Yankuba Minteh

12 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Chelsea could have had Salah & De Bruyne through their entire careers and gone on to become an even greater club than they are (trophy wise). Arguably the two of the best players in the PL the last 10 years. Look at the state they are in now.

If Liverpool are prepared to pay that kind of money for a 19 year old Minteh, that tells me they see him as a potential replacement for Salah. Would be ridiculous to sell

Yes we may have to sell some talents to comply with FFP, but hope the club is wiser than selling the type of talent that could potentially be a generational one who has shown nothing but progress and playing regularl top league football since he moved to Europe 2 years ago.

That's the most extreme potenital outcome and an unreasonbly sure prediction considering all the other possibilities.

Weird one this… if we sell Minteh and keep Almiron then bad business.

If we sell Minteh and Almiron and get a world class right winger in then great business.

FWIW my match-going Feyenoord supporting mate thinks 40m is a ridiculously high fee for what he calls a “headless chicken”. I’d normally be loath to sell our potential future stars to rival clubs, but considering FFP is sadly a reality we have to deal with and there being no guarantee Minteh will become a world beater I think letting him go is the safer option if it allows us to invest a multitude of that through the profit it generates.

On another note, I hope the club continue to keep their eye out for young promising players like this. We need to get good players before their fee becomes too high for us, and we need the transfer income through developing players.

Whatever we decide to do if a bid actually comes in, we can’t really lose if a young player we brought in for relative peanuts is worth a multitude of what we paid after one year out on loan.

44 minutes ago, Beth said:

The problem is he plays in the postion that is most affected by age, wingers rely on pace and stamina and that's the first thing to drop off. That's why the likes of Giggs and Ronaldo became more central as they got older

He's still got bags of stamina man, his energy is his greatest asset in a set up like ours . Not all players succumb to age stereotypes, look at Walker still being rapid as fuck in his mid 30s 

13 minutes ago, Jonas said:

That's the most extreme potenital outcome and an unreasonbly sure prediction considering all the other possibilities.

It's not a prediction. Not sure how many more "potential" clarifications I could possibly put in to make that clear like :lol:

23 minutes ago, 54 said:

I get that Miggys out put wasn't great last season, but I feel he being disrespected and being spoken unnecessarily harshly here :lol:

It hasn't been great for his entire time at the club barring a purple patch in October 2022 which has been proven to be exactly that. And 6 assists in 5 and a half years, man.

He's going to turn 31 next season and isn't good enough. Runs his bollocks off every week but has extremely little technical quality. That's nowhere near enough for a club that wants to be consistently in Europe.

4 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

FWIW my match-going Feyenoord supporting mate thinks 40m is a ridiculously high fee for what he calls a “headless chicken”.

Seems like your mate is living on the stereotype he got plastered with when he first arrived at Feyenoord, rather than actually looking at what he accomplished later on in the season.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

It hasn't been great for his entire time at the club barring a purple patch in October 2022 which has been proven to be exactly that. And 6 assists in 5 and a half years, man.

He's going to turn 31 next season and isn't good enough. Runs his bollocks off every week but has extremely little technical quality. That's nowhere near enough for a club that wants to be consistently in Europe.

Maybe so, but he still offers an absolute huge amount to the way we play, and our press, and think he is hugely disrespected by the fan base, he's the perfect player to come on to keep the energy up around the 60th minute imo.

Also that purple patch was like 3/4 months of a season, not just a month, and without it we wouldn't have qualified for the Champions League.

Slot said: “He certainly doesn’t lack self-confidence. His willingness to give everything is enormous. When we see his statistics, it is really impressive. Minteh ran more sprint meters against Ajax in an hour than many players in the two games. He is incredibly fast."

Feyenoord had reportedly been open to a second loan deal for the 19-year-old before Slot was linked to the Liverpool job. But he conceded the winger would likely be playing at a higher level next season.

He told Rondo in March: "If you are that fast, it is a huge weapon. One action and he is gone, then you will not catch up with him again.

"I think that his choices are already improving in the final phase. The bad thing for us is that if his choices become really good, he will probably no longer play for us.”

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Holloway said:

He's still got bags of stamina man, his energy is his greatest asset in a set up like ours . Not all players succumb to age stereotypes, look at Walker still being rapid as fuck in his mid 30s 

I'm 60 and back playing 5 a side for an hour, have I mentioned it?

Just had to stop tackling myself and now going to work on how to stop myself without collapsing after I've generated into a plausible "run"

SELL HIM          ( Miggy not Minteh, btw )

Edited by Groundhog63

1 minute ago, PauloGeordio said:

Slot said: “He certainly doesn’t lack self-confidence. His willingness to give everything is enormous. When we see his statistics, it is really impressive. Minteh ran more sprint meters against Ajax in an hour than many players in the two games. He is incredibly fast."

