2023 FIFA Women's World Cup: Rubiales banned from all football-related activities for three years

46 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Total incompetence by VAR, I thought. It's only supposed to intervene if there's a clear and obvious error, and that was not.

I thought it was (clear and obvious error) as there was nothing to even suggest a penalty. Just shows the dilemmas now in football when you effectively have two referees. If I was sat in the VAR box I’d have to be telling the ref she’s got it massively wrong as there was no foul at all..

Feels like speed and fitness is the big difference between the teams. Nigeria are so much faster getting back than England are getting forward. They also have a couple of standout players, while James has been man-marked and it’s largely taken her out of the game. She looks leggy, as do many of the England team.

1 minute ago, leffe186 said:

Feels like speed and fitness is the big difference between the teams. Nigeria are so much faster getting back than England are getting forward. They also have a couple of standout players, while James has been man-marked and it’s largely taken her out of the game. She looks leggy, as do many of the England team.

Nigeria playing a ringer like? 

Out smarted and out strengthened at the moment by Nigeria. We've looked like the English B Team. Obviously difficult with 5 of our best players out but these guys are tight on us and we are second class. 

But goals win games so if Nigeria don't score, it's their fault.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I was just saying to Mrs BB that football terminology is heavily gendered - but ‘person-to-person marking’ is a bastard to say

Yeah I mean we say "man" a lot for stuff, not just football. "Man overboard" "man down" "last man standing". It's just our language now. I'm a woman and I say man down... I don't literally mean a man though. 

8 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I thought it was (clear and obvious error) as there was nothing to even suggest a penalty. Just shows the dilemmas now in football when you effectively have two referees. If I was sat in the VAR box I’d have to be telling the ref she’s got it massively wrong as there was no foul at all..

It looked to me that the attacker felt the arm in her back and decided to buy the foul by stopping short and creating the collision. That often results in a free kick outside the area, only rarely a penalty kick. 

But VAR is not there to substitute one subjective opinion for another. It's only there in respect of a clear and obvious error. That would only have applied if there had been no contact at all.