Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Personally think the 'addiction' part is fabrication to try and reduce the punishment by playing against mental health and sympathy 

I have no evidence of this, but it's what I'd do if I genuinely fucked up something in my recent past that affects my livelihood 

4 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Personally think the 'addiction' part is fabrication to try and reduce the punishment by playing against mental health and sympathy 

I have no evidence of this, but it's what I'd do if I genuinely fucked up something in my recent past that affects my livelihood 

Probably says a lot more about you than Tonali.

2 minutes ago, janpawel said:

By his agent would be my guess. He just made a mistake that any super rich 20yr old could make.

I don't think anything remotely similar will ever happen again. Everything I am seeing suggest he is a thorough proffesional at heart.

4 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Probably says a lot more about you than Tonali.

Fair. But would you not consider such thing if you were in his shoes,  knowing the punishment could have been at worst 3 years banned (I think that's what I read)? 

6 minutes ago, Irish Magpie said:

By his agent would be my guess. He just made a mistake that any super rich 20yr old could make.

I don't think anything remotely similar will ever happen again. Everything I am seeing suggest he is a thorough proffesional at heart.

Aye, I'm sure he was advised on what to say for his best interests

1 minute ago, janpawel said:

Fair. But would you not consider such thing if you were in his shoes,  knowing the punishment could have been at worst 3 years banned (I think that's what I read)? 

Sure, but given we have no reason to make an assumption about how genuine his illness is I'd prefer to give the lad the benefit of the doubt. The club are thankfully doing the same and will support him throughout this. Fans should do likewise.

35 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Sure, but given we have no reason to make an assumption about how genuine his illness is I'd prefer to give the lad the benefit of the doubt. The club are thankfully doing the same and will support him throughout this. Fans should do likewise.

I agree with the poster who said it's made up and that's the only reason I'd keep him as you'd think everything will be OK after the ban. If the story is true then I'd get rid as the risk of reoffending again is too great to take. 

Edited by macphisto

23 minutes ago, Sean said:

I can't shake the feeling he joined us as a club to sit out his ban at, rather than actually wanting to leave his boyhood club for a new challenge. 

Maybe.  See if he puts in a transfer request next August.  Doubt any club would match the salary we're paying him.

23 minutes ago, Sean said:

I can't shake the feeling he joined us as a club to sit out his ban at, rather than actually wanting to leave his boyhood club for a new challenge. 

I'm the same. Everyone wins apart from us. Tonali doubles his wage, Milan get £55m to reinvest in the team and they also move the ticking time bomb which is an impending ban onto a patsy club....us. Milan is his boyclub team and he'll do anything to help them according to their Ultras. 

It's like us selling Longstaff to Juve for £55m and transferring the ban risk over to them.

36 minutes ago, macphisto said:

I agree with the poster who said it's made up and that's the only reason I'd keep him as you'd think everything will be OK after the ban. If the story is true then I'd get rid as the risk of reoffending again is too great to take. 

Delighted you have no input into the club's decisions. 

47 minutes ago, 500bhp said:

I'm the same. Everyone wins apart from us. Tonali doubles his wage, Milan get £55m to reinvest in the team and they also move the ticking time bomb which is an impending ban onto a patsy club....us. Milan is his boyclub team and he'll do anything to help them according to their Ultras. 

It's like us selling Longstaff to Juve for £55m and transferring the ban risk over to them.

It’s not like. Tonali isn’t a Milan youth product. They bought him 3 years ago. 

We don’t know if he’s a gambling addict or not.  Defences of him and finger pointing at him on that basis are futile - though I do agree that not everyone who gets into trouble or does something stupid because of gambling is an addict.  In the same way that not everyone who does something stupid when drunk is an alcoholic. 

Besides, being a gambling addict doesn’t mean that you have to bet on football matches, particularly ones you’re playing in.  There’s loads of ways to feed that addiction.  Tonali acted like a selfish, spoiled little shite to do what he’s done - and both he and his agent were certainly aware of what he’d been up to, whether Milan were or not.  And yes, there is the ‘well would you have told Newcastle’.  I might not have - but I wouldn’t have signed with it over my head.  Integrity and ethics do actually exist for some of us. 

And if I’m being completely frank, the only reason he has been indulged by the club instead of run out on his arse is because they’d just committed serious wedge to him and his transfer.  If this was Matt Ritchie or Paul Dummett or some youth team player, they wouldn’t even feel the door slam behind them, they’d be booted so quickly.  The club had no choice but to support him - I’m not convinced this support is due to how lovely and cuddly they all are.

Edit: gambling addiction is a very real and very horrible thing.  Don’t take from the above that I don’t think it exists.  It does. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

38 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We don’t know if he’s a gambling addict or not.  Defences of him and finger pointing at him on that basis are futile - though I do agree that not everyone who gets into trouble or does something stupid because of gambling is an addict.  In the same way that not everyone who does something stupid when drunk is an alcoholic. 

Besides, being a gambling addict doesn’t mean that you have to bet on football matches, particularly ones you’re playing in.  There’s loads of ways to feed that addiction.  Tonali acted like a selfish, spoiled little shite to do what he’s done - and both he and his agent were certainly aware of what he’d been up to, whether Milan were or not.  And yes, there is the ‘well would you have told Newcastle’.  I might not have - but I wouldn’t have signed with it over my head.  Integrity and ethics do actually exist for some of us. 

And if I’m being completely frank, the only reason he has been indulged by the club instead of run out on his arse is because they’d just committed serious wedge to him and his transfer.  If this was Matt Ritchie or Paul Dummett or some youth team player, they wouldn’t even feel the door slam behind them, they’d be booted so quickly.  The club had no choice but to support him - I’m not convinced this support is due to how lovely and cuddly they all are.

Edit: gambling addiction is a very real and very horrible thing.  Don’t take from the above that I don’t think it exists.  It does. 

Nah. Very confident the club would back any of our players going through this regardless of their monetary value. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I mean, you’d hope so (allowing for it being a diagnosed addiction).  But I also don’t think they had a choice with Tonali.

No choice. 5 year contract and just purchased. WTF was the other choice? Sell low or release on a free?