Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Fuck’s sake man. 

“Got mesel’ a new high score on Bejewelled. What a cracking day out. Ah look at that, the blonde haired lad has scored, reet, need to concentrate, and get the exploding gem otherwise I’m fucked”

7 hours ago, gbandit said:

Fuck’s sake man. 

“Got mesel’ a new high score on Bejewelled. What a cracking day out. Ah look at that, the blonde haired lad has scored, reet, need to concentrate, and get the exploding gem otherwise I’m fucked”

That’s exactly what she was playing! 

14 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

OK as a few of you will know I regularly travel over the North Sea to watch PSV Eindhoven play. Was there yesterday and the one thing that always jumps out to me is how different the demographic of their fanbase is to ours. That's the 100% biggest problem at SJP and I honestly don't see a solution to it.

Sat outside a bar yesterday watching all the other supporters walking past us and it was a massive majority of large groups of lads in their 20s and 30s. Admittedly the overwhelming choice of clothing was Stone Island and at first glance "football hooligans" is probably the first thing that would enter your head (very rarely see any bother there mind although away fans aren't allowed to drink in the City centre so you never see any) but generally it's large groups of younger males who like a bit bounce about, daft carry on, and a sing song who make up a large part of their support.

Compare to an average home game here and it's predominantly men and women in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s  who make up a large amount of the fanbase. Typically these don't enjoy a bit bounce around (they don't even like standing at the match) or a sing song. They want to sit there, arms folded and to be entertained.

That's how it is here now. All seater ST culture and high ticket prices have driven us to where we are these days and the unfortunate reality us that there is no going back. The other 19 PL clubs all have the same problem however. It's an English problem, not one that's specifically ours.

A new stadium might help out for the first few seasons with the novelty factor but then it would sink into the same malaise that SJP finds itself in today I reckon.

Euthanasia for anyone 31 years or older trying to enter SJP, it’s the only way to get chants going!

The reality is the modern day football fan is very different to the same of years ago.

There are a number of reasons for that:

1. KO timings/Sky running the show

2. Ticket pricing

3. General cost of living and affording the ‘day’ as well as the ticket

4. Desperation to turn football into an Americanised sporting performance

5. Constant fucking with the rules, addition of VAR etc.

6. Players becoming ‘influencers’ rather than sporting professionals

It’ll only get worse from here sadly. A family of 4 buying merchandise, sitting in soft seats, producing content online offer a lot more to clubs than 20 year old Wayne and his 3 mates who get pissed in the pub beforehand.

8 hours ago, Big Jow said:

Euthanasia for anyone 31 years or older trying to enter SJP, it’s the only way to get chants going!

On a serious note though and speaking purely hypothetically here, if we ever did build a new stadium with say a capacity of 70k and this allowed the club to sell another 20k season tickets I'd be all for giving priority to younger supporters to get a bit energy inside the place. At 46 I know this would hamper my chances of getting one but it'd be for the greater good.

They won't but the club need need to be more ruthless, move fans and don't give them a choice 

It abolutely fucks me off how anal people are about their seat, its embrassing.

19 hours ago, Earp said:

Middle-aged woman on her own next to me at the front of the Gallowgate was playing games on her phone for most of the game.

Did you not ask her why shes bothering to attend?

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

On a serious note though and speaking purely hypothetically here, if we ever did build a new stadium with say a capacity of 70k and this allowed the club to sell another 20k season tickets I'd be all for giving priority to younger supporters to get a bit energy inside the place. At 46 I know this would hamper my chances of getting one but it'd be for the greater good.

I'm 71 gave up my season ticket (second time, Houghton sacking first time) after RAFA  leaving . I have not tried to renew my lungs just cant give the support I'd want to, the cold seeps into every bone in my body. Its not (for me) a pleasant experience anymore but I respect the choice of anyone of any age to go to the match. I'd have a box in heartbeat if I came into money  

Saw on Leicesters forum last night the same discussion about atmosphere. Literally every forum I've seen does Liverpool, Manchesters, Mackems, Everton, Leicester and with Boro there's no need and we all seen the clip of Villa the other week. 

It's not an SJP/Newcastle problem but a generational/culture one. 

Places have a run (Forest) but average out eventually.

It predated the extension cos I got sick of how it was and moaned about it in 98/99.

Though mitigating circumstances the atmosphere pre Keegan was bad too, so standing and hardcore fans aren't the deciding factor.

29 minutes ago, Rich said:

Smashing. Glad one of us had made it in!

Gonna tell them to remove safe standing and have a no shouting policy.

6 minutes ago, Heron said:

Gonna tell them to remove safe standing and have a no shouting policy.

And that you think the flags need to go cos they’re blocking people’s views of the players coming out.