NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

6 minutes ago, Palace fan said:

Of course it does - spent a long time in Gosforth and while I'm about as far from local as you can get I understand. 

The reference was to PSG and that I imagine is where he sees himself - Toon are a few years out from that, no? Is that realistic? Consider that he has only just over one complete season in the PL and has the best goals per minute in the league with pens stripped out bar Haaland. Only just getting going imo - the goals are a new development this season. Last time around he had same figures for assists - he's adding to his game all the time. 

One footed (very) but there's been a few good's like that. And you need to remember he's been producing these numbers for Palace:laugh2:

Great to see a Palace fan on here.

Really interested in your views on your top 5 players?

I've seen a bit of your lot over the last couple of years and I'm always impressed by Anderson and Guehi as a pair.

Where do you see them when you're looking at the top 5 players given you've obviously got the attacking players + Wharton now in the mix?

That lad who’s scored all the goals for Olympiacos in the Europa Conference is out of contract in June - could be worth a punt as a back up option? 

He’s 30 but has scored 32 in 46 this season. 

I love Pope and definitely don't want us to sign Ramsdale for the reasons others have said 

I like it when keepers are a calming presence; Allison for Liverpool is as good as it gets lately for a keeper imo. Not a fan of the weird / eccentric types like Ramsdale 

It would be good if our next keeper does have some ability with the ball at their feet, mainly so we can slow the ball down and keep a bit more possession in certain times 

4 minutes ago, janpawel said:

I love Pope and definitely don't want us to sign Ramsdale for the reasons others have said 

I like it when keepers are a calming presence; Allison for Liverpool is as good as it gets lately for a keeper imo. Not a fan of the weird / eccentric types like Ramsdale 

It would be good if our next keeper does have some ability with the ball at their feet, mainly so we can slow the ball down and keep a bit more possession in certain times 

I really don’t rate Ramsdale like, there’s a reason he was dropped from an Arsenal team which nearly won the league.

The commercial deals and also the CL money should give us some opportunity to spend big once or twice this summer.

But 60m on a keeper? No chance.

Miggy out for 25m and someone at right forward in for around 35-40..

Wilson is the big decision, if they move him on we could get 10-15m for him. We could keep him but how many games will he miss?

No decent striker is cheap so that’ll be the other big one (if there is a big one).

Couple of free’s (Tosin, Kelly)

The main decisions will be around deciding which of the injury prone players we have to stick with.

Feels like Adarabioyo and Kelly coming in for free is really vital for our summer business. That would enhance our depth in defence hugely and allow for some wiggle room in that area next summer.  

We could've easily spent, £80M+ on two Centre backs and a Left Back so I'm really hoping they come in ASAP and get up to speed in pre season.

18 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

That lad who’s scored all the goals for Olympiacos in the Europa Conference is out of contract in June - could be worth a punt as a back up option? 

He’s 30 but has scored 32 in 46 this season. 

Watched both Villa games and he was fantastic. His movement and runs in behind were top tier. Think he's going to end up being signed by a pretty decent club.

Don't think we will make such a move though. Wilson looks like he will be here next season, and by all accounts were after a younger striker with some versatility, to start moulding as Wilson's eventually replacement.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Nee stones after us bonny lad 

Usually the stones after us are submerged 3ft under water and have “do not cross” signs posted. Most players who have left havent gone on an upward trajectory.

Haven’t seen much of him tbh except v us and Man U where he looked good. Just don’t want another ASM show pony who’s more about individual brilliance vs team chemistry which this team is built upon and EH demands.

Players who have to full on dribble at the oppo every time make the team disjointed. They physically seperate themselves from the rest of the team when attacking this way. You’ll see one guy running to goal and the rest of the team is at the hw line, unable to keep up. They also get isolated because teams will double, if not triple up on them. If he comes here and is the classic Pardew “bit of magic” type player then he’ll be a bench option. 

2 hours ago, Ellis H said:

Howe said in that Overlap interview that he'd rather go forward from the back in 1 or 2 passes instead of 5 or 6 and wants to progress up the pitch as quickly as possible. Doesn't want 10 passes in our own box etc.

