Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Just now, duo said:

I've gone through a rollercoaster of emotions since I first heard.  From disbelief, to anger, to frustration, to disappointment.  At the end of the day he ****ed up. He know's he ****ed up.  He is only 23 - even after 12 months he has still most of his career ahead of him. Anger isn't going to achieve anything - all we can do is get behind the lad.  

Yep, he's one of us now.  I've fucked up in my life enough to know people make mistakes and come through it.  My major ones were in my late 20's and pretty much homeless through stupidity.  I turned 30 and was pretty much homeless I think it's hard to remember exactly as I didn't have a smartphone as they were called then.  Not because of gambling or addictions but just idiocy.  Some people make stupid decisions, doesn't make you a cunt.

I am doing a lot better now financially than I would have if I hadn't fucked up so much as once I got sorted I was so much hungrier to succeed, I'll happily work 12-14 hours a day now if I need to.  I hope he comes back the same, a big point to prove.

Over the moon when we signed him, and having seen him play for Milan and even Brescia I've been frustrated with some of his performances.

Really feel for him watching that video. Look forward to him returning better than ever.

5 hours ago, Holmesy said:

I just don’t agree it’s an Illness. I don’t agree that any addiction is. You have no choice if you get cancer and you absolutely cannot get rid of it through willpower and lifestyle changes. Same with pretty much every other genuine illness. The mere fact that you can stop being addicted to something if you make enough changes makes it not an illness. A character trait maybe, a weakness definitely but calling these things a disease just feels like an excuse. “It’s not my fault I lost the house through gambling, it’s an illness”. It kind of absolves them of responsibility for their actions.

Maybe that’s harsh but I just can’t get on board with it. I have sympathy for them and I’m not suggesting it’s an easy thing to reverse but I just hate the rhetoric around it.

You sound like a nice person. 

Not one for conspiracy theories..

But when everyone was thinking that Tonali was emotional about Ibra retiring, since he's a club legend, could he have known it was going to be his last game for them.

Just now, Miggys First Goal said:

Ah, that video, man. If he had any doubt whether he was going to be supported, I think he got the answer. He’s one of us now. 

I'll be honest I went from pissed to depressed when the news broke. He's 23 and clearly a good footballer with a whole career ahead of him. He royally fucked up, basically kicked the club in the nuts.

That said, backing him like the good people of Newcastle did this afternoon is the right thing, on a human level and what would heaping scorn on him do? Very cool video and Trippier clearly backing his teammate like the leader he is.

Awesome video and scenes at SJP.

There’s definitely something wrong with this picture. Tonali getting support from the crowd but having to walk past adverts for betting companies. Just the three on this one shot. It’s about time football ended it’s relationship with these companies and banned them. 

IMG_4843.thumb.jpeg.4cab8b19874754fcaca8b0fcadfa2aa7.jpeg

1 minute ago, Decky said:

There’s definitely something wrong with this picture. Tonali getting support from the crowd but having to walk past adverts for betting companies. Just the three on this one shot. It’s about time football ended it’s relationship with these companies and banned them. 

IMG_4843.thumb.jpeg.4cab8b19874754fcaca8b0fcadfa2aa7.jpeg

There was a beer mat in my car the other day but it didn’t encourage me to drink drive.

Howe has said it was his idea to have the player front and centre in front of the supporters and was pleased with the crowd's reaction.

"It sort of came to me when we were doing our walk that I wanted him to be at the front, to see the love closer up," he said. "So it’s a big thank you from me to our supporters. That reception at the end was incredible and it was emotional.

"Sandro is going through an incredibly emotional time and the supporters reacted how I hoped they would. I could feel the love between him and them and that will do him the world of good, he’ll feel much better. The hardest part is ahead, but it’s great for him to know he’s got the support of the senior management and the supporters, they’re the most important.

He very much wanted to play and perform, for sure. There was no decision to make for me, I could see that from how he’s trained, so there wasn’t a part of me that went, “He’s not ready to play football”. it was just about introducing him at the right time, and I thought he did well after he came on.

"Hopefully this is a step forward to him for moving forward in his life. He’s very level. Very rarely do you outwardly see the emotion, but you know it’s in there. He’s a private guy and keeps things in check really well. I’m sure he’s massively boosted by today."

❤️

The way everyone at the club has pulled around him has swayed my attitude towards it all.

I think I was reacting abit harshly before thinking about how it would affect the clubs image, he's deceived us etc. Compared to what some of these other dickhead footballers get upto, it's a minor. Bans for gambling, but not for blatant abuse of your Mrs. (Greenwood). It's a funny old game.

Seeing him in that video, with Trippier putting his arm round him made it clear as day for me.

He hates fuckin Sunderland!

11 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Howe has said it was his idea to have the player front and centre in front of the supporters and was pleased with the crowd's reaction.

"It sort of came to me when we were doing our walk that I wanted him to be at the front, to see the love closer up," he said. "So it’s a big thank you from me to our supporters. That reception at the end was incredible and it was emotional.

"Sandro is going through an incredibly emotional time and the supporters reacted how I hoped they would. I could feel the love between him and them and that will do him the world of good, he’ll feel much better. The hardest part is ahead, but it’s great for him to know he’s got the support of the senior management and the supporters, they’re the most important.

He very much wanted to play and perform, for sure. There was no decision to make for me, I could see that from how he’s trained, so there wasn’t a part of me that went, “He’s not ready to play football”. it was just about introducing him at the right time, and I thought he did well after he came on.

"Hopefully this is a step forward to him for moving forward in his life. He’s very level. Very rarely do you outwardly see the emotion, but you know it’s in there. He’s a private guy and keeps things in check really well. I’m sure he’s massively boosted by today."

❤️

"Murphy said after the players have rallied around Tonali and also praised the fans for the "great love" they showed him.

"It shows what a family club we are," he said. "We've been supporting him all through the week and the fans showed great love for him today.

Gordon added that it has been a hard time for Tonali, but his team-mates can only support him.

"The fans today when Sandro came on and even before that were incredible," he said.

"They always support their players. We can only support him, we understand it is a very difficult time for him and his family.""

Love this too, whole club has his back.

2 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

Yep, he's one of us now.  I've fucked up in my life enough to know people make mistakes and come through it.  My major ones were in my late 20's and pretty much homeless through stupidity.  I turned 30 and was pretty much homeless I think it's hard to remember exactly as I didn't have a smartphone as they were called then.  Not because of gambling or addictions but just idiocy.  Some people make stupid decisions, doesn't make you a cunt.

I am doing a lot better now financially than I would have if I hadn't fucked up so much as once I got sorted I was so much hungrier to succeed, I'll happily work 12-14 hours a day now if I need to.  I hope he comes back the same, a big point to prove.

You will be ok.  You have the right mindset.  Take care and good luck.

If Milan is his boyhood club, that clip is the moment he properly fell in love with this one.

Eventually this kid is going to be great for us, he’ll walk over broken glass for this club when he has the opportunity.

Reflecting on this some more. I'm starting to think that it is a bit messed up these lads are getting hit with long bans.

The Toney one sort of felt the same. They obviously have a problem and need help to overcome it, but taking away the one distraction they have just doesn't feel like the right solution.

Obviously if he was betting on anything that would call into question the integrity of the game like betting on his team to lose then yes a ban of some form would probably be needed but I just wonder the logic behind banning these guys for full seasons etc. 

I think the more this happens, there will be a change in perception of gambling and the punishments will change. Unfortunately for us and Tonali these sort of cases are still fairly new and he is likely going to be made an example of like Toney.