2023 FIFA Women's World Cup: Rubiales banned from all football-related activities for three years

Just now, TheHoob said:

Yeah, I get it if they explained the decision but they are still just saying what the decision is, from what I've heard? 

This is the first game I've watched so not certain but seems that way based on this. The Referee Show.

1 minute ago, iklgizmo said:

To be fair I think it helps in the ground more than those watching on TV!

There has been a pen in every single game so far!!

You’ll see it’s a pen when they take it.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I really like the explanation on mic, been calling for it for ages.

Obviously more difficult for refs who don’t speak good English, but generally I like it. 

Yeah cos what the game was screaming out for is another delay, next they’ll introduce a Q&A round with the ref before the penalties are taken.

Just now, Gawalls said:

You’ll see it’s a pen when they take it.

Exactly. :lol: watching the ref point to the spot wasn't clear enough, apparently. Turns out we needed even more focus on the officials, with accompanying silence from the crowd during the big moment.

I personally think the stadium announcement by the refs is a good thing, however like everything FIFA introduces it's a half measure. All the refs are doing is announcing the decision, but not why they've come up with it, so it's just an elongated version of hand signals, so ultimately pointless.

Edited by 54

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Exactly. :lol: watching the ref point to the spot wasn't clear enough, apparently. Turns out we needed even more focus on the officials, with accompanying silence from the crowd during the big moment.

🤣 maybe keepers were getting confused and kept thinking “why’s the ref pointing at me? I didn’t give the foul away “

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah it’s completely daft and puts the ref to the forefront, when they should be in the background.

1 minute ago, Caleb70 said:

Yeah it’s completely daft and puts the ref to the forefront, when they should be in the background.

Never thought of that - another ego boost for them, great.

I think the only time the refs explanation is helpful, was on the first pella call which was disallowed, as it explained that it wasn't given due to a foul in the builld up, which many in the stadium may not have seen.

But aye, when its given, just pointing to the spot is clear enough, no need to announce they're giving it too.

1 minute ago, TK-421 said:

I think the only time the refs explanation is helpful, was on the first pella call which was disallowed, as it explained that it wasn't given due to a foul in the builld up, which many in the stadium may not have seen.

But aye, when its given, just pointing to the spot is clear enough, no need to announce they're giving it too.

But the pen that was given wouldn't have been obvious in the stadium. No way you would spot in Real time that it was handball, so it give that's context

1 minute ago, iklgizmo said:

But the pen that was given wouldn't have been obvious in the stadium. No way you would spot in Real time that it was handball, so it give that's context

All she said was “after watching the replay I have come to the conclusion that it’s a penalty”

9 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Yeah cos what the game was screaming out for is another delay, next they’ll introduce a Q&A round with the ref before the penalties are taken.

It’s not really another the delay, the refs already jogging over to the screen and jogging back. 

Just now, Gawalls said:

All she said was “after watching the replay I have come to the conclusion that it’s a penalty”

No, crowd started to cheer but she said it was due to handball.

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

I personally think the stadium announcement by the refs is a good, however like everything FIFA introduced it's a half measure. All the refs are doing is announcing the decision, but not why they've come up with, so it's just an elongated version of hand signals, so ultimately pointless.

It's another flaw in the whole VAR charade imo. The officials' deliberations over contentious decisions is hidden from everyone - leading to calls for transparency and access to the discussions. But although being able to hear the refs might be a 'good' thing - in that context - do we really want that? The focus on them detracts from the game itself and emphasises the imposition of VAR. 

A happier medium would be to share the audio/explanation after the game (on TV/online), so the transparency and accountability is still there but it doesn't impose on the spectacle. 

Trialling it aren't they, maybe it adds delay but not going to be clear if it is good or not without trying it at a proper event. I am still conflicted but minded that var probably ought to be reduced in scope

Edited by Tiresias

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think I want to know during the game how the decision has been made. 

Anyway, not the thread for this really. 

What difference does it make whether you find out during the game or after? Not to mention we've had decades of football without any explanation whatsoever...