On Pope, It's hard to say what he's personally responsible for but his numbers for us are fantastic. Just in the league, he is averaging about 2.5 saves a game, which is low, and has conceded only 46 in 51 games with 20 clean sheets. If we can do that with him (and a fit defence) then he's probably not a priority upgrade just yet if money is tight.

That's where a keeper who is comfortable passing into that gap between the striker and their midfield into Bruno/Tonali is massive, then. 

With Pope, it's either kick out for a throw-in and lose possession, launch it meaning the odds are more in the defence's favour, or the short pass out to the CBs due to not being comfortable/good enough to pass it out, which encourages the press and increases the likelihood we have to pass short more often in our own third to try to beat the press, or play long, which goes back to the odds their defenders picking up possession increases. 

I don't think we'd bring in a Ramsdale to start straight away ahead of Pope and he'd want to start right away, he'd also cost a lot of money.

More likely to be a younger keeper that would eventually take over in a year or two.

We were linked with the Swedish goalie at Villarreal Filip Jorgensen, who seems to be a highly rated prospect.

https://laligaanalysis.com/filip-jorgensen-viillareal-laliga-2023-24-data-stats-analysis-scout-report

I'll preface this by saying I'm very into the idea of us exploring out of contract players. Tosin and Kelly seem like they'd be great business.

But I beg people to stop thinking of them as some kind of PSR/FFP cheat code, especially when they come with a higher profile. Kamara was mentioned a couple pages back so let's use him as an example. Wages are approximately £8m per year. Reporting is all over the place on signing/agent fees, but seems like it was at least £15m combined. That means his annual cost is more than Tino and within a couple million of Gordon. In the headlines he was 'free'; in the official books he's no different than a £35-40m player on sensible wages.

It's probably appropriate to describe a player like Kelly as free given he's currently on very reasonable wages and is unlikely to command a big sign-on fee. But Tosin, with suitors that include Man United, Chelsea, and Spurs plus reports of 'demands' about a package and negotiating agent fees, seems like he's going to cost at least £8m per year. Is it a discount compared to a similar player? Probably, especially if wanting PL experience. But it's not free; it's Lewis Hall and maybe more.

Now the math on these become much more favorable if they are taking the place of someone who's on the higher end of our wage bill. For example, if we got £12-20m for Wilson or Miggy (or a magical world where we can shift Targett) then you're creating a net profit that can provide some flexibility elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I'll preface this by saying I'm very into the idea of us exploring out of contract players. Tosin and Kelly seem like they'd be great business.

But I beg people to stop thinking of them as some kind of PSR/FFP cheat code, especially when they come with a higher profile. Kamara was mentioned a couple pages back so let's use him as an example. Wages are approximately £8m per year. Reporting is all over the place on signing/agent fees, but seems like it was at least £15m combined. That means his annual cost is more than Tino and within a couple million of Gordon. In the headlines he was 'free'; in the official books he's no different than a £35-40m player on sensible wages.

It's probably appropriate to describe a player like Kelly as free given he's currently on very reasonable wages and is unlikely to command a big sign-on fee. But Tosin, with suitors that include Man United, Chelsea, and Spurs plus reports of 'demands' about a package and negotiating agent fees, seems like he's going to cost at least £8m per year. Is it a discount compared to a similar player? Probably, especially if wanting PL experience. But it's not free; it's Lewis Hall and maybe more.

Now the math on these become much more favorable if they are taking the place of someone who's on the higher end of our wage bill. For example, if we got £12-20m for Wilson or Miggy (or a magical world where we can shift Targett) then you're creating a net profit that can provide some flexibility elsewhere.

Matt Richie and Paul Dummett are out of contract for what its worth, but I still see them getting game time and 10 year contract renewals

7 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Are signing fees not amortised the same way as transfer fees are?

5 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Until we know the full details of the new FFP/PSR rules then it could also be counter-productive moving forwards to sign players on frees.

It looks like with the uncoupling of 3 year losses, that wages as % of income could be the most important factor in the new FFP world.  With player's on frees tending to command a higher wage then could be the limiting factor on our spend.

