NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, gdm said:

If we don’t and have let minteh go then I’ll go swiftly from positive to very negative. Almiron starting next season will be bordering on criminal. 

Why would the default front 3 not be Gordon, Barnes and Isak? Why would Miggy get in before Gordon and yes, he absolutely can play RW.

Just now, McDog said:

Why would the default front 3 not be Gordon, Barnes and Isak? Why would Miggy get in before Gordon and yes, he absolutely can play RW.

Because history tells us Howe would rather he play left. Even when Barnes was fit Gordon rarely played right. 

Just now, gdm said:

Because history tells us Howe would rather he play left. Even when Barnes was fit Gordon rarely played right. 

I would agree, but new season and new outlook for the gaffer I would hope. 

25 minutes ago, gdm said:

If we don’t and have let minteh go then I’ll go swiftly from positive to very negative. Almiron starting next season will be bordering on criminal. 

If we didn’t sell Minteh we would’ve been deducted points, maybe 10.

6 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

If we didn’t sell Minteh we would’ve been deducted points, maybe 10.

I understand that. Just a sore one if we are once again starting with Almiron. It just kills our attacks down the right hand side time and time again

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

I understand that. Just a sore one if we are once again starting with Almiron. It just kills our attacks down the right hand side time and time again

It speaks volumes that no one wants him. He’s got 2 more years here and it looks likely that he’ll see out his contract.

Good post. We are making trade offs. 

I do think missing pre season is tough for the RW.  Isak still struggled with the intensity of Howe ball last season. His second pre season with Howe will do him the world of good. Likewise Hall suffered massively from the lack of pre season too. Moreso. Chelsea didn’t even take him on tour iirc. 

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Why Thursday?

Because there will be just over 2 weeks until the start of the season. It is barely enough time get players up to speed. Thursday was probably too specific, just that time is running out for incoming players to be involved in the first couple of games of the season. 

7 minutes ago, vexred said:

Because there will be just over 2 weeks until the start of the season. It is barely enough time get players up to speed. Thursday was probably too specific, just that time is running out for incoming players to be involved in the first couple of games of the season. 

In the grand scheme of things does it actually matter if any new players aren’t involved in the first couple of games?

They’ll be getting signed for 5 years not 5 games. Exactly as proven with Isak, getting the correct player is far more important than getting a player ‘now’.

2 hours ago, McDog said:

Dan Burn can play are RW too, but he's not particularly good at it.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Good post. We are making trade offs. 

I do think missing pre season is tough for the RW.  Isak still struggled with the intensity of Howe ball last season. His second pre season with Howe will do him the world of good. Likewise Hall suffered massively from the lack of pre season too. Moreso. Chelsea didn’t even take him on tour iirc. 

I think Barnes suffered a bit by not coming in until late on until after we sold ASM. RW will be similar. Can see Murphy starting first couple, or preferably Gordon right and Barnes left until the RW is up to speed. 

Just now, Conjo said:

Dan Burn can play are RW too, but he's not particularly good at it.

Gordon is good at it. He's played plenty there and with Tino backing him up I think he'd be fine.

25 minutes ago, McDog said:

Gordon is good at it. He's played plenty there and with Tino backing him up I think he'd be fine.

I don't think he's that good on the right, and limits him quite a lot not when not being able to cut inside like he does on the left. Better to play Almiron there imo.

I just don’t know how we’re in 2024, 3 years after the takeover and talking about (almost 30 year old) Jacob Murphy starting the first few games of the season on the right of a front 3. I don’t know if you can put it down to a lack of boldness, planning, ambition or whatever but in context of the clubs we’re trying to finish above its amateur hour. Same with Wilson still being 2nd choice striker. 

Just now, Conjo said:

I don't think he's that good on the right, and limits him quite a lot not when not being able to cut inside like he does on the left. Better to play Almiron there imo.

We agree I think he's a bit better on the left but he's fine on the right. I think he's better the Almiron on the right. That is my opinion. I like Miggy coming on later in a game so this doesn't seem dire to me.

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I just don’t know how we’re in 2024, 3 years after the takeover and talking about (almost 30 year old) Jacob Murphy starting the first few games of the season on the right of a front 3. I don’t know if you can put it down to a lack of boldness, planning, ambition or whatever but in context of the clubs we’re trying to finish above its amateur hour. Same with Wilson still being 2nd choice striker. 

I don't think this will be the case come the end of the transfer window, but you have to admit that Murphy's made himself useful.