Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Tonali has just arrived not even a couple of months ago, and has so far played Man City, Liverpool (both recent European Champions), a excellent Brighton side and AC Milan (Champions League semi-finalists a few months back), and seems he's almost being written off by some. Unbelievable. Between Radio Newcastle and Facebook, there's all sorts being said about him.

2 seasons ago we had the options of Hendrick, Hayden and Shelvey. 

Give the lad some time.

Edited by Karjala

19 minutes ago, Karjala said:

Tonali has just arrived not even a couple of months ago, and has so far played Man City, Liverpool (both recent European Champions), a excellent Brighton side and AC Milan (Champions League semi-finalists a few months back), and seems he's almost being written off by some. Unbelievable. Between Radio Newcastle and Facebook, there's all sorts being said about him.

2 seasons ago we had the options of Hendrick, Hayden and Shelvey. 

Give the lad some time.

Umm, didn't he score against Villa? Just saying you missed a game.

Also, i remember they said that in his first year in Milan he struggled a bit and came to his own in the second season. Some Milan fans also said that he probably needs a lot of time to adapt. I have no doubt about it, he will be immense player for this club. Like many have said, give him time..it is very early days.

He has played a grand total of 5 competitive games for the club. Played excellent in one, played Liverpool/Citeh/Brigton away/AC Milan in the other 4, and yes has struggled at times, in a team that is struggling a little bit at the moment.

He is obviously quality - integral part of getting AC to CL semi finals.

He will come good.

We need to give Tonali time to adapt and he will deliver. Remember that if it hadn't been for the injuries we have in midfield, Eddie would probably have carefully slotted him in.

He has certainly been thrown into it and it can go either way. If you want to criticize Tonali, you can just as easily criticize Hall and Livramento as to why they haven't been able to fit into the team. Tonali is coming, but give him time.

46 minutes ago, Krabbe2 said:

We need to give Tonali time to adapt and he will deliver. Remember that if it hadn't been for the injuries we have in midfield, Eddie would probably have carefully slotted him in.

He has certainly been thrown into it and it can go either way. If you want to criticize Tonali, you can just as easily criticize Hall and Livramento as to why they haven't been able to fit into the team. Tonali is coming, but give him time.

No you can't easily criticise Hall or Livramento in any way lol

He's a bit like Pau Torres with us.

Young, never played abroad before, in fact played almost all his previous football at or near home (Lodi, Brescia, Milan), having to get used to a different language, a different league.

He's going to have bad games, he's going to make mistakes, he's not going to be a world beater as soon as he's dropped in.

When I think back to when I was 23, I was probably still climbing trees, shoplifting and playing conkers for fun, let alone handling all that.

Needs time.

Edited by brummie

I remember for a long time, I thought Rodri couldn't play with Gundogan. In Rodri's first season they lost 9 times in the league and finished a distant 2nd. Rodri looked too slow and cumbersome to do the job Fernandinho had done for the last half-decade. Gundogan looked a level below David Silva, who was being phased out the side. Rodri looked too slow and Gundogan wasn't as slick.

But over time - Pep tinkered with the setup, and those players stepped up. Rodri, when we played them this season, was mentally and physically so quick and dominating, first to every ball. That didn't happen when he first joined. I have no doubt the players are good enough to make it work; they need to adapt and step it up, and Howe needs to coach and tinker with it.

Like I said before. Tonali jogs about too much. This is Howe-ball; you have to be an off-the-ball warrior. He should learn and improve.

Edited by The College Dropout

I know a lot of people want to see Isak as a number 10, but honestly I'd like to see Tonali or Gordon there. From my understanding Tonali can benefit from a more advanced role, and I've heard he's not really a DM by any means. I also remember seeing Gordon as a number 10 in Everton, he was really good there. Working his socks off and creating chances.

Edited by Erikse

48 minutes ago, rutland said:

Cannot play in the same midfield long term with Bruno imo.

Don't think that's true. Villa was proof that they can work together. Our midfield 3 does need some work on the training ground and Tonali does need to get himself into games more but it will work. 

19 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

Agree. Tonali answered the question what happens if Bruno goes down? Not who can we bring in to complement Bruno?

For what it is worth, I imagined, and would still like to see them, playing as if they were joined by a long rubber band (best metaphor I can think of). Never more than 20 yards between them, sometimes one in advance of the other, sometimes both forward or both back. At all times offering an option for each other and one always free to receive from defence, or backwards from a forward.