Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Think my head would drop a bit if I ditched captaincy of Milan to be behind Elliot Anderson in our pecking order, mind. 

On the other hand, for what we had in midfield, what we needed and our budget it’s looking a bit of a bizarre signing so far. I really don’t know what role we thought he’d play. 

Here he is.

Fuck all to say when we're winning, yet the first chance to get negative in a while and he's all over it like a cheap suit.

2 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

I'm not going to get worked up about his performances, cos agree he needs time. But aye he needs to be doing more for that block, and bothers me more since it's now not a one-off. Believe Eddie can kick that out of him.

A fair assessment.

Just now, UncleBingo said:

Here he is.

Fuck all to say when we're winning, yet the first chance to get negative in a while and he's all over it like a cheap suit.

I mean I’ve literally defended Tonali all season to be fair including about 10 minutes ago. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Think my head would drop a bit if I ditched captaincy of Milan to be behind Elliot Anderson in our pecking order, mind. 

On the other hand, for what we had in midfield, what we needed and our budget it’s looking a bit of a bizarre signing so far. I really don’t know what role we thought he’d play. 

I think what we've done is made signings that are more long term over immediate requirements for this season. See also Livramento and Hall. 

We weren't expecting to be in CL this season and maybe they're taking it as a free hit and not changing course too much. That said it will have an effect on our league form this season so they can't just ignore it either. 

The second goal wasn’t his fault. Someone in the middle decided to run out to the wing leaving Kudos totally unmarked and open for a pass.. I could see the fucking move about 15 seconds before the goal went in.

Tonali was fine. They are a good side and it’s a small pitch. Nobody had time or space to do much. Disappointing that we shrank back after bossing it for most of the half.

This will be seen as a good point later in the season.

4 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Here he is.

I just don't get it man.

Like, what is the point of 'supporting' a team, just to continue doing this?

Really strange behaviour.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Thought he was great second half. Seen enough the last few games to think him, Bruno, +1 is the way to go long term. 

Same here. He looks every bit the player who has some real technical quality and moves the ball around quite cleverly, but isn't in tune with the pace of this league yet so gets rushed a bit. I just feel he'll look a lot better after a couple of months experience here.

Whether folks like it or not Tonali is going to take time to fully settle.

He's inconsistent at the moment, but has shown enough glimpses of what he'll offer long term.

The desperation by some to write him off or question the signing is so strange.

It's the Gordon thing all over again, by the usual suspects. 

Get a grip.

Just now, UncleBingo said:

You've literally just questioned his signing. ?

Why do you never post when things are going well?

Things are going well. We’re in brilliant form. Negative weeiner.

There is bizarreness about his signing, given we spent a lot of money on him and he’s obviously a very talented boy but neither the defensive nor attacking midfielder we needed.

Yeah that 'close down' wasn't good but the idea that he doesn't have the heart for it is fucking mad considering he's clearly shown he's willing to put the work in, despite not having a great start to life here. I would put that goal down to a lapse in judgement way before any lack of heart.

I'm also more pissed off at the gaping hole left by others that let West Ham saunter their way in to that goalscoring opportunity in the first place.

Shit first half with some terrible balls. Much improved second half on the whole. And I've more than enough faith that Eddie will get him up to speed in the coming months. 

9 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I'm assuming he necer threw himself at it because doing so is how you get done if Kudus drops his shoulder :lol:

It was a great strike with little backlift, Tonali has shown he's not scared to get stuck in.

Aye. It's just a good strike. The problem wasn't Tonali's contribution, it was the shape of the team and lack of coordination in the press that led to their attack developing. 

It's easy to look at football in the last instance and say things like "why didn't he throw himself in the way of it", but it shouldn't really have got to that point, and I have no doubt it wouldn't have if we weren't showing obvious signs of fatigue in the last ten minutes. 

Thought he looked good second half too. Some absolutely embarrassing reactionary comments in this thread.

Should probably be asking why after a formation change they were able to walk down the full left hand side and cross it to the edge of the box unchallenged. Not blaming the only player who actually got out to try and make the block

That left '8' spot is kind of a hybrid midfielder/winger role. It suits the Joe's and Anderson much more than Tonali. He struggles to get involved and looks a bit lost there at times. 

Second half he looked much better in his actual position. 

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Whether folks like it or not Tonali is going to take time to fully settle.

He's inconsistent at the moment, but has shown enough glimpses of what he'll offer long term.

The desperation by some to write him off or question the signing is so strange.

It's the Gordon thing all over again, by the usual suspects. 

Get a grip.

Assuming this post is intended as ironic given nobody worth listening to has written Tonali off and you wrote Joe Willock off not long before Howe arrived.

6 minutes ago, toonfanman said:

Thought he looked good second half too. Some absolutely embarrassing reactionary comments in this thread.

Should probably be asking why after a formation change they were able to walk down the full left hand side and cross it to the edge of the box unchallenged. Not blaming the only player who actually got out to try and make the block

Good post.

10 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Things are going well. We’re in brilliant form. Negative weeiner.

There is bizarreness about his signing, given we spent a lot of money on him and he’s obviously a very talented boy but neither the defensive nor attacking midfielder we needed.

Seen enough to believe he’ll become a consistent asset in all competitions. I do wonder whether he was second choice to Sbozlai, who has instantly settled, as far as I have seen, and seems like he would have been a more natural fit with what we already have. 

I saw him getting instructions from Howe during the Bradford match. Was also impressed by how he pushed Bruno away when he was arguing a free kick today. Considering he didn't even speak english when he arrived I think he's done a great job at adapting and, *IF* he manages to adapt to the pace of PL could be a potential future captain. How long did it take for big Joe to adapt to the Premier League?

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Assuming this post is intended as ironic given nobody worth listening to has written Tonali off and you wrote Joe Willock off not long before Howe arrived.

Never wrote Willock off.

Besides that, Joe Willock had been at the club for two seasons, and took a while to get going under Howe, but came good eventually, which I acknowledged.

You've just stated the Tonali signing is bizarre after 8 Premier League games. No correlation whatsoever.

Nice try though.