NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

TransferZone00. I know we’re gagging for rumours lads, but this is like licking the pub carpet to try and get a drink.

It's from The Athletic's Transfer DealSheet page. Also mentions we won't be going back in for DCL unless we move on Wilson, but given we failed to agree personal terms with him we're looking at other options. Jonathan David being namedropped. 

The times I have watched Leeds when they were in the prem I thought he was one of their best players. Reminds me a bit of Ryan fraser type winger, with pace to beat players and hassles in the press but doesn´t have a huge deal more.

Would be great back up to a bigger RW signing

6 minutes ago, junkhead said:

I haven't seen Kubo in a full match although I've tracked his progress over the years.. He has that typical left-footed footballing genius.. dribbling agility, passing vision, crossing/shooting technique..

Gnonto, on the other hand, seems to me more of an athletic striker but he's too small for that role.. from what I've seen he lacks the footballing brain to ever be a top creative player from the wing.. 

Agree - I just feel the Kubo type is better for us - we have the more direct players in Gordon and Barnes - just want something a bit different on that side 

Feels like there is a lack of/ small pool of elite RWs that we can realistically go for. I will take signing Mbeumo and Gnonto, selling Almiron as a reasonable alternative.

Edited by LRD

11 hours ago, KaKa said:

No idea what folks are looking at really. Can't believe it.

There’s no way MGW is close to 180. But as some have said, who cares? Some of the greatest footballers ever have been small. Just wanted to point out that height isn’t even discussed regarding for example MGW but with Gnonto it’s apparently a big problem.

Edited by Collage

50 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

TransferZone00. I know we’re gagging for rumours lads, but this is like licking the pub carpet to try and get a drink.

I mean, the first sentence tells you the source 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Mad that it was ever thought carpets in pubs would be a good idea.

Safer.

People didn't throw their pints in the air when their team scored and pubs were full of older gents not coked up chavs.

Edited by Dokko

I'm guessing the lack of activity is down to the reshuffle in ownership and board level. I would have thought we had a couple of names lined up early. Euros probably hasn't helped, but that would suggest we're buying from that pool. 

We have a season now without Europe with all of our purples very very likely to stay imo. What we don’t need now is players that aren’t quite good enough or players that will be good enough in a season or two. What we both will and need to do is to bring in more players of similar profile to Botman, Isak, Bruno and so on. Players that will have a positive impact from the off and be real quality now as well as growing to even better players as the season(s) go on. Right now we can’t afford to wait for players to become good enough or players that aren’t an improvement. To keep the likes of Isak and Bruno to name two then we really need to kick on this season and compete at the top (not title). Our best players won’t wait years. I think we will have a good season tbh. It’s just rumours for now, but the likes of Elanga doesn’t cut it. Quality before quantity is key. Quality players with great technical ability is what it takes to get to the next level, and I’m confident that is what we are looking at, even if it’s far from easy to get the right ones in. I don’t care if we “only” sign 2-3  more players, as long as they are genuine quality. This doesn’t mean that we have to pay 80m, we might still find a very good cheaper option that will surprise us and do extremely well to add to those 2-3 say £35-60m players. And no, I don’t think we will sign 3 60m players before anyone gets started, but you get the idea. I’m very excited about the new season, and this is even before potential new signings. Just having Tonali back who I reckon will have an amazing season will improve us a lot on last seasons Longstaff for example. Also, some luck with injuries wouldn’t go amiss. 

We should just focus on signing players akin to Isak, Bruno, Gordon, Tonali etc.  Even if its just one or 2 per year.  Well obviously have to make sure we have enough numbers but Id be happier with 2 at 70M each than 7 at 20M each.  Right winger is key, the other position could be any, maybe CM If we had another on the level of Bruno and Tonali turns out to be as good as his potential allows we may just have the best midfield in the league,

3 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

We should just focus on signing players akin to Isak, Bruno, Gordon, Tonali etc.  Even if its just one or 2 per year.  Well obviously have to make sure we have enough numbers but Id be happier with 2 at 70M each than 7 at 20M each.  Right winger is key, the other position could be any, maybe CM If we had another on the level of Bruno and Tonali turns out to be as good as his potential allows we may just have the best midfield in the league,

Whilst I'd agree in theory, I still feel like we have some 'floor raising' to do. It's great having a £50-£70m player in each position, the problem we still have is what happens when one has to drop out due injury? Our depth is gradually getting better, but it's still not at the level of other clubs in the top 6. 

3 hours ago, Stifler said:

Chris Wood is enough of an example to show that we should be investing in players to get in the 1st team and trickle down the talent into the squad, rather than buying players for the squad.

Are you seriously comparing a 20 year old Italian international to a washed up Chris Wood who we bought to weaken a relegation rival as no one else was available in January?

22 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Whilst I'd agree in theory, I still feel like we have some 'floor raising' to do. It's great having a £50-£70m player in each position, the problem we still have is what happens when one has to drop out due injury? Our depth is gradually getting better, but it's still not at the level of other clubs in the top 6. 

I mean that's literally what we've been doing already by signing the likes of Kelly.

RW is the one area of the pitch that is unimproved from the takeover. In terms on leap in ability it’s the biggest opportunity, they will get someone in who they think is top tier.

Doesnt necessarily mean costs £50m, just means someone they think can be an elite player. 

Other areas are possibly about depth and succession planning (GK, RCB, CM) but RW is about immediate impact on the pitch.