss off at 35 mins & 80 mins 

Awful.

Wish I could get in Strawberry Corner and make a racket with like minded folk, like I did every game last season 

Edited by bobbydazzla

It was shite today like, I was in level 7 and barely heard the lower bowl. As said above though, one of the key reasons it’s shit is due to the ridiculous ticketing system.

Two lads in front of me, couple of mullet sporting whoppers filming Chelsea’s free kick goal. Who the fuck does that? Sat there in silent and rocked up after 20 minutes.

Lad behind me clearly a Chelsea fan as well. People just sat in silence, on their big day out.

Wouldn’t call it a soulless experience like. The Dortmund game was a real low point for me but there have been some decent home crowds so far this season. Looking forward to Man U and Milan coming up where I think the atmosphere should be class in both. Needs to be absolutely bouncing for both games and I’ll be gutted if it isnt

46 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Well it’d be louder if your employees hadn’t completely fucked the ticketing situation Mehrdad 

Was in Milburn Paddock today and it was like a library

I totally understand that some people don’t want to stand and sing, but to sit in silence and not even react at events unfolding on the pitch takes some doing  

People only there to spectate and not support, happy to cheer a goal and piss off at 35 mins & 80 mins 

Awful.

Wish I could get in Strawberry Corner and make a racket with like minded folk, like I did every game last season 

The atmosphere had fuck all to do with the ticketing situation. It’s regularly like that and has been for years. For whatever reason the atmosphere one week is incredible (PSG) followed by shite. 

8 minutes ago, RS said:

Need to get rid of the piss-stained Ashley apologists. Will do wonders for atmosphere 

You have a point the twitter world seem to be blaming the tourists, but it was this lot that sat in silence at Wembley waving their flags like mutes.

20 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

The atmosphere had fuck all to do with the ticketing situation. It’s regularly like that and has been for years. For whatever reason the atmosphere one week is incredible (PSG) followed by shite. 

Ticketing is without a doubt affecting the atmosphere 

I want to stand and be vocal, win lose or draw I want to be there to support not spectate 

But I’m getting tickets where I can’t stand and be vocal because everyone around me is sat in silence  and that’s the way they like it 

So my voice is no longer contributing to the atmosphere, whereas last season it was, as I was able to buy tickets in a section where I knew I’d be with like minded folk 

Now multiply that by hundreds or thousands of people and you’re telling me it doesn’t affect the atmosphere ? 

Edited by bobbydazzla

Mehrdad out of order there. Atmosphere wasn’t there today tbh but he has contributed to it. It’s a joke at the turnstiles and I had offers of 2 last minute tickets today that I couldn’t pass on to “proper” supporters. Mate has to put his up for resale so his seat

wasn’t left empty and the lad who bought it spent half his time taking photos. Meanwhile, the lad on the other side of me was videoing Sterling’s goal.

I agree with @bobbydazzla in terms of there being too many areas of the ground where it’s almost impossible to sing consistently as no one around you joins in. The solution is to make more singing sections in each stand. That way, you reduce the risk of the ballot landing you in a dead zone 

5 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Mehrdad out of order there. Atmosphere wasn’t there today tbh but he has contributed to it. It’s a joke at the turnstiles and I had offers of 2 last minute tickets today that I couldn’t pass on to “proper” supporters. Mate has to put his up for resale so his seat

wasn’t left empty and the lad who bought it spent half his time taking photos. Meanwhile, the lad on the other side of me was videoing Sterling’s goal.

The only way I can describe the people in level 7 today is “weird”. They just looked like they didn’t belong there. 

7 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

The only way I can describe the people in level 7 today is “weird”. They just looked like they didn’t belong there. 

That was what it was like for Dortmund up there. Only home game I've been to this season and it was completely bizarre. Has put me off applying in subsequent ballots tbh.

23 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Ticketing is without a doubt affecting the atmosphere 

I want to stand and be vocal, win lose or draw I want to be there to support not spectate 

But I’m getting tickets where I can’t stand and be vocal because everyone around me is sat in silence  and that’s the way they like it 

So my voice is no longer contributing to the atmosphere, whereas last season it was, as I was able to buy tickets in a section where I knew I’d be with like minded folk 

Now multiply that by hundreds or thousands of people and you’re telling me it doesn’t affect the atmosphere ? 

