Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

Are you seriously comparing Murphy to those players? Point is we could sell all of them for big money if they were for sale, but they aren't. That's the only reason there's no tug of war for them.

I can't see I made any comparison, so no.

My point is, you're using the logic that clubs being in for Minteh, must mean he's a good player.

So applying the same logic Jeff Hendrick must be a good player if 2 or 3 teams come forward to sign him. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

TBG is timeless.

It continues to rumble on without my involvement my good sir, and it will do so for a very long time.

However, I find it intriguing that the individuals who assert their knowledge of PSR and the club's financial situation are the same ones who complain about the sale of Minteh.

Surely, if you are well-informed about the club's finances, you would not persistently complain about the sale of Minteh. It is understandable to express disappointment initially, but after that, becausenof your "indepth" understanding of the rules it is important to accept the situation and move on.

The club is obviously hurt by losing Miniteh, and so are many but we've accepted that it was necessary and moved on. They even folded in the Ashworth saga, if the rumors are true. But hey, they got Mitchellin a few days later. They've moved on, man.

This is the aspect that I find most perplexing, Some people just can't let go and keep whining about stuff we can't do anything about now.

2 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

That one argument was. Why are you in here re-hashing old arguments while at the same time criticising people for posting in here? :dontknow:

I’m not am I? When did I criticise people for posting? Just the content I find a bit boring.

2 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

It continues to rumble on without my involvement my good sir, and it will do so for a very long time.

However, I find it intriguing that the individuals who assert their knowledge of PSR and the club's financial situation are the same ones who complain about the sale of Minteh.

Surely, if you are well-informed about the club's finances, you would not persistently complain about the sale of Minteh. It is understandable to express disappointment initially, but after that, becausenof your "indepth" understanding of the rules it is important to accept the situation and move on.

The club is obviously hurt by losing Miniteh, and so are many but we've accepted that it was necessary and moved on. They even folded in the Ashworth saga, if the rumors are true. But hey, they got Mitchellin a few days later. They've moved on, man.

This is the aspect that I find most perplexing, Some people just can't let go and keep whining about stuff we can't do anything about now.

My initial comment was tongue in cheek, granted to say the argument has been done to death would be an understatement.

I think it's possible to roughly determine our PSR position, granted it's impossible to do do accurately without full access to our up to date accounts. Similarly, we'll most likely never fully know what occurred leading up to the PSR deadline and why, we can only hypothesise. Nothing wrong with that, unfortunately we've heard some of these theories multiple times, across multiple threads.

34 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

He's gone, we have kept our purples and only time will tell if it was a mistake or an absolute brilliant fee we received.

One thing I will say though, as I keep hearing that he must be good as a couple of clubs were after him, if that's the case, why is it that his manager from last year was not interested in signing him? Money certainly wouldn't have been a problem. 

It's a fair question. Who do Liverpool have on the RW? Would he have been able to offer Minteh a route to first team football?

Just now, TRon said:

It's a fair question. Who do Liverpool have on the RW? Would he have been able to offer Minteh a route to first team football?

Salah currently but he's not going to be there much longer. 

Just now, et tu brute said:

Salah currently but he's not going to be there much longer. 

So who is next in the pecking order if Salah is presumably going to leave?

Just now, The Prophet said:

My initial comment was tongue in cheek, granted to say the argument has been done to death would be an understatement.

I think it's possible to roughly determine our PSR position, granted it's impossible to do do accurately without full access to our up to date accounts. Similarly, we'll most likely never fully know what occurred leading up to the PSR deadline and why, we can only hypothesise. Nothing wrong with that, unfortunately we've heard some of these theories multiple times, across multiple threads.

Hey, wait until he beats three Man City defenders and scores a goal in the top corner.

I'm sure most people have a general idea of what PSR and the club's accounts are with this in mind, I then find it interesting that people can keep going over the same theories day after day. As we are all aware, this outcome was inevitable. That is the crux of my argument. In any case, I will now discreetly withdraw from the conversation.

And if someone doesn't bid proper money for Minteh before the deadline.. What then? It's easy to sit here now and say that it ended well because we got a £33m bid last minute, it seems to have been margins away from a disaster like selling Gordon for a suboptimal fee or take the deduction. If so, that doesn't seem like great management.

Just now, TRon said:

So who is next in the pecking order if Salah is presumably going to leave?

It's not a big name player and if he's that good then surely the Liverpool manager would be looking at Minteh to be that player coming through. You have to remember by all reports, the Feyenoord fans were still not 100% convinced by him either. We should just wait and see before people jump up and down. I personally think it was a great price we got for him

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

And if someone doesn't bid proper money for Minteh before the deadline.. What then? It's easy to sit here now and say that it ended well because we got a £33m bid last minute, it seems to have been margins away from a disaster like selling Gordon for a suboptimal fee or take the deduction. If so, that doesn't seem like great management.

