2023 FIFA Women's World Cup: Rubiales banned from all football-related activities for three years

19 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Urgh, terrible own goal by South Africa.

Double urgh. Classic old-school  Women’s football goal. Corner, just hit it as high as you can into the middle of the goal area so your tall centre-forward can just nod it past the little goalkeeper.

Haiti deserved a draw against England. They were far better in transition. I can’t see us doing much from that viewing though Haiti could be a bit of a surprise package.

The debate about pay should be pretty simple. You get paid in line with what you generate, a bit like a business eh.

I do think that more money should be put into girls grassroots football. I’d also support top ups from the men’s game to ensure that women players can become FT pros which hopefully boosts their game.

I just can’t get away with players demanding equal pay. 

9 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Haiti deserved a draw against England.

One of my old Pet Hates that.

Maybe, maybe not. Because of balance of play? Clearly not. Because of xG? Clearly not. Because of goals scored? No. Because of sportsmanship? With all that diving and feigning injury? No.

Because of socioeconomic disparity? Yes. Because of population? Yes. Because they should have scored? Maybe, although England should have scored too, as shown by xG. Because they arguably had the best player on the pitch?

Because you think it would have been nice if they did? Sure.

Which was the reason you thought they deserved it?

Portuguese RB/RW doesn’t know how to do a proper throw-in. Can’t believe she hasn’t been pulled up yet. Ref’s been very good otherwise. Hasn’t been fooled by players backing in and just falling over.

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Haiti deserved a draw against England. They were far better in transition. I can’t see us doing much from that viewing though Haiti could be a bit of a surprise package.

The debate about pay should be pretty simple. You get paid in line with what you generate, a bit like a business eh.

I do think that more money should be put into girls grassroots football. I’d also support top ups from the men’s game to ensure that women players can become FT pros which hopefully boosts their game.

I just can’t get away with players demanding equal pay. 

Literally 1 team has 'demanded' equal pay, amd its the USA women who just wanted the same as the men get.

Given they have won the last 2 World cups, are the favorites to win  this one, and have dominated women's football for years, they had a pretty good argument!

Assuming all players think they should get equal wages is just lazy and false

I'm gonna be briefly sexist, if this is a safe space for that.

I cannot imagine how terrible the lady refs must be. Not because they're women, mind you. Just because they get so many fewer opportunities to improve compared to the men, and the men are dooooooogshit. The lady refs must be absolutely tragic.

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm gonna be briefly sexist, if this is a safe space for that.

I cannot imagine how terrible the lady refs must be. Not because they're women, mind you. Just because they get so many fewer opportunities to improve compared to the men, and the men are dooooooogshit. The lady refs must be absolutely tragic.

That’s not sexist. It’s an interesting question. The other questions would be - does experience necessarily make a referee better beyond a certain point? And is the issue not more likely to be a smaller pool of refs to choose from?

This isn't great, Jamaica seem like they haven't a clue, they knock it to the forward, then expect the forward to basically go on a Messi/Mbappe run and do it all, they sit 30 yards behind watching rather than supporting the forward.

Neither side take much time, everything is rushed, it's like nerves are on display. 

Edited by mighty__mag

Don't think it's sexist to say the referees aren't very good. But it's down to training and quality of standards which unfortunately, is not standardized across women's football at the moment. 

Edited by Lish007

If you thought the Argentina men were cheats then you want to see their women.  They are a disgrace.  Rolling around on the floor if a blast of fresh air hits them.

3 minutes ago, maybe_next_year said:

Germans looking good already. Just scored from a whipped in corner, good movement in the box, to make it 2-0. 

I reckon they're the only ones who can threaten the USA. They've got quite a lot of squad depth too!!

Rebecca Welch (born in Washington, not sure if she still lives in the area - my brother-in-law is friends with her from former work a couple of years ago in Newcastle) refereed the Columbia - S.Korea game just now.

Edited by Teslact