NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We finished 4th without relying on his abilities for the majority of the season though.

Yeah but he has the skill set to take us even further when everything clicks is my point.

3 hours ago, hakka said:

Excuse me sir, but he damn well was world class still for a good while after that.

No, he really wasn’t.  The Shearer we signed and had in 96/97 never returned after that injury.

It is testament to his ability and his strength of character that he changed his game and remained an excellent PL striker.  But he wasn’t one of the world’s great centre forwards after 97. 

Could be an unpopular opinion at this point but I think I prefer Joelinton on the left rather than as part of a central three. He has that side of the pitch completely locked down and I think there's more to come from him offensively, too. Not to mention his excellent understanding with Willock. 

13 minutes ago, Pata said:

Tonali and Bruno certainly make the 4-2-3-1 a possibility.

Nah just do it in a 4-3-3.

Feels like playing through Isak as much as possible would probably be a good idea :lol:

1 minute ago, Barnes23 said:

Could be an unpopular opinion at this point but I think I prefer Joelinton on the left rather than as part of a central three. He has that side of the pitch completely locked down and I think there's more to come from him offensively, too. Not to mention his excellent understanding with Willock. 

No, I’m with you on that.  I’ve seen lots of comments re Joelinton-Bruno-Tonali, but Joelinton looks a lot better LW for me

I would personally sell ASM and Miggy (value at probable all time high after good season, fast approaching 30) this summer. Line up some dosh for FFP shenanigans even though it’s a myth and run it back with Big Joe, Barnes, Gordon, Murphy, Chiesa, Anderson

Crucify me

What all this means essentially is this year is the redemption arc of ASM. Last summer when we were linked with Diaby and Maddison it was all about getting rid of Almiron and no end product etc and look what happened there. 

Mark my words, a worldie season coming up from ASM

2 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

What all this means essentially is this year is the redemption arc of ASM. Last summer when we were linked with Diaby and Maddison it was all about getting rid of Almiron and no end product etc and look what happened there. 

Mark my words, a worldie season coming up from ASM

You might be right.  But I won’t be watching the Saudi league to find out. ;) 

1 minute ago, kocunar said:

Barnes looks like one of those players that scores 15 goals in a shit side and 3 goals for a good side.

Yeah, I know what you mean - both him and Maddison could be just that.  But we’ll soon find out - I think it’s a good signing tbh

I'll stick my tin hat on for this one, but if I was going to cash in on anyone this summer it'd be Almiron. I'd be shocked if he repeated the heroics of last season and his value will only decline from here.

Absolute workhorse, but painfully one footed and I still have nightmares about his pass in the opening minutes of the cup final.

Edited by The Prophet

2 minutes ago, kocunar said:

Barnes looks like one of those players that scores 15 goals in a shit side and 3 goals for a good side.

Interested in the logic here. Which other players fit the bill of scoring 15 goals in a wide position in a shit team and then scoring less than five in a good team? Grealish? Who’s been generally quality despite scoring less 

I love Maxi and when we’re playing against very good sides he’s a massive weapon. I do think he struggles when teams sit back and I genuinely don’t think he’ll ever be a great player at linking in with others. He’s really someone who just needs to be given as much freedom as possible to just run at people in a side that moves the ball to him extremely quickly. I just don’t think Howe will ever want him to have that level of freedom, given how much he values a cohesive unit

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Interested in the logic here. Which other players fit the bill of scoring 15 goals in a wide position in a shit team and then scoring less than five in a good team? Grealish? Who’s been generally quality despite scoring less 

It hasn’t happened yet so I can’t prove it, but Maxi? You could argue he was better when we were shit 

26 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

None of them score - we had waaaaay too many stupid missed changes last season that needs addressing.

howe might just be buying barnes as an option to get a goal when it’s looking like another draw.  My point is nobody knows our plans so we need to just sit back and trust the plans.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I love Maxi and when we’re playing against very good sides he’s a massive weapon. I do think he struggles when teams sit back and I genuinely don’t think he’ll ever be a great player at linking in with others. He’s really someone who just needs to be given as much freedom as possible to just run at people in a side that moves the ball to him extremely quickly. I just don’t think Howe will ever want him to have that level of freedom, given how much he values a cohesive unit

This is the real issue with Maxi in terms of fitting into the team IMO.

For a player with his pace it's shocking how infrequently you see him on the receiving end of passes in dangerous positions.

He's clearly been putting effort in to improve what he does when he has the ball but the bigger issue has always been his movement without it for me.

In the back to back seasons where Leicester finished 5th he scored 15 goals and got 12 assists in 61 appearances (46 starts).

I think he will score less here but his assists will go up compared to the last 2 seasons.

With Gordon, asm and also Joe all able to play left wing this signing is surprising. Howe would probably take Barnes to the next level so should he regularly get 15 goals/assists a season you can't really ask for more than that from a winger really.

6 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

None of them score - we had waaaaay too many stupid missed changes last season that needs addressing.

howe might just be buying barnes as an option to get a goal when it’s looking like another draw.  My point is nobody knows our plans so we need to just sit back and trust the plans.

Willock and Longstaff were the worst offenders, Joelinton actually finished close to his xG. We really need both of them to remember how to shoot again as they’ve both shown they can do that before.

Somehow Schär also had over 5 xG and scored just one thunderbastard.

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

Willock and Longstaff were the worst offenders, Joelinton actually finished close to his xG. We really need both of them to remember how to shoot again as they’ve both shown they can do that before.

Somehow Schär also had over 5 xG and scored just one thunderbastard.

Willock has but I don’t remember longstaff ever being good at shooting to be honest. Might be wrong though

43 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, he really wasn’t.  The Shearer we signed and had in 96/97 never returned after that injury.

It is testament to his ability and his strength of character that he changed his game and remained an excellent PL striker.  But he wasn’t one of the world’s great centre forwards after 97. 

Stop pissing on my childhood hero memories :lol:

I know he never hit same heights before 97, but he still produced many world class moments for us. I never really stopped thinking he was world class until after Robson was sacked era. Still love things like the Inter hat-trick in Champions League.

3 minutes ago, hakka said:

Stop pissing on my childhood hero memories :lol:

I know he never hit same heights before 97, but he still produced many world class moments for us. I never really stopped thinking he was world class until after Robson was sacked era. Still love things like the Inter hat-trick in Champions League.

His hat trick was vs Bayer Leverkusen.

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

If we are in for Chiesa, I think any move for him would likely be a loan deal. Don’t think a move for Barnes would end any interest in Chiesa.

I really, really want this to be true, wish I could convince myself it's realistic. :lol: