NUFC Transfer Rumours

13 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

And could it not be argued that in about 85% of his games for us, ASM has been an ineffectual Show Pony?

All statistics are made up - 73.6% of the population knows that

12 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

And could it not be argued that in about 85% of his games for us, ASM has been an ineffectual Show Pony?

Honestly what were you watching? Maxi setting up Joelinton etc to fuck it up isn’t being a ‘show pony’ 

we can absolutely say injuries have hindered him and we can absolutely say howe has tried to get him to adapt which has made him far less direct but to call him a show pony is ridiculous 

ASM is in literally the top 1-10% of players in Europe's top leagues for assists, expected assists, carries, succesful take ons and runs and passes into the penalty area, shot and goal creating actions per 90, and all despite having an injury ravaged season. No end product is the opposite of his problem, it's a strength.

Ironically, I think his biggest problem last season is not being greedy enough. He's hardly taken any shots himself.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

ASM is in literally the top 1-10% of players in Europe's top leagues for assists, expected assists, carries, succesful take ons and runs and passes into the penalty area, shot and goal creating actions per 90, and all despite having an injury ravaged season. No end product is the opposite of his problem, it's a strength.

Ironically, I think his biggest problem last season is not being greedy enough. He's hardly taken any shots himself.

It’s almost irrelevant though if he can’t stay fit.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

True, but it's only been one season of it like. 

Think there was a post on here when the Tierney links were going on that showed ASM had missed as many days as him over the last few seasons due to injury.

His overall appearances don't look bad but I can't remember the Bruce days and if he had a bunch of sub apps due to returning from layoffs.

37 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

The irony of this post being Maxi's single handedly saved us from relegation twice and this has been forgotten after one sketchy season.

I don't want to disrespect Saint-Maximin at all, he's a wonderfully talented player that came up big when we were shit.

I do also feel like the team becoming more structured - along with injury issues - have killed his career here. He's not able to play the same way.

Just now, Newcastle Fan said:

ASM is decent and Joelinton did a fantastic job there when called upon.

ASM is injured all the time and yes, Joelinton did well there but he’s a midfielder. We need wingers on both sides.

21 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

This is how I see it too, it’s extremely hard to replace ASM’s abilities and I think Howe knows that. He’s a unique talent that would be a real weapon if he can stay fit and he understands what Howe wants even better. Really hope we don’t give up on him yet.

Just now, Pata said:

This is how I see it too, it’s extremely hard to replace ASM’s abilities and I think Howe knows that. He’s a unique talent that would be a real weapon if he can stay fit and he understands what Howe wants even better. Really hope we don’t give up on him yet.

We finished 4th without relying on his abilities for the majority of the season though.

Maxi is a good player I just don't think he fits the team now, he was the one bright light for years but now seems out of place.

We need to accept as we develop as a club players will move on and I think it is his time.

Thanks for the memories, thanks for the joy, thanks for the passion and thanks for been the antidote to Bruce Ball, but also thanks for the £'s to help us improve the squad, it will be others next year and is just part and parcel of our journey. 

26 minutes ago, gdm said:

Honestly what were you watching? Maxi setting up Joelinton etc to fuck it up isn’t being a ‘show pony’ 

we can absolutely say injuries have hindered him and we can absolutely say howe has tried to get him to adapt which has made him far less direct but to call him a show pony is ridiculous 

No but the memes of him doing 10 step overs without progressing the ball or beating a man certainly was. The reality is if ASM was half as good as some think, with a modicum of consistency, he wouldn’t have remained at Newcastle under Ashley.