Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

27 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Looks to me as if both he and Bruno are 6's. Do we have to switch to 4-2-3-1?

Neither of them are 6's in my book, at best you might call them stop-gap 6's. They just don't have the defensive discipline or recovery pace which a natural 6 would have.  I would say they are more no 8's by nature, both seem happier breaking forward.

I think this conversation highlights how fans talk in absolutes.

I mean, Bruno must be a bit of a number 6, since he played there all of last season and we finished 4th. [emoji38]

As for Tonali, I have no idea if he can be a long term number 6, I'm fairly sure he could cope with the demands reasonably well but "reasonable" isn't really good enough anymore.

But this just goes to show where we are now.... just looking for that little bit more. Should we have signed a natural DM? Possibly, but what if they weren't as good on the ball as Bruno, we may have gained something in back 4 protection and lost something on the ball. 

We are talking about is signing a "Bruno +" and those aren't easy to find and they certainly aren't cheap.

We need to be careful that when we try to fix things that we don't accidentally break something else.

I agree on the whole with the premise that Bruno should be released further forward but we'd need a helluva player to fill that gap.

18 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Agree. Tonali answered the question what happens if Bruno goes down? Not who can we bring in to complement Bruno?

Surely it's way too early to judge that. We've had a handful of games and the majority have been against absolute top teams. 

10 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

I wonder how much we could get kalvin phillips for??

He seems happy to just hang out at City's facilities collecting a £150k/wk and then take regular vacations to the Midlands / London / rest of the world as part of England's traveling party. Not a bad gig.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Surely it's way too early to judge that. We've had a handful of games and the majority have been against absolute top teams. 

No matter how much you say this, it will not register.

59 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Very valid point. It seems like more or less all of those chasing CL places were after the same few players, and in the end Chelsea bought both of the highest rated ones. They aren't even in the Champions League. :lol:

6 hours ago, prefabtoon said:

Tonali was never going to hit the ground running. due to language problems.coming in to a new country etc,

we need to give the lad time to settle in. I dont think we will see the best of him until maybe the back end of this season.

Or even next season. we need to be patient with the lad. He is clearly a class act, but needs time and patience.

Eh? For the price we paid I do expect him to hit the ground running sooner rather than later tbh. 

2 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

You could expect that yeah but sometimes it takes time. See Joelinton. 

How about Grealish at £100 million?!

Already played in the league and all, spoke the language and joined a team with top players everywhere!

People just say stuff man.

Different sport, but this is a struggling NFL QB and what he says here I think might be very similar to what Tonali's going through: 

"I felt like I wasn't playing my game ... kind of robotic ... not playing like myself .... Thinking less and just going out there and playing off of instincts instead of just so much info, so much data, in my head."

6 hours ago, Cronky said:

He sometimes shows a heavier first touch than I would expect. Hopefully that's just nerves.

Such early days for him, but if we can get him settled in then I'm fairly certain his first touch/first time pass will be admired. In the training footage I've seen he makes it look effortless in comparison to others!

2 hours ago, Weezertron said:

I'm happy enough that Eddie is aware of the midfield issue (at least I assume he is, given how frequently it's brought up by journos at pressers). 

I'd be way more concerned if I didn't think it was being addressed/worked on. 

Hilarious there's people on here think they've spotted something Eddie Howe hasn't. 

Absofuckinglutely hilarious 

34 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Hilarious there's people on here think they've spotted something Eddie Howe hasn't. 

Absofuckinglutely hilarious 

They do?

Its pretty much obvious that the MF isn't functioning to nearly the same level as last year, and that would be in both directions. The harder part is the fix, as to me it once Big Joe and little Joe are both back fit, I don't see a place for both of them (Tonali and Bruno) in the same team, unless the team structure/formation is changed.

Who is saying Eddie hasn't spotted it? 

Edited by OverThere