Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

13 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

What the fuck are you talking about?! I’m not stigmatising anything. Read my original post - I have sympathy for people with addiction. We have experienced it in my family and I have had friends who have battled problems. But I don’t agree with the labelling of it. There’s no criticism of people with addiction at all. It’s literally just the labelling of it I don’t agree with. 

you did imply lack of willpower, dude.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

11 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

you did imply lack of willpower, dude.

How do most people get rid of addictions? Through willpower and lifestyle changes, including therapy. Can you do that with cancer, parkinsons, MD etc? That’s why I hate the labelling!

Your reading of my original post was me saying ‘they should just stop doing it and use some willpower’. Read it again, that’s not what I said. Lifestyle changes includes moving away from temptation, changing routines, losing friends etc. That’s arguably more important, but willpower is a huge part of overcoming addiction. 

57 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

When you’ve dealt with addiction in your family and seen the kind of personalities that will hide behind ‘disease’ you’d probably have a different opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess. I’m not being cuntish mate, I’ve just seen it first hand and I don’t agree that it’s a disease

Surely the fact you know first-hand it runs in families should tell you it's an illness rather than a "character trait" or a "weakness"? 

1 minute ago, Interpolic said:

Surely the fact you know first-hand it runs in families should tell you it's an illness rather than a "character trait" or a "weakness"? 

I believe it’s a disorder and addictive personality is a character trait. I don’t believe it’s an Illness. How do you think a death bed cancer patient would feel about what they are going through being aligned with gambling or drug addiction? 
Whether you like it or not, there is an element of choice in what addicts do, no matter how small it is. The same doesn’t apply to any other ‘illness’ you can contract. 

44 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Check out gambling disorder. This is a label for addiction that is starting to grow in popularity and I think it’s more appropriate. 
Fuck me, anyone would think I said all addicts should be shot. 
I’m happy to take any criticism on the chin for what seems to be an unpopular and controversial opinion but you guys need to calm down a bit. I’m not the only person on the planet who doesn’t agree that addictions are an illness/disease. 

But once again, most medical associations do qualify them as illnesses. So it’s you and some others, mostly unqualified I might point out, against them.

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

I believe it’s a disorder and addictive personality is a character trait. I don’t believe it’s an Illness. How do you think a death bed cancer patient would feel about what they are going through being aligned with gambling or drug addiction? 
Whether you like it or not, there is an element of choice in what addicts do, no matter how small it is. The same doesn’t apply to any other ‘illness’ you can contract. 

This is just such an antiquated way of looking at it, especially with our understanding of how chemicals affect brain function 

1 minute ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

But once again, most medical associations do qualify them as illnesses. So it’s you and some others, mostly unqualified I might point out, against them.

I’m alright with that. Medical associations also feel the best course of action for people with anxiety is to dish out antidepressants like they’re sweets. I don’t agree with that either. I also disagree with a lot of their views on Covid treatment. 

3 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I’m alright with that. Medical associations also feel the best course of action for people with anxiety is to dish out antidepressants like they’re sweets. I don’t agree with that either. I also disagree with a lot of their views on Covid treatment. 

Thanks for providing your expert analysis 

4 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

This is just such an antiquated way of looking at it, especially with our understanding of how chemicals affect brain function 

I completely understand how chemicals affect brain function. Ok, let’s use your argument - depression, anxiety, bipolar - all mental health illnesses where the sufferer has no element of choice, all centre around brain chemical delivery and disfunction. Addiction is the only so called ‘illness’ where there is an element of choice so I think it’s insulting to people with other contracted or inherited diseases when that comparison is made.

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

Are there drugs for addiction? 

Is this a serious question? There's medication to get off illegal drugs, medication to get off cigarettes, medication to get off alcohol. Surely even in whatever buddle you live in, you know this? 

6 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I completely understand how chemicals affect brain function. Ok, let’s use your argument - depression, anxiety, bipolar - all mental health illnesses where the sufferer has no element of choice, all centre around brain chemical delivery and disfunction. Addiction is the only so called ‘illness’ where there is an element of choice so I think it’s insulting to people with other contracted or inherited diseases when that comparison is made.

This element of choice often has genetic predispositions as well. Do you think being gay is a choice too? 

Once again, you have a bit of an antiquated view on this.

And anybody who says that they completely understand how chemicals affect brain function is pretty much full of shit, as most scientists say.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

Don't think there's a great deal wrong with what Holmsey's saying like. He's qualified exactly what he means quite well without it devaluing the seriousness of addiction. Seems more like a semantics/classification thing more than anything 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Don't think there's a great deal wrong with what Holmsey's saying like. He's qualified exactly what he means quite well without it devaluing the seriousness of addiction. Seems more like a semantics/classification thing more than anything 

which would not be so bad if he didn't keep on bringing up choice and then adding how it's an insult to cancer patients.

2 hours ago, Holmesy said:

I just don’t agree it’s an Illness. I don’t agree that any addiction is. You have no choice if you get cancer and you absolutely cannot get rid of it through willpower and lifestyle changes. Same with pretty much every other genuine illness. The mere fact that you can stop being addicted to something if you make enough changes makes it not an illness. A character trait maybe, a weakness definitely but calling these things a disease just feels like an excuse. “It’s not my fault I lost the house through gambling, it’s an illness”. It kind of absolves them of responsibility for their actions.

Maybe that’s harsh but I just can’t get on board with it. I have sympathy for them and I’m not suggesting it’s an easy thing to reverse but I just hate the rhetoric around it.

100%, it’s like people who are dyslexic, ffs just learn to spell.

or people with depression, just lighten up and pull yourself together. 

if I keep going I might get to a condition you or someone in your family suffers from. 

we can all disagree on footballing and many other things, but the arrogance of you to decided the whole medical profession and decades of research are wrong…

Jesus wept, you really are a rancid, pathetic individual.

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

How do most people get rid of addictions? Through willpower and lifestyle changes, including therapy. Can you do that with cancer, parkinsons, MD etc? That’s why I hate the labelling!

Your reading of my original post was me saying ‘they should just stop doing it and use some willpower’. Read it again, that’s not what I said. Lifestyle changes includes moving away from temptation, changing routines, losing friends etc. That’s arguably more important, but willpower is a huge part of overcoming addiction. 

Cancer, Parkinsons and MD arent curable. Addictions are. 

33 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I'm a recovering alcoholic and if a cancer patient said to me they were insulted I call my alcoholism an illness I'd tell them to STFU. Funnily enough, none of them have. I'm not sure that conversation has ever happened.