NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I've come across a rumour that we're interested in Ross Barkley.

An extremely gifted player whose career went south for some reason. If Eddie can get to work on him, it might well be a great signing.

Just now, Cronky said:

I've come across a rumour that we're interested in Ross Barkley.

An extremely gifted player whose career went south for some reason. If Eddie can get to work on him, it might well be a great signing.

To play where? [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

To play where? [emoji38]

Greetings, my old nemesis.

I could see him as a good addition to the squad, able to give Bruno a rest towards the end of games, or in European matches. 

I'd assume it's too late to restore him to his old state of fitness, but Eddie has a way of breathing new life into careers that have stalled. This would be a huge challenge, but with big potential rewards.

20 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Greetings, my old nemesis.

I could see him as a good addition to the squad, able to give Bruno a rest towards the end of games, or in European matches. 

I'd assume it's too late to restore him to his old state of fitness, but Eddie has a way of breathing new life into careers that have stalled. This would be a huge challenge, but with big potential rewards.

He’s 31 this year, just been relegated and a totally different type of player to Bruno. :lol:

I’m not your nemesis. I think you’re brilliant. You just come out with outrageousness - but I mostly appreciate it these days.

Just now, Ronaldo said:

He’s 31 this year, just been relegated and a totally different type of player to Bruno. :lol:

I’m not your nemesis. I think you’re brilliant. You just come out with outrageousness - but I mostly appreciate it these days.

Barkley has played the same role as Bruno this season, as the number 6 at Luton, dictating all their play from deep.

It's why he was getting so many plaudits earlier in the season, as he has looked very good in that role. Incredibly press resistant and his passing in those deeper areas was very good.

Posted (edited)

Barkley is on a free. We don't have anyone that is close to providing what Bruno does when he isn't available. This whole discussion is centred around funding a cheap backup. 

Edited by KaKa

9 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Neither of them is a number 6 and the thought of him coming in for Bruno, man. Just stop. :lol:

Bruno and Barkley have been playing similar roles for their teams this season, whichever way you want to call it.

I genuinely don't understand how you watch all these games and don't know what you're looking at.

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Bruno and Barkley have been playing similar roles for their teams this season, whichever way you want to call it.

I genuinely don't understand how you watch all these games and don't know what you're looking at.

Great players, good players and mediocre ones, generally. I know where Ross fucking Barkley sits.

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Great players, good players and mediocre ones, generally. I know where Ross fucking Barkley sits.

You're a funny guy man [emoji38]

Anyway, I'll just leave this here for people that are interested in a bit more detail and substance.

chrome_screenshot_19May202419_47_25BST.thumb.png.c6777d0ba35bacdb1c815bb44d6fb7e4.png

chrome_screenshot_19May202420_02_39BST.thumb.png.69b58fcf7ed50162f824fd5ceda77aa7.png

3 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Please stop trying to make Ross Barkley happen. Truly in the mud type of signing

Kaka’s fave, to be fair.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Barkley is on a free. We don't have anyone that is close to providing what Bruno does when he isn't available. This whole discussion is centred around funding a cheap backup. 

I thought we did in Tonali, we've just not seen him play.  Be it alongside Bruno, to rest Bruno, not as good but similar enough imo. We don't need a back up Bruno imo, we're stocked with decenty quality in CM, it's just the injuries killed us in there.

Edited by Bimpy474

The more I think about it, the more I realise the trouble we are in this summer.

If we dare go into another season with no viable back up to Bruno we are in serious trouble.

However, there are still so many other priorities that I have no idea how we make it happen otherwise it's a cheap freebie type.

Maybe you guys have some better ideas but I don't see it ... well, unless we sell Bruno or Isak. I know which route I'd prefer.

19 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Rumour I read is that we have been offered Barkely because he is available for nothing. I doubt we bite. 

He’s been offered to loads of teams. Desperately trying to stay in this league.

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

I thought we did in Tonali, we've just not seen him play.  Be it alongside Bruno, to rest Bruno, not as good but similar enough imo. We don't need a back up Bruno imo, we're stocked with decenty quality in CM, it's just the injuries killed us in there.

Yeah, I could see that being an option, but the problem is that is likely to mean Longstaff coming in as the 3rd starter in those instances. And honestly, I'm no longer comfortable with that at all. I want him pushed down further.

Just now, KaKa said:

Yeah, I could see that being an option, but the problem is that is likely to mean Longstaff coming in as the 3rd starter in those instances. And honestly, I'm no longer comfortable with that at all. I want him pushed down further.

Well i would say Joe or Joe would come in alongside them two. Fitness permitting we might have the chance to properly rotate next season. so you can chuck in Anderson, Miley as well as Longstaff.  Lots of option IF they stay fit in numbers.

I'd be giving Miley a crash course in the number 6 role. He's one of our few players comfortable enough on the ball to play there.

If we get EC, I'd be tempted to give the lad as many run outs as possible in that position. Alternatively, and much more likely, Tonali drops in there from time to time.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

I'd be giving Miley a crash course in the number 6 role. He's one of our few players comfortable enough on the ball to play there.

If we get EC, I'd be tempted to give the lad as many run outs as possible in that position. Alternatively, and much more likely, Tonali drops in there from time to time.

Would be a massive learning curve for him. I felt his weakness this season was awareness behind him. It’s key to that role. Granted, he’s still very young.