If my uncle had tits he'd be my auntie.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If my uncle had tits he'd be my auntie.

Nice deflection. A necessary one when you have no good argument against the point, I understand.

Edited by Erikse

10 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I said a few days ago it maybe part of the reason Staveley left (we won't find out though). I'm quite sure it won't be repeated again, although pressure is on, as I'm pretty certain another season like the one just gone, will see possibly all of our top players looking to move

Edited by et tu brute

Just now, Erikse said:

Nice deflection.

It's not really though is it? 

Minteh was a sellable asset who we generated a decent amount of interest in, with multiple clubs willing to invest £30 million plus in him.

How we ended up in that position is another matter, but worrying about what would happen if we didn't sell him seems completely fruitless, unless you're into worrying.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's not really though is it? 

Minteh was a sellable asset who we generated a decent amount of interest in, with multiple clubs willing to invest £30 million plus in him.

How we ended up in that position is another matter, but worrying about what would happen if we didn't sell him seems completely fruitless, unless you're into worrying.

I'm sure the club thinks this way, and will be like "ah, jobs done. Nothing to learn here, we did well."

I'm sure the club thinks this way, and will be like "ah, jobs done. Nothing to learn here, we did well."

Aye, that's exactly what I said. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Aye, that's exactly what I said. 

Look. If we get smashed by Scunthorpe in the cup and happen to scam them with a 1-0 win. We will not be all happy and impressed. Why? Because evaluating a performance purely based on the result is a terrible way of doing it. This is basic stuff.

17 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

It's not a big name player and if he's that good then surely the Liverpool manager would be looking at Minteh to be that player coming through. You have to remember by all reports, the Feyenoord fans were still not 100% convinced by him either. We should just wait and see before people jump up and down. I personally think it was a great price we got for him

You might well be right, we'll only really know in a year's time if that was a great price for him. I can accept many feel that way, personally I already said just the way he scored his goals had me quite excited about his prospects here, and I said it before there was any talk of selling him. IMO we were forced to sell him for PSR reasons only, not because it was a great price, but these are only opinions at the end of the day. No one's going to jail for having them. At least I hope not.

Look. If we get smashed by Scunthorpe in the cup and happen to scam them with a 1-0 win. We will not be all happy and impressed. Why? Because evaluating a performance purely based on the result is a terrible way of doing it. This is basic stuff.

That's not what I'm doing though.

I'm sure the club will be evaluating why we left satisfying PSR requirements until so late in the day and whether any action is required to prevent it from happening again.

Once we were in that position though, Minteh was always going to be sold. Whether that was to Everton, Lyon, Brighton or someone else. It was the best of a bad bunch of options.

17 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

That's not what I'm doing though.

I'm sure the club will be evaluating why we left satisfying PSR requirements until so late in the day and whether any action is required to prevent it from happening again.

Once we were in that position though, Minteh was always going to be sold. Whether that was to Everton, Lyon, Brighton or someone else. It was the best of a bad bunch of options.

I think you need to read my initial post again then. You're talking about something different here. I was saying that we must have done something wrong to put ourselves in a position where we are dependant on a proper bid for Minteh to save ourselves from a disaster, if that was the case. Judging by your replies, it very much seemed like you disagreed with that, by basically saying that pointing our the risk was just "ifs and buts". And that's being too results oriented imo.

Edited by Erikse

12 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I think you need to read my initial post again then. You're talking about something different here. I was saying that we must have done something wrong to put ourselves in a position where we are dependant on a proper bid for Minteh to save ourselves from a disaster, if that was the case. Judging by your replies, it very much seemed like you disagreed with that, by saying it was just "ifs and buts". And that is being too results oriented imo.

My original point was that we would have always got good money for flogging Minteh going into the last week of the window. Worrying about us not selling him seems pretty fruitless when it was always on the cards.

Who knows what happened leading into that sale and why it was required though. I'm sure the club will be all over it.

19 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

My original point was that we would have always got good money for flogging Minteh going into the last week of the window. Worrying about us not selling him seems pretty fruitless when it was always on the cards.

Who knows what happened leading into that sale and why it was required though. I'm sure the club will be all over it.

It did seem like Gordon got offered to other clubs pretty late though. As if we were really struggling. Who know if that was true, or how necessary it really was.

(I'm not refering to that BS report from the transfer thread that I saw just now)

Edited by Erikse

9 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Jesus christ we need a transfer. :lol: 

It is starting to get slightly annoying that this thread is always at the top of football section like :lol: