Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Just now, STM said:

This shit is absolutely ridiculous mind. Some never learn. The same ones who no doubt called Gordon shite.

Proper torches and pitchforks. Everyone loves a scapegoat. Soon as one goes it’s look for the next.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

I thought this was is best game for us. Shocked to see criticism.

Hard disagree, his best game for us I think was against PSG. What made you think this was a good performance? His passing was mostly going backwards and his positioning to receive a ball was in areas that were far too tight to make a difference most of the time.

Their second goal he should have closed down their man better. 

PS - before anyone gives me the "give him time" - please don't, you can scroll a few pages back where I say the same thing regarding needs time. Doesn't mean the lad is free from receiving criticism.

Edited by Amir_9

Just now, Pilko said:

Is it though? I'm not doubting his ability as a footballer, which I think has shone through in fits and starts, but that's twice this season now he's half-heartedly closed down a shot from the edge of the area which we've then conceded a goal from.

Yes it is. Gordon was trash, like fucking horrific.

Just now, Pilko said:

Is it though? I'm not doubting his ability as a footballer, which I think has shone through in fits and starts, but that's twice this season now he's half-heartedly closed down a shot from the edge of the area which we've then conceded a goal from.

If Ward-Prowse had of scored from that free kick nobody would of said nowt about Longstaff.

Just now, Nine said:

When will people learn, give him a fair amount of time to adapt. 

No one is writing him off but he has to put a foot in in the 90th minute to block a shot fs there is no adapting needed for that.

Just now, Pata said:

Much more involved in the second half after swapping sides with Longstaff. Didn’t see much wrong, no idea what all the criticism is about.

I'm genuinely perplexed. I can only assume that some can't handle not winning and need a punchbag.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

This shit is absolutely ridiculous mind. Some never learn. The same ones who no doubt called Gordon shite.

He is struggling to defend, was fairly evident by his half arsed attempt to stop the shot, turning your back on any shot is unacceptable ffs 

1 minute ago, STM said:

Yes it is. Gordon was trash, like fucking horrific.

Not sure what Gordon has to do with it?

Any lack of effort sticks out like a sore thumb in this team and that's twice now he's sauntered out to a shot from the edge of the area which has flown in. 

5 minutes ago, Doops said:

He should have been throwing himself at that Kudus shot man, not acceptable!

Haven't seen the replay so will hold judgement on that, but would be disappointing if he could have blocked it. Other than that thought he did ok today, we were playing some nice football through the middle for the majority of the game.

6 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Starting to wonder if this lad has the heart for it.

Think my head would drop a bit if I ditched captaincy of Milan to be behind Elliot Anderson in our pecking order, mind. 

On the other hand, for what we had in midfield, what we needed and our budget it’s looking a bit of a bizarre signing so far. I really don’t know what role we thought he’d play. 

He strikes me as the shy, introverted type. From his press conferences and body language on NUFC videos.

Moving from Italy to Newcastle must be a huge culture shock in itself, let alone for someone who is more reserved. Then, factor in his lack of English, which is probably made worse by living in an area that's got a heavier accent and more colloquial language.

Then, as most have pointed out, he's playing in a different set up, in a different position, in a vastly different league.

Rather than berate him, give up on him or dismiss him as being sub-par, I'd like to see our fan base go the other way. I'd love to see a big Wor Flags effort for when Milan come over here. Show him that we are behind him and that he's now one of ours...!!

I think he'll get better and better, you can see he's not on the same wavelength as the others.

We could do with getting Joelinton and Willock back for that LCM spot and let Tonali rotate with Longstaff in RCM.

Do think he was a bit half hearted trying to block the equaliser though, must say. You'd expect a lot more from an all action, physical midfielder like him.

Fitness may well be an issue to consider, outside of giving him time to adapt to a new team and league. If we had Willock and Big Jo he wouldn't have played the 90 there.

Thought he was fine, the whole team were shit in the first half, don't feel any need to single out our shiny new toy because he's not slotting in seamlessly 

He’s hardly trained, and just played lots of minutes within days against Man City, PSG & West Ham.

Also coming to the tempo and aggression of the Premier League from the slow and patient Italian game.

Needs 6-12 months to get used to the league and settle into a new life culture too, still a young lad and still trying to pick up the language too.

Just needs some time and some patience (see Gordon, Miggy, Joelinton etc)