Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s not anti club.  I’m just calling it as I would for another club.  If Man U or Everton had to sell their best youngster, for a fee less than another club was offering, no buyback, no sell-on, in the position they most need - just to contribute towards a PSR shortfall we would all laugh and say it’s an example of poor management. 

I wouldn't necessarily see it as bad management so much as a symptom of being in a very hard, artificially complex situation. The best plumbers still get other people's shit under their fingernails.

57 minutes ago, 80 said:

If true, we have to hope like hell Howe had good judgement on this one, mind - considering his injury history. £7.5m+ a year on another Wilson for half a decade would be painful.

If that source is correct we’re paying Targett and Kelly a combined 250k/week :yikes:

4 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

If that source is correct we’re paying Targett and Kelly a combined 250k/week :yikes:

So let us pray they are wrong...

2 hours ago, tarie4 said:

I hope he doesn't fail. I wish him the best of luck in his career. I really want him to reach his full potential. I would never wish for a player to fail.

He has left, and we cannot change that. Let us accept it and move forward. Miniteh and the board that sold him have done so, and now it is time for us, the supporters, to do the same.

Well that all sounds very worthy, but I'd still rather see him fail. Would make me feel a lot better about trousering the £30m.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s not anti club.  I’m just calling it as I would for another club.  If Man U or Everton had to sell their best youngster, for a fee less than another club was offering, no buyback, no sell-on, in the position they most need - just to contribute towards a PSR shortfall we would all laugh and say it’s an example of poor management. 

Its not bad management. Its circumstance. We were probably a bad injury crisis and/or a hungover Manchester City team away from not having to sell 2 players to comply. But these are the decisions you make to try and change the future, there's not only 1 way. Follow it or its wrong. It's not a computer game. We invested to try and avoid relegation, that was successful. We invested to acheive Europe, that was successful. We invested to try and go as far as we could in 4 competitions. We struggled there, because of course. But if Tonali hadnt been suspended (please no one bang on about how this was a mistake not knowing), or if Isak hadnt been injured for so long, or if the ref hadnt given PSG a penalty that wasnt, we may well not be where we are now. All these things contribute. You speculate to accumulate, to grow and prosper. Things went against us, so we were forced to carry out the back up plan, sell players. Including a young, unproven player for a very good fee, far too good to turn down given what he'd acheived up to that point. It was, in fact, all very sensibly planned. And if you think we were frantically trying to work out what to do in the final days of the deadline I think youve fallen for media hyperbole. And weirdly all too eagre to discredit, despite it all being a tiny part of a much bigger story. 

And stop going on about the buy back and sell on, its beyond unrealistic. We wouldnt have got the fee for him we did with either of those, he didnt have the histry to back it up. And maybe we didnt want to buy him back, we're probably looking at better players. Just because you've read some stats on twitter and seen some highlights reels on youtube, doesnt mean the club should want to either retain him over pocketing the cash which has meant we could fill other positions with better, more proven players, or buy him back in the future. We dont want to, evidently. Which makes perfect sense. 

So I'll say it again, anti club. Because you're choosing to ignore a multitude of other facts and factors just to try and form a narrartive against them on some narrow minded conjecture. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Amuses me the ones that can’t bare talking about minteh when he scores  now high horsing now that Murphy scored more

On 30/07/2024 at 12:20, tarie4 said:

We all want the best for Newcastle while we may have differing opinions on the matter, let us respectfully agree to disagree. 33 million was fantastic business for an untested player.

And if it wasn't for PSR, do you think we would've accepted that bid? Because if it's fantastic business, surely we would, right?

28 minutes ago, gdm said:

Amuses me the ones that can’t bare talking about minteh when he scores  now high horsing now that Murphy scored more

It's not actually that though is it?

It's more Minteh has been made out to the next messiah and or Salah even though he hasn't kicked a ball for us, or in the Premier Leage. 

His performances and two goals in preseason apparently adds credence to the above.

You've then got Murphy who has kicked a ball in the Premier League, done an albeit not spectacular but solid job for us, yet to some he's absolute dog dirt and his performances and goals in preseason aren't an indication of how he'll play in the Premier League.

1 minute ago, TBG said:

It's more Minteh has been made out to the next messiah and or Salah even though he hasn't kicked a ball for us, or in the Premier Leage. 

His performances and two goals in preseason apparently adds credence to the above.

You've then got Murphy who has kicked a ball in the Premier League, done an albeit not spectacular but solid job for us, yet to some he's absolute dog dirt and his performances and goals in preseason aren't an indication of how he'll play in the Premier League.

It is tho. Comparing them is irrelevant. You can be pleased Murphy is showing good signs in pre season and gutted minteh has been sold 

8 minutes ago, TBG said:

Screenshot_20240711_183907_Instagram.thu

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

To be fair, the situation was compared to Chelsea getting rid of Salah.

Comparing a club potentially coming to regret letting a youngster go to a club having let a player go and probably regretting it is not the same as comparing two players and concluding they are of similar quality though is it?

Just now, Unbelievable said:

Comparing a club potentially coming to regret letting a youngster go to a club having let a player go and probably regretting it is not the same as comparing two players and concluding they are of similar quality though is it?

Not necessarily, no. But not necessarily not either. 

Do we think Chelsea actually do regret Salah leaving btw? Was he turning into the same player there? Perhaps the move made the man.

11 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Is this whole argument about whether or not we MAY regret letting him go? Can tell we're out of season :lol:

That one argument was. Why are you in here re-hashing old arguments while at the same time criticising people for posting in here? :dontknow:

1 hour ago, Erikse said:

And if it wasn't for PSR, do you think we would've accepted that bid? Because if it's fantastic business, surely we would, 

Put it this way, Carroll was sold for 35 million. I wouldn't have accepted that bid for Carroll, but the club did. I was sad, but I still said it was fantastic business.

I must admit that if there was no PSR I would not have personally accepted a bid of 33 million for Miniteh, however, if the club chose to accept such an offer, I would still acknowledge it as a remarkable piece of business. 33 million for Miniteh in my opinion is fantastic business. 

2 hours ago, TBG said:

The real yardstick of this is which player other clubs are after. We had a three way tug of war over Minteh with one club apparently offering £40m. There's probably a reason why that's never been the case for Murphy, and it's not all down to age.

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

The real yardstick of this is which player other clubs are after. We had a three way tug of war over Minteh with one club apparently offering £40m. There's probably a reason why that's never been the case for Murphy, and it's not all down to age.

There was no tug of war for Isak, Gordon or Bruno.

Applying your logic Minteh is better than them. 

3 minutes ago, TBG said:

There was no tug of war for Isak, Gordon or Bruno.

Applying your logic Minteh is better than them. 

Are you seriously comparing Murphy to those players? Point is we could sell all of them for big money if they were for sale, but they aren't. That's the only reason there's no tug of war for them.

21 minutes ago, TRon said:

He's gone, we have kept our purples and only time will tell if it was a mistake or an absolute brilliant fee we received.

One thing I will say though, as I keep hearing that he must be good as a couple of clubs were after him, if that's the case, why is it that his manager from last year was not interested in signing him? Money certainly wouldn't have been a problem.