Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

47 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Kept checking the website all day yesterday and at 4pm managed to get a ticket in the back row of the Strawberry Corner. First time I've been in there for a couple of years and it's absolutely brilliant! Just constant singing from start to finish. They never let up!

A bigger standing area is a must because the difference it makes to the atmosphere is unbelievable.

it can often feel like you’ve been at a different game to everyone else 

I hate that I can hardly ever get tickets round there this season, anywhere else in the ground just feels dead by comparison 

Edited by bobbydazzla

6 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

it can often feel like you’ve been at a different game to everyone else 

I hate that I can hardly ever get tickets round there this season, anywhere else in the ground just feels dead by comparison 

I think this is often the issue with the atmosphere discussion.

I’m in the same seat as last year and tbh haven’t really found a great deal of difference to last year, atmosphere-wise (obviously some games are always better than others). Yet others on here, and elsewhere, will say it’s rubbish in comparison.

But if you were someone who was used to getting in and around the Strawberry corner, and you’re now in L7 or somewhere, you can fully understand why that person would think it is rubbish in comparison.

So that kind of leads me to coming round to the way of thinking that it’s not necessarily the ballot itself that’s the major issue, it’s more the not being able to control where you sit.

Not sure there’s a particularly straightforward way of sorting that out, but if they could come up with something it might help massively.

take the example of the lads on here that were congregating in the Leazes last season and had created a mini singing area

they can’t congregate there any more

I can’t understand why it’s not possible to allow seat selection, loads of entertainment events have greater demand than supply but you can still choose a seat 

Edited by bobbydazzla

Away end looked full on the telly considering the shite with the trains

However loads kicking off on twitter about our support in the ground

Apparently that Silverstone was there and getting questioned about it

1 minute ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Anyone else getting a bit annoyed this season at the superduperfans crying every week that the wrong people are going to games, they're singing the wrong songs, the members are to blame for poor results etc.

Yep. Especially when not much has changed in reality. Apart from the performances and results…

7 minutes ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Anyone else getting a bit annoyed this season at the superduperfans crying every week that the wrong people are going to games, they're singing the wrong songs, the members are to blame for poor results etc.

It's been a while since I went to a game and as someone who isn't from Newcastle I've experienced quite a bit of the soopafan attitude (Ashley era), especially once they've heard my accent. Football fans are weird, entitled cunts in general tbf.

11 minutes ago, jack j said:

I'm starting to think it's down to the results like

Sheff utd wasn't the best mind

However loads who were at man u said it was one of the best..

My only two domestic away games this season so far. Both were fine but obviously the greater numbers and dare I say surprise of the performance from a 2nd string team over our long standing nemesis probably added to the atmosphere.

Ive got Chelsea and Luton remaining this season. Expecting a great atmosphere at Chelsea providing we don’t have a car crash start to the game. Luton I’m intrigued to find out. Not the biggest overall allocation but at least half going have over 160 points. Absolutely awful date for the game mind day after Black Friday and not the cheapest to get to with everyone vacating London etc that weekend for the holidays.

Edited by LFEE

Another thing to consider with today is with bowl type/shaped stadiums (such as new WHL, the Etihad etc), the atmosphere will always feel off to some due to how spaced out the away fans are from each other.

6 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

It's been a while since I went to a game and as someone who isn't from Newcastle I've experienced quite a bit of the soopafan attitude (Ashley era), especially once they've heard my accent. Football fans are weird, entitled cunts in general tbf.

Think it might be worse with us tbh. We have some absolute saddos who have no life outside of supporting Newcastle who appoint themselves as 'hardcore' fans. Most of their arguments this season are stupid anyway. They hate the members ballot for reasons I can't understand - the people getting tickets are basically the same as last season when it was first come first serve. The 'poor' atmosphere is blamed on 'tourists' when it was regularly appalling during the Ashley years (when the stadium was full of 'hardcore' fans who stood by the club when times were rough).

Few points on yesterday from my observation as i was there.

1. Yes it was crap, in all honestly spurs away is never the best, my pals who follow other clubs say the same, same allocation at other grounds will always be louder.

2. Our fans have caused the issue on away ticketing, everyone complained that they couldnt get tickets as people were reselling on. Well the lads buying other tickets got behind the team more than the people getting tickets now and the pricks who buy and don't turn up. 

3. The football fan seems to of changed, less lads getting tickets who would have a drink and get beind the team no matter what, mode fans who want a pic for social media.

4. I actually went to Villa park saturday with one of my customers in hosptality, the atmosphere was really poor, sang at kick went flat. Sang wnen scored then could here a pin drop for rest of game to late on. Same at Spurs yesterday. Football fans are changing it seems.

5 hours ago, NUFC91 said:

Few points on yesterday from my observation as i was there.

1. Yes it was crap, in all honestly spurs away is never the best, my pals who follow other clubs say the same, same allocation at other grounds will always be louder.

2. Our fans have caused the issue on away ticketing, everyone complained that they couldnt get tickets as people were reselling on. Well the lads buying other tickets got behind the team more than the people getting tickets now and the pricks who buy and don't turn up. 

3. The football fan seems to of changed, less lads getting tickets who would have a drink and get beind the team no matter what, mode fans who want a pic for social media.

4. I actually went to Villa park saturday with one of my customers in hosptality, the atmosphere was really poor, sang at kick went flat. Sang wnen scored then could here a pin drop for rest of game to late on. Same at Spurs yesterday. Football fans are changing it seems.

Society is changing. Gigs have changed for the worse over the last few years it’s getting to a point that I’m making next year probably my last. Anyone who know how much I love my music and seeing bands live will know how sad that is. 

12 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Tell ya whats ironic, people slagging off atmosphere pm twitter who stood im silence yesterday. Get singing ya self ffs

Get them called out

Hopefully hard-core jack was one of them

Seen a lot of people complaining about the lack of atmosphere in the away end yesterday. Seems to be a trend occuring whereby the big away days attract the spectator-type of ST holders who sit on their hands at games.

The derby is going to be full of these types, unfortunately, and the Mackems will no doubt be pouring scorn on the lack of noise from the away end. You can just see it coming.

Why ST holders get any kind of preference for away games is a mystery to me. In reality they should reset the loyalty point system to zero and make games available to all members equally.