Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

I'm in agreement with what Big River says on the previous page

You should go to the game to get behind the team and encourage them to do the best they can and to attempt to create an atmosphere that intimidates the opposition for the full 90 mins

Doesn't matter if that's via singing, clapping, cheering, pogo'ing, holding a shoe in the air or bellowing DODDDDDDDDDDGY KEEEEEEEEEPAAAAA at every opposition goal kick

Too many people are walking into SJP then pissing & moaning, stuffing their faces with bait, slurping shite beer when the game is being played, telling people to sit down, telling people to shut up and being negative, entitled wankers

Edited by bobbydazzla

Thought given how Flat we were on the pitch the support was excellent. Particulary at 2-0 we got well and truely got behind the lads.

Edited by NUFC91

• 3 weeks later...

Thought it was decent tonight. The Corner lead it.

One moment I did find odd though was there was a part during the Second Half where L7 corner near the away end started a pretty loud "Stand up if you love the Toon" which took off round most of the L7 Milburn Stand. Was expecting the Corner to join in and the rest of the ground would have got involved like I've seen plenty in the past, but it didn't happen. Was strange as it could clearly be heard.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Thought it was decent tonight. The Corner lead it.

One moment I did find odd though was there was a part during the Second Half where L7 corner near the away end started a pretty loud "Stand up if you love the Toon" which took off round most of the L7 Milburn Stand. Was expecting the Corner to join in and the rest of the ground would have got involved like I've seen plenty in the past, but it didn't happen. Was strange as it could clearly be heard.

I was in the bottom tier of the Gallowgate towards the corner and can’t remember hearing that.

Atmosphere always changes at 60mins and nerves set in. Have to use the Corner etc to push through the negativity, if that doesn't happen we're on the back foot.

54 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

L7 corner near the away end started a pretty loud "Stand up if you love the Toon" which took off round most of the L7 Milburn Stand.

Was probably the loudest the Leazes got during the match. Was my first match at the Leazes and we really need a safe standing section somewhere on the Leazes. Strawberry corner is great and that L7 corner really tries but feels like they are too far apart to get all the stadium joining in.

Also surprising how little of the Strawberry corner you can really hear on the Leazes. People (including me) were joining in on the ”Stand up…” and few ”Eddie Howe’s black and white armies” but those felt the only times the stadium was really loud. It’s never easy to try and get anything going alone (I’m certainly not able to do that or even willing to try) but so many around me joined at least briefly for those few louder songs.

Thought Everton fans were poor for the first 60 but woke up after the disallowed goal which simultaneously made us feel a bit nervous.

Edited by Pata

On 14/03/2024 at 22:58, Conjo said:

Let some fans bring instruments, like that cunt at Portsmouth. Do some gimmicky stuff like the Iceland fans. Let someone use a megaphone to get others going.

Nowt worse than megaphones and trumpets

8 hours ago, Pata said:

Was probably the loudest the Leazes got during the match. Was my first match at the Leazes and we really need a safe standing section somewhere on the Leazes. Strawberry corner is great and that L7 corner really tries but feels like they are too far apart to get all the stadium joining in.

Also surprising how little of the Strawberry corner you can really hear on the Leazes. People (including me) were joining in on the ”Stand up…” and few ”Eddie Howe’s black and white armies” but those felt the only times the stadium was really loud. It’s never easy to try and get anything going alone (I’m certainly not able to do that or even willing to try) but so many around me joined at least briefly for those few louder songs.

Thought Everton fans were poor for the first 60 but woke up after the disallowed goal which simultaneously made us feel a bit nervous.

Good assessment.

Safe standing in the level 7 Leazes corner would be great. Get shot of the family area.

Was in the Leazes corner and was pretty decent, more so in the second half. Like ON says, was pretty loud for the 'Stand Up' and some of Milburn you could see joining in but just didnt seem to take off for some reason. Was swiftly followed by a rendition of 'sing your hearts out for the lads' in the Strawberry corner I think which was good to hear. 

Also enjoyed, 'you fucking laughed when we went down, who the fuck is laughing now' , first time I've heard that, was decent. 

Good atmosphere overall, was expecting it to be a bit flat for some reason. 

19 hours ago, jack j said:

Who was the new team announcer yesterday? Seemed different to the last bloke who filled in for the "enjoy the game" cunt

Not sure but it sounded like Steve of Metro radios' "breakfast with Steve and Karen". I don't mind, go as far as to say I prefer the usual announcer.

19 hours ago, jack j said:

Who was the new team announcer yesterday? Seemed different to the last bloke who filled in for the "enjoy the game" cunt

2 minutes ago, Scoreboard82 said:

Not sure but it sounded like Steve of Metro radios' "breakfast with Steve and Karen". I don't mind, go as far as to say I prefer the usual announcer.

I thought that. Listen to Steve & Karen when I'm m driving any morning. 

Quite like their patter. 