Probably worth noting that I read one article on this a week or 2 ago so could have misunderstood something.

6 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I understand the point your making but when you compare apples to apples it is a an FFP helper. 

Do the maths for Tonali vs Kamara this is a better comparison than Tino. Also, if you want to sell Kamara who you didn’t pay a transfer free it’s like selling an academy player as you have no transfer fee to amortise. Where as selling Tonali in year 3 would still have a book value of 20+m. 

High quality players don’t come cheap, if you can dodge a transfer fee and top up the players wages slightly your ahead. 

Just now, Keegans Export said:

Are signing fees not amortised the same way as transfer fees are?

Signing on fees are usually spread over the length of the contract too, and so aren't paid upfront or outright either, from my knowledge.

2 hours ago, RodneyCisse said:

I really don’t rate Ramsdale like, there’s a reason he was dropped from an Arsenal team which nearly won the league.

Reya is borderline elite with the ball at his feet and distribution, compared to Ramsdale who is borderline very good.

When you are at that level it is about fine tweaks to the system and play.

As for our goalkeeper situation, we need to bring someone in as Dubs does not suit the style of play we want and there has to be some concern around Pope and his shoulder.

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I understand the point your making but when you compare apples to apples it is a an FFP helper. 

Do the maths for Tonali vs Kamara this is a better comparison than Tino. Also, if you want to sell Kamara who you didn’t pay a transfer free it’s like selling an academy player as you have no transfer fee to amortise. Where as selling Tonali in year 3 would still have a book value of 20+m. 

High quality players don’t come cheap, if you can dodge a transfer fee and top up the players wages slightly your ahead. 

Not saying it can't help, which is why I said I'm very into the idea of getting both of them. But they are sometimes talked about like they are magic and it's related to the fact that so much transfer discussion is still focused on fees, while ignoring or minimizing wages, agent fees, and sign-on bonuses.

Tonali was expensive no doubt. But it's also not like we were choosing between the two. You can also make Tonali look good by comparing him to Casemiro's deal, but that seems equally irrelevant.

My point is just that, while likely discounted, they can still carry a high price tag because the premium on wages and fees is eating into some of the saved transfer fee. Also point taken on the potential benefit if selling them, but players who come in via a fee and without the premium on wages have their own accounting trick in the form of a contract extension to further smooth out amortisation.

9 hours ago, Ben said:

Why don't players pay their agent ?

Supply and demand they’ll argue. They don’t pay their own union fees. Two things that should change officially even if just superficially.

From Hope:

"Newcastle look increasingly likely to sign Tosin Adarabioyo on a free transfer from Fulham, but we can reveal Belgium defender Zeno Debast is also on their radar.

Recruitment chief Steve Nickson watched the 20-year-old during Belgium’s 2-2 draw with England at Wembley in March, and the home side only equalised late on after Debast was substituted.

The Anderlecht centre-back was very impressive that night and Newcastle like his profile. 

Sources in Belgium say he has an agreement that he can leave this summer, and a fee of around £15-20m has been mooted. West Ham and clubs in Italy are interested.

Debast has six caps for his country and is set to be part of their squad at Euro 2024, while he has already appeared 88 times for his club. 

He can also operate at right-back."

43 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

From Hope:

"Newcastle look increasingly likely to sign Tosin Adarabioyo on a free transfer from Fulham, but we can reveal Belgium defender Zeno Debast is also on their radar.

Recruitment chief Steve Nickson watched the 20-year-old during Belgium’s 2-2 draw with England at Wembley in March, and the home side only equalised late on after Debast was substituted.

The Anderlecht centre-back was very impressive that night and Newcastle like his profile. 

Sources in Belgium say he has an agreement that he can leave this summer, and a fee of around £15-20m has been mooted. West Ham and clubs in Italy are interested.

Debast has six caps for his country and is set to be part of their squad at Euro 2024, while he has already appeared 88 times for his club. 

He can also operate at right-back."

Namesake of one of my favourite Roman emperor, sign him up 😅

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Another Chelsea academy graduate?! Hell yah!!!