NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

But we have already had arguably or best windows without European football.

Sure, but we can all agree that higher league finishes will more often than not attract the better players to us, especially with the amount of competition in the league for truly “transformative” players. It’s not like we blow other teams out of the water with offering massive wages either.

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Sure, but we can all agree that higher league finishes will more often than not attract the better players to us, especially with the amount of competition in the league for truly “transformative” players. It’s not like we blow other teams out of the water with offering massive wages either.

Think it’s quite achievable if we shop in the foreign market tbh, loads of talent out there.

47 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We have had injuries for months so you can't exactly call it 'reactive'.  I would hope Dan has targets lined up based on varying circumstances so there really is no excuse to not move quickly in the transfer market.

2 minutes ago, Menace said:

£45M for a player that's just turned 29. I don't see it.

Out of interest, how much would you pay for a 28 year old Trippier?

Edited by Dokko

12 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Feel like that’s a decent price for him tbf. Longstaff is one of the first names on the team sheet for us and Phillips can do  everything he does but better and with bonuses of being better athletically and giving us a much needed option of having a true defensive 6.

I’m not in the camp of writing off this season entirely, yet. In theory KP could be the difference between getting European football or not. These “next-level” summer alternatives to him may not even want to join a team that’s limped to a 10th place finish at the end of the season.

I've never actually watched that much of Phillips from the bits that I've seen he used to be an all action type. If Pep wanted him at City then I would assume he's not that bad a player technically, but maybe not quite good enough for them, because they are light years ahead of us still. I think he could bring qualities that we are sorely lacking in both Longstaff and Bruno.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

We signed Trippier and Bruno in a relegation fight, along with Botman and Isak after finishing 11th.

I know, but contextually it is different. Depends on the implication of “transformative”. That changes when you’ve been in the CL. The targets will adjust according to where you finish. 

Of those three only Trips was pulled from a bigger club. Botman was at Lille, Isak was at Sociedad, Bruno at Lyon. That quality of course was very transformative then, but I took it to mean they are wanting to go to the next level. Just my opinion of course. 

1 minute ago, Menace said:

£45M for a player that's just turned 29. I don't see it.

Yeah, besides our panicky relegation-threatened window, this doesn’t seem in keeping with our transfer policy (which is a shame imo).

Just now, Sempiternal said:

I know, but contextually it is different. Depends on the implication of “transformative”. That changes when you’ve been in the CL. The targets will adjust according to where you finish. 

Of those three only Trips was pulled from a bigger club. Botman was at Lille, Isak was at Sociedad, Bruno at Lyon. That quality of course was very transformative then, but I took it to mean they are wanting to go to the next level. Just my opinion of course. 

People forget about the player who turned us down due to league position. There were plenty. 

Just now, Dokko said:

People forget about the player who turned us down due to league position. There were plenty. 

Yeah I don’t think it’s really controversial to say that targets will absolutely change depending on league position. That’s true across every club. Not just us.

1 minute ago, Sempiternal said:

Yeah I don’t think it’s really controversial to say that targets will absolutely change depending on league position. That’s true across every club. Not just us.

If it's reality but negative, even slightly, it cannot be said. More will see what we can do, and have done compared to when Bruno signed, but there will be some, especially the 'transformative' signings the board want, who will look and go for an established club, or flavour of the moment (us last summer, probably Villa this summer)

15 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

He’s not as good technically for his position as the other 3. 

That's not the point I was making, rather that we are still signing young internationals of the type similar to Bruno, Isak Botman.

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

If it's reality but negative, even slightly, it cannot be said. More will see what we can do, and have done compared to when Bruno signed, but there will be some, especially the 'transformative' signings the board want, who will look and go for an established club, or flavour of the moment (us last summer, probably Villa this summer)

Yes I think villa likely getting CL compounds stuff. They will be on a big positive wave, especially if they win the EConference. Maybe Spurs get back in as well. There’s more factors that can go against you 

17 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Out of interest, how much would you pay for a 28 year old Trippier?

Whats the correlation? I don't see us spending a chuck of our money for a player that will need replacing in 4 seasons. It doesn't go with our transfer model, but we'll see.

Edited by Menace

I think we're probably allowing the Philips rumour to act as a smokescreen while we work on other deals. Philips as a player makes sense to us but his profile and price tag don't, and I don't see the board sanctioning the £40m purchase of a player we might get 2-3 decent seasons out of. I just can't see us deviating from our transfer blueprint to that extent.

I'd like to see him here and it's not my money so i don't really care about that, but it would feel very out of character. 

2 minutes ago, BShearer said:

I still think there is no money to spend this window. maybe some loan without option to buy.

That's why the Saudi loans seem to make more sense. I don't know how realistic Neves is on a straight loan but it would surely be a more attractive option, if available

IF we are to bring in any players in January already then I hope it’s young super talented players that aren’t super expensive (yet) and give them some game time here and there and let them prosper hopefully and bed in and be ready to compete for next season. But they have to be really talented otherwise it’s rather pointless. I don’t want us to spend too much money on an old player. Then in the summer try for more transformational players. 

For example, it wouldn’t be bad business to sign some young RW for a good price and hope we hit jackpot. Then in the summer sign another RW of the highest quality possible. 

Can’t say I’ve seen much of him. But maybe someone like Mathias Soule? Supposed to be very very talented and seems available for a good price and we have been linked. 

8 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

That's why the Saudi loans seem to make more sense. I don't know how realistic Neves is on a straight loan but it would surely be a more attractive option, if available

I think these Saudi loans are complete fantasy. 

30 minutes ago, macphisto said:

That's not the point I was making, rather that we are still signing young internationals of the type similar to Bruno, Isak Botman.

But that is the point I am making. We haven't prioritised technical ability in the last 2 windows.

5 minutes ago, Ikon said:

IF we are to bring in any players in January already then I hope it’s young super talented players that aren’t super expensive (yet) and give them some game time here and there and let them prosper hopefully and bed in and be ready to compete for next season. But they have to be really talented otherwise it’s rather pointless. I don’t want us to spend too much money on an old player. Then in the summer try for more transformational players. 

For example, it wouldn’t be bad business to sign some young RW for a good price and hope we hit jackpot. Then in the summer sign another RW of the highest quality possible. 

Can’t say I’ve seen much of him. But maybe someone like Mathias Soule? Supposed to be very very talented and seems available for a good price and we have been linked. 

It makes a load more sense when you consider the FFP tightrope we're constantly walking. Given how careful we have to be, £40m is a serious chunk of change to pull out of an already tightly management squad transformation budget. It's also arguably more exciting signing players with potential than finished articles.

I wonder if there's an option to bring Minteh back from his loan early?

40 minutes ago, Dokko said:

It's a forum, you can say what you like. The "you can't say anything negative" line is bad faith debate and a complete load of tosh.

A higher league position makes signing transformative players a lot easier, but it doesn't rule them out completely (as suggested by the original post). We all want to finish as high up the league we can and reep the benefits it'll bring.

16 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Would Howe play him?

24 minutes ago, BShearer said:

I still think there is no money to spend this window. maybe some loan without option to buy.

In that case we are basically writing this season off. Wouldn't be a massive shock tbh, FFP is what it is.