Feyenoord had reportedly been open to a second loan deal for the 19-year-old before Slot was linked to the Liverpool job. But he conceded the winger would likely be playing at a higher level next season.

He told Rondo in March: "If you are that fast, it is a huge weapon. One action and he is gone, then you will not catch up with him again.

"I think that his choices are already improving in the final phase. The bad thing for us is that if his choices become really good, he will probably no longer play for us.”

Wild.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Maybe so, but he still offers an absolute huge amount to the way we play, and our press, and think he is hugely disrespected by the fan base, he's the perfect player to come on to keep the energy up around the 60th minute imo.

Also that purple patch was like 3/4 months of a season, not just a month, and without it we wouldn't have qualified for the Champions League.

If you don't think we can sign someone younger, who offers what he offers off the ball but has actual technical quality then I'm not sure what to say.

Minteh should be that player coming on at 60 minutes. He's in higher percentiles than Almiron is everything other than interceptions and is 11 years younger.

That patch is soon to be 2 seasons ago. You can't hold onto an attacker who doesn't contribute much in terms of G&A because they did uncharacteristically contribute in one spell two seasons ago.

8 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Seems like your mate is living on the stereotype he got plastered with when he first arrived at Feyenoord, rather than actually looking at what he accomplished later on in the season.

You reckon? He’s seen every minute the lad’s been on the pitch this season, most of them live in the stadium, so I suggest his opinion at least has some merit.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d be amazed if we let him go without Howe seeing him first. If he’s that highly rated, then we may not even need to buy a RW.

Sorry but not this again [emoji38]. I think Howe has a fairly good opinion on him already.

I think I've realised my biggest pet hate in football fandom is how easily people discard and talk about players like they're a toy to be thrown away. Personally I become attached to players, especially players like Miggy who has contributed a huge amount over the last few years, especially in the season we got Champions League football, and has always been a solid professional and given his all every time he's put on the shirt, which is the only think I really ask for from any player tbh.

Realistically he needs to move on, but the fact people go "HES FUCKING SHIT, SELL HIM" is wild to me. It's probably just a me thing, but still :lol:

5 minutes ago, 54 said:

I think I've realised my biggest pet hate in football fandom is how easily people discard and talk about players like they're a toy to be thrown away. Personally I become attached to players, especially players like Miggy who has contributed a huge amount over the last few years, especially in the season we got Champions League football, and has always been a solid professional and given his all every time he's put on the shirt, which is the only think I really ask for from any player tbh.

Realistically he needs to move on, but the fact people go "HES FUCKING SHIT, SELL HIM" is wild to me. It's probably just a me thing, but still :lol:

I agree. Same disrespect shown to (insert anyone) at various times. 

11 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I'm 60 and back playing 5 a side for an hour, have I mentioned it?

Just had to stop tackling myself and now going to work on how to stop myself without collapsing after I've generated into a plausible "run"

SELL HIM          ( Miggy not Minteh, btw )

Fair play grandad 😉

I bet you were aching in places you wouldn't believe 2:days after the big comeback 

7 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Sorry but not this again [emoji38]. I think Howe has a fairly good opinion on him already.

Not read the rest of the thread, but just my opinion. We also won’t get close to 40 million for him, not sure where they plucked that number from.

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d be amazed if we let him go without Howe seeing him first. If he’s that highly rated, then we may not even need to buy a RW.

Think he's quite likely at a point where his ideal role for a good PL team is as second choice RW.

Will still get plenty of starts but will primarily be used as an impact sub, his pace in the last half hour of games will be devastating.

Maybe he's ready to be a regular starter but by all accounts he's still raw, a few weeks ago everyone seemed to think another year on loan would be the right thing for him.

Ideally I'd love to see us get rid of Miggy and bring in a top RW with Minteh the backup.

It's just a case of whether the money we could get for him couple be put to better use elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, 54 said:

I agree, with some people it is a form of 'madness' - I wonder if they know that?

By definition, obviously not !!

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not read the rest of the thread, but just my opinion. We also won’t get close to 40 million for him, not sure where they plucked that number from.

I was thinking about not bying a new RW debate [emoji38]. We must. I think Edwards mentioned Pool. Downie said clubs on the continent. Clubs from Germany and Italy wont spend 40m on him. Not a chance.

3 minutes ago, Shak said:

Think he's quite likely at a point where his ideal role for a good PL team is as second choice RW.

Will still get plenty of starts but will primarily be used as an impact sub, his pace in the last half hour of games will be devastating.

Maybe he's ready to be a regular starter but by all accounts he's still raw, a few weeks ago everyone seemed to think another year on loan would be the right thing for him.

Ideally I'd love to see us get rid of Miggy and bring in a top RW with Minteh the backup.

It's just a case of whether the money we could get for him couple be put to better use elsewhere.

To be fair, many, myself included, thought calls for another year on loan were ridiculous