Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Great interview, comes across really well. Seems to have a close relationship with Bruno and Bug Joe. I can’t fucking wait to see him play, he’s a game changer for the midfield. 

When he smashes in his first goal at st James!

He scored on his debut.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Douglas' piece this morning that we intend to plsy him in a double pivot with Bruno to help link defence to attack.

Ohhh thats interesting, guessing that'd mean Big Joe would play further forward, and we'd look to "pivot" away from a three in midfield

Tonali     Bruno

Gordon    Joelinton     Barnes

Isak 

:sweetjesus:

Just invent your own football terms and wait for everyone else to use them. I've started to refer to the NUFC RW as a Ghost Winger, for example. 

Just now, 1964 said:

I'd love to know what a double pivot actually is [emoji38] is it 2 players running around each other, like 2 Scott Parkers?

This, cannot get me head around the new terminology. Inverted wing backs, mid blocks, false 5s, silly mid offs

2 minutes ago, 1964 said:

I'd love to know what a double pivot actually is [emoji38] is it 2 players running around each other, like 2 Scott Parkers?

Just a straightforward way of saying the two players who sit in front of the defence in a 4-2-3-1. One will hold while the other joins the attackers.

4 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Instead of having a traditional holding midfielder or DM, you have two players who take turns dropping in. Tonali and Bruno could do this for us.

Just now, OCK said:

Just invent your own football terms and wait for everyone else to use them. I've started to refer to the NUFC RW as a Ghost Winger, for example. 

[emoji38] id like to get 'coalescing front 3' into the narrative, just to make no sense whatsoever 

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Instead of having a traditional holding midfielder or DM, you have two players who take turns dropping in. Tonali and Bruno could do this for us.

So what are they pivoting around? It actually is each other isn't it? [emoji38]  scotty was pivoting before it was a thing

Just now, 1964 said:

So what are they pivoting around? It actually is each other isn't it? [emoji38]  scotty was pivoting before it was a thing

They take turns being the 'pivot/playmaker' of the team. It's all football blogger bullshit to sound smart. Old none bloggers used to do the same thing by using numbers to refer to playing positions. 

20 minutes ago, 54 said:

Ohhh thats interesting, guessing that'd mean Big Joe would play further forward, and we'd look to "pivot" away from a three in midfield

Tonali     Bruno

Gordon    Joelinton     Barnes

Isak 

:sweetjesus:

That... actually could be something quite sexual. 

8 minutes ago, OCK said:

They take turns being the 'pivot/playmaker' of the team. It's all football blogger bullshit to sound smart. Old none bloggers used to do the same thing by using numbers to refer to playing positions. 

Just now, jack j said:

Think Joelinton would struggle as a number 10 like

Jack J clearly above the age of 50.

'Double pivot' is simply quicker to say than 'playing with two 6/8 hybrids who alternatively push forward or sit deep depending on the success of their torso deception'

Honestly though, I hope we do set up like that, at least in passy passy situations. The 433/451 we set up in really doesn't work for posession football though it works well at other times of the game. No reason why both systems can't be incorporated. Just rotate the middle triangle round a bit.

I mean, we went to that system against Bournemouth when willock came on and suddenly Big Joe had someone near him to pass to (Bruno) and stopped losing the ball all the time. Bruno had a lot more licence to get forward because he knew Big Joe was back and would cover. And given Bruno is our best midfield playmaker, allowing him more freedom to get forward is probably a good thing.