NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

14 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Bruno' brilliant as a deep playmaker, but he's just too slow to cover space quickly enough when teams break.

We're fairly easy to play through and that must addressed. 

I’m not sure if that because of any particular player though, or because of the system. 

If you commit to closing people down and pressing high up, surely there’ll always be the potential to be bypassed? 

Unless you don’t press with everyone, which just makes it less likely your press will work. 

As you can tell I’m not a manager, but I don’t think it’s a simple balance to strike. 

17 hours ago, Stifler said:

Jonathan David who we have been linked with scored a hattrick today in a 12-0 win for Lille in the French Cup.

Mind you though they played a team who had to travel 7,000km from an island where Death in Paradise is filmed. 

And ironically got murdered as well by the looks of it.

18 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m not sure if that because of any particular player though, or because of the system. 

If you commit to closing people down and pressing high up, surely there’ll always be the potential to be bypassed? 

Unless you don’t press with everyone, which just makes it less likely your press will work. 

As you can tell I’m not a manager, but I don’t think it’s a simple balance to strike. 

It's probably a bit of both tbh:thup:

3 minutes ago, Pearljam10 said:

Kalvin Phillips not in the starting lineup or the bench today

He’s never in their starting lineup to be fair. The official line is that he’s ill fwiw.

Phillips allows us to be far more flexible as it does actually give our 8s license to push up and we’ve got a guy whose job is to break up play or pick up scraps. 

really need to keep stressing the moment we seem to lose discipline in shape we’re getting passed through directly between midfield and defense. That has to be fixed man. I don’t see how training 1x a week is going to suddenly recharge the front 6 to pressing for 90 mins a game without Barnes, Willock, Anderson and Murphy back asap and even then teams with good technical players and an athletic attacking mid will continue to get pockets of space to exploit. 

Edited by Kanji

13 hours ago, BonesJones said:

Does a DM have to press that much and have Howe levels of fitness, or can they just sit a little more in front of Botman and Schar without having to run about like an Almiron? With the way we play I'd imagine he'd spend most of his time just guarding for counters, while trippier and the LB push up.

Either way, if it's a good fee maybe with an option, then its an extra body for pretty cheap and could really help out in certain situations. I'm for it, but does remind me of a Tierney/Maddison rumour.

The number 6 doesn’t need to press in a 4-1–4-1 set up which is essentially a refined 4-3-3 formation - like Busquets at Barca - the number 6 plugs any gaps left by the pressing 4 ahead of him so we are not always left open to counters - it’s why you see Pep playing with 3 then Riodri and Stones ahead - you are controlling the centre of the pitch 

2 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Bruno' brilliant as a deep playmaker, but he's just too slow to cover space quickly enough when teams break.

We're fairly easy to play through and that must addressed. 

It’s not really about his pace, it’s the fact that all 3 midfielders move up and no one stays back for cover. Even if Bruno was faster, we would still have the same problem. 

Edited by Solitude20

24 minutes ago, Mikky said:

The number 6 doesn’t need to press in a 4-1–4-1 set up which is essentially a refined 4-3-3 formation - like Busquets at Barca - the number 6 plugs any gaps left by the pressing 4 ahead of him so we are not always left open to counters - it’s why you see Pep playing with 3 then Riodri and Stones ahead - you are controlling the centre of the pitch 

An upgraded version of Burn, a quick ball player of a LCB to play that inverted role or a Rico Lewis style (Hall?) tucking in would be nice next to the 6. Trippier sometimes does it which is pretty neat to see. 

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

Do villa play kamara and Luiz in DM?

Yeah different system to us but think either of those 2, with Bruno and Joelinton either side would make us stronger in midfield.

2 hours ago, reefatoon said:

Don’t think this is necessarily true (the desperate need of a dedicated dm). Before Joelinton went off we were absolutely fine and controlling it (like we have done most of last season). I think having three players in there who can switch and control possession is the right way, but we have just been hit with key players missing from that, and are left with a weak looking midfield because of it. Personally don’t think just putting a DM in there makes the difference (think it may hamper us going the other way). We just need to get players back and players in who can be part of that dynamic three in the centre of the pitch, who cover and work both ways on the pitch. 

I certainly don’t think we need a David Batty type and agree with Joelinton playing it’s not as obvious. Still think at the top level the squad needs to have different options on ways to play, at home to Dortmund we were exposed horribly in the 1st half and sure Joelinton was playing that night.

Edited by Whitley mag

Lot of people gonna be disappointed when we sign Phillips and Howe just slots him in as a 6 without changing the system at all.

Edited by Deuce

14 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Lot of people gonna be disappointed when we sign Phillips and Howe just slots him in as a 6 without changing the system at all.

not your mate but you’ll just have to wait and see 

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

I certainly don’t think we need a David Batty type and agree with Joelinton playing it’s not as obvious. Still think at the top level the squad needs to have different options on ways to play, at home to Dortmund we were exposed horribly in the 1st half and sure Joelinton was playing that night.

For me the system is sound, we have just been so unfortunate with injuries and Tonali’s ban. Last season when we weren’t full of injuries we had one of the best defence records in the league. That came from not just having a solid settled back line, but also the amount of work and protection the midfield put in.

Im sure it would have been the same story this year too if it wasn’t for our bad luck. I feel it’s just a little too reactionary saying we need a DM because we have been overrun in certain games, without taking in the fuller picture.

2 hours ago, Deuce said:

Why are wanting to change system? 

50 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Still no decent links other than KP?

Shame no links to Yousuf Fofana - him and Big Joe in one midfield would have been insane 

1 hour ago, STM said:

I’m guessing to combat our midfield being shredded by a single pass, solidify the defence particularly away from home and become less predictable game to game would be the main three reasons…

2 hours ago, STM said:

Seems like many are taking it as a given that signing Philips means we’ll start deploying a traditional defensive midfielder, when there’s no indication that Howe wants to do that.

I do think Phillips would also do well in the Longstaff role fwiw.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

I’m guessing to combat our midfield being shredded by a single pass, solidify the defence particularly away from home and become less predictable game to game would be the main three reasons…

None of them were problems last season.

You could put a more traditional DM in there, but that's not a change of system, that's a change of personnel.

A change of philosophy, formations, tactics would be suicidal. I wonder if Man City or Liverpool want Klopp/Guardiola to tear up the blue print because they lose a few games?

2 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Seems like many are taking it as a given that signing Philips means we’ll start deploying a traditional defensive midfielder, when there’s no indication that Howe wants to do that.

I do think Phillips would also do well in the Longstaff role fwiw.

Ah I think I'm misunderstanding the idea of "system".

For me putting Phillips as number 6 isn't a change of system. Its the same system, except with someone perhaps more naturally suited to the more subtle side of snuffing out counter attacks.

Although, signing Phillips would give someone who could play in a 2 with Bruno comfortably. That would be a change of system.