There's always going to be a direct correlation to what you get on the pitch vs what you get from the stands. If it's backs against the wall like a lot of the Rafa games it would/can be hostile, the same way if you're taking the game to a superior team it can make it one of the best atmospheres in Europe. Obviously not mentioning the big games - ala PSG, Man Utd etc. Like most teams, we've often fell into the trap of the games we're 'expected to win' making atmosphere flat. Pointless trying to say it's only us as that just isn't the case. Also not a recent thing, it's been a thing since I started going late 90s/early 00s. Night games/late kick-offs help too (booze).

Now there is no denying the atmosphere is worse this season, home and away. On the pitch is a factor, but as many have touched on not having like-minded people in the same areas is really where the problem lies if you ask me. The ballot system (which doesn't impact me I will add) has meant groups of lads and lasses more likely to get behind the team can be stuck in Leazes L4/7. How the club combat this I don't know.

I'm potentially wrong here, but for what it's worth I think we lost a lot of the 'hardcore' when Benitez left. I'm not trying to glorify the atmosphere in them days either. But we all know people who are either shut out or stuck somewhere random in the ground.

No answers as to how to fix it really. But as I've said before, if we do decide to extend rather than move, it's important we don't fall into the trap Liverpool have done and offer 10% of additional seats to season tickets. An extension should be done with the majority of tickets going towards new season ticket holders. Obviously the club won't do this as less ££, but doing that alongside making a singing section next to the away fans would have a hugely positive impact on the atmosphere imo. 

It was definitely decent on Tuesday though. It's never going to be like PSG every game, and I do agree a lot of the revered Europe atmospheres are manufactured noise.

From what I gather, Arsenal are having similar issues this season. Their atmosphere was decent last year but many seem to have the same gripes as us this season regarding ballot system etc. I don't really think any owners give too much of a shit how loud the ground is, as long as the team is winning and seats are filled. The sad reality of modern football.

10 hours ago, Chicken Dancer said:

There's always going to be a direct correlation to what you get on the pitch vs what you get from the stands. If it's backs against the wall like a lot of the Rafa games it would/can be hostile, the same way if you're taking the game to a superior team it can make it one of the best atmospheres in Europe. Obviously not mentioning the big games - ala PSG, Man Utd etc. Like most teams, we've often fell into the trap of the games we're 'expected to win' making atmosphere flat. Pointless trying to say it's only us as that just isn't the case. Also not a recent thing, it's been a thing since I started going late 90s/early 00s. Night games/late kick-offs help too (booze).

Now there is no denying the atmosphere is worse this season, home and away. On the pitch is a factor, but as many have touched on not having like-minded people in the same areas is really where the problem lies if you ask me. The ballot system (which doesn't impact me I will add) has meant groups of lads and lasses more likely to get behind the team can be stuck in Leazes L4/7. How the club combat this I don't know.

I'm potentially wrong here, but for what it's worth I think we lost a lot of the 'hardcore' when Benitez left. I'm not trying to glorify the atmosphere in them days either. But we all know people who are either shut out or stuck somewhere random in the ground.

No answers as to how to fix it really. But as I've said before, if we do decide to extend rather than move, it's important we don't fall into the trap Liverpool have done and offer 10% of additional seats to season tickets. An extension should be done with the majority of tickets going towards new season ticket holders. Obviously the club won't do this as less ££, but doing that alongside making a singing section next to the away fans would have a hugely positive impact on the atmosphere imo. 

It was definitely decent on Tuesday though. It's never going to be like PSG every game, and I do agree a lot of the revered Europe atmospheres are manufactured noise.

From what I gather, Arsenal are having similar issues this season. Their atmosphere was decent last year but many seem to have the same gripes as us this season regarding ballot system etc. I don't really think any owners give too much of a shit how loud the ground is, as long as the team is winning and seats are filled. The sad reality of modern football.

Spot on, think regardless of the stay or move argument we need to hsve mass relocation of season ticket holders.

In fairness i think away support seems to have returned to more 'normal' since christmas. Our support at man city was immense and speaking to lads I work with are season ticket holders at Chelsea they thought us in the cup with 5k allocation was better than Boro Leeds and Villa (all cup 5ks)

Trouble at home is all stands are similar mix. Should be younger more game fans behind goals in Leazes and gallowgate.

The relentless slagging off of the team and manager on here whenever we don't win AND play well, because one or the other isnt enough for many, convinces me every game about what the problem is. There's been an increasing higher proportion of that sort of 'support' at games for decades now that is more a problem than any stadium contours or sitting/standing.  

Can you imagine a time when we'd be top of half of the top flight in ridiculous circmstances with injuries where there'd be this much moaning that its not enough?

Really good support right from the off yesterday I thought which got better and better as the match went on. Spurs fans were absolutely pathetic from start to finish.

Thought it was decent overall y’day

If you want to hear songs carrying round the stadium, but you aren’t fussed about joining in with them, then East Stand middle is the place to be

Great view too, as I’m usually in corners or behind the goals I forget how much more you see if you’re central

Lass sat next to me seemed like she’d never been to a match before, she took a few pics, clapped a few times, then never came back after half time. Felt like I’d been fobbed off early on a blind date 

Edited by bobbydazzla

Think biggest negative for me is the club could of added another safe standing area in Leazes and had the time to do so, like @HaydnNUFC said just highlights these fan interactions are a tick box