You’re right to an extent, of course. But you can’t tell me that last season and many seasons before, we regularly had turgid atmospheres. A few more this season, sure.

I think the biggest obvious issue between this season and last is that Wor Flags haven’t seemed as present this season, because focus has been on CL games. Last season it felt like a lot of games were Wor Flag spectacles which helped massively in building atmosphere. They were there today obviously, but it was a rehash of earlier stuff, and there is perhaps a bit of desensitisation to it when people have seen it all before.

I’m not saying it should all be on Wor Flags of course… I’m just trying to find the obvious differences between this season and last.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

You’re right to an extent, of course. But you can’t tell me that last season and many seasons before, we regularly had turgid atmospheres. A few more this season, sure.

I think the biggest obvious issue between this season and last is that Wor Flags haven’t seemed as present this season, because focus has been on CL games. Last season it felt like a lot of games were Wor Flag spectacles which helped massively in building atmosphere. They were there today obviously, but it was a rehash of earlier stuff, and there is perhaps a bit of desensitisation to it when people have seen it all before.

I’m not saying it should all be on Wor Flags of course… I’m just trying to find the obvious differences between this season and last.

I think Wor Flags have masked the atmosphere issue for a long time, the truth is after the display ends the place falls flat anyway 90% of the time.

There’s a real lack of supporter culture at St James away from the strawberry corner, from lack of noise to non existent song book.

Whilst the current owners must accept some blame, I’m not against their criticism if it opens up some dialogue with fans on how to improve the atmosphere.

From the stream playing on my phone today it sounded loud😂

Fair play to Mehrdad imo.. yes the random seat allocation doesn’t help create an atmosphere, but it’s still not the greatest excuse.

Mentioned it before, brought my Mrs up for the first time for the Villa game sat in the Leazes. Thought she was gonna fall in love with the place.. now not arsed about coming after claiming "You’ve only got one song". This is the first game of the season where we won 5-1😂

Was stood in the standing section for the Liverpool game, first half absolutely fucking rocking but we went dead after about 50-60 mins.

Can’t put my finger on the root cause. Better seating and singing/standing sections on the other side will help, but it’s down to all of us to sing our fucking heart out. We’ve come so far from where we were a few years ago, baffles me why most can’t be arsed. 

Edited by ryanegg

12 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Comparing the atmosphere pre-Oct 2021 isn’t a fair comparison as for a decade before that the club had been dying a slow and painful death

How many games between Oct 21 & May 23 had a turgid atmosphere ? I don’t remember many, but then I was always in noisy areas. 

Not every game will be rocking, it’s just not possible as the opposition, game situation, kick off time all play a part, but it’s been consistently flat this season even though we’ve been winning most games 

And I think a major factor is the shite ticketing policy 

Edited by bobbydazzla

16 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Comparing the atmosphere pre-Oct 2021 isn’t a fair comparison as for a decade before that the club had been dying a slow and painful death

How many games between Oct 21 & May 23 had a turgid atmosphere ? I don’t remember many, but then I was always in noisy areas. 

Not every game will be rocking, it’s just not possible as the opposition, game situation, kick off time all play a part, but it’s been consistently flat this season even though we’ve been winning most games 

And I think a major factor is the shite ticketing policy 

I can easily name 11 home games from second half of 21-22 and 22-23 that were flat as fuck. It’s all dependent on where you are sat. 

- Chelsea home 21-22

- Man City home 21-22

- Cambridge home 21-22

- Watford home 21-22

- Liverpool home 21-22

- Palace home 22-23

- Bournemouth home 22-23 (after the Queen)

- Bournemouth home 22-23 (Carabao)

- Leeds home 22-23

- West Ham 22-23

- Liverpool home 22-23 (apart from the Bobby tribute, awful atmosphere)

I don’t think the atmosphere this year is all that different to last season really, apart from less Wor Flags displays.