Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

45 minutes ago, STM said:

Also, Tonali will be drip fed into the side. We know Howe well enough to know that he won't be fired straight into our first 11.

Pope, Trippier and Isak were.

Burn, Targett and Wood aswell i think.

1 minute ago, pormag said:

Tonali is miles better.

Tonali, Bruno, Joelinton is our first choice midfield.

Willock is in there too. He's not a bad option. He'd probably be fighting the LW spot with Joelinton.

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

yeah. And we bought Bruno too who was better than everyone else we had in CM. Still drip fed him into the side. 

That was a side fighting relegation. We have moved on.

1 minute ago, pormag said:

Pope, Trippier and Isak were.

Burn, Targett and Wood aswell i think.

Bruno, Isak and Gordon have all been eased in, he'll most likely do the same with Tonali. Allow him to get a feel for the league, etc.

The lads introduced immediately in January 22 were done so out of necessity. We now have the luxury of allowing players to settle.

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Bruno, Isak and Gordon have all been eased in, he'll most likely do the same with Tonali. Allow him to get a feel for the league, etc.

The lads introduced immediately in January 22 were done so out of necessity. We now have the luxury of allowing players to settle.

Isak was straight in for the first few games then got injured.

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Not sure what the month has to do with it. We signed Botman in the summer and he didnt start 3 of first 7 league games. 

Bruno joined in the middle of the season and hadn't trained with the team, Tonali will have had (most of) a preseason. 

5 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

That's because of fitness levels. Our team is ultra fit to play the way we do and you can't do that overnight.

Yeah. With tonali being a few weeks behind given he’s at an international tournament then he’ll have some catching up to do. Plus, given Longstaff had an outstanding season last year I don’t think he’ll be immediately binned from the first xi

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Yeah. With tonali being a few weeks behind given he’s at an international tournament then he’ll have some catching up to do. Plus, given Longstaff had an outstanding season last year I don’t think he’ll be immediately binned from the first xi

Longstaff isn't going to be binned though. I don't know why you are using such dramatic language.

Just now, TRon said:

Longstaff isn't going to be binned though. I don't know why you are using such dramatic language.

binned/dropped/moved to the bench/used to make way for tonali. Sorry if the term binned got you a little aggravated there mate. 

Burn had been outstanding for us, hard to break up a settled CB partnership etc, plus I don't think we were as certain that Botman would be as much of a sure thing upgrade as we are with Tonali.

Isak got thrown straight in because of Wilson's injury in fairness and I don't he would've been otherwise, but Wilson guarantees points with his goals so you're not going to sacrifice that as willingly to get a potentially better player into the side.

The argument with Tonali and Longstaff is different IMO.

1 minute ago, jackflap said:

Burn had been outstanding for us, hard to break up a settled CB partnership etc, plus I don't think we were as certain that Botman would be as much of a sure thing upgrade as we are with Tonali.

Isak got thrown straight in because of Wilson's injury in fairness and I don't he would've been otherwise, but Wilson guarantees points with his goals so you're not going to sacrifice that as willingly to get a potentially better player into the side.

I don't think Eddie treats any player different whether they cost 100m or free. Irrespective of the talent. If they can't fit in his system they won't start until they can.

2 minutes ago, jackflap said:

surely the club knew botman was going to be a significant upgrade on what we had. 

3 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

I don't think Eddie treats any player different whether they cost 100m or free. Irrespective of the talent. If they can't fit in his system they won't start until they can.

But Tonali is a perfect fit and a big upgrade. Couple of pre season friendlies will show that

11 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

surely the club knew botman was going to be a significant upgrade on what we had. 

I'd say they were very hopeful but not certain. He came from a lesser league, going to the quickest in the world and wasn't renowned for his pace. Think we can all agree he's exceeded expectations.

32 minutes ago, jackflap said:

But Tonali is a perfect fit and a big upgrade. Couple of pre season friendlies will show that

He is but I don't think Eddie gives a fuck. I honestly think he would sign prime Messi assess his fitness, familiarity with our system and if it wasn't perfect he would start Murphy over him. We are a team, a functioning unit.

Edit: that's nothing against Murphy, I think we actually have a higher win% when he started this season. He has been great under Eddie and I think he'll be here for a while and I would like him to be. 

Edited by relámpago blanco

Think people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they expect Tonali to come straight into the team. Howe doesn't tend to operate that way from what we've seen so far, and at this point I have no qualms with it tbh

1 minute ago, jackflap said:

I'd say they were very hopeful but not certain. He came from a lesser league, going to the quickest in the world and wasn't renowned for his pace. Think we can all agree he's exceeded expectations.

I’m pretty sure the club knew they were getting a significant upgrade like. 

Just now, Barnes23 said:

Think people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they expect Tonali to come straight into the team. Howe doesn't tend to operate that way from what we've seen so far, and at this point I have no qualms with it tbh

I think he might and might not. Could easily see him playing a couple out of the first five.