NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Yes, challenging for top 5 is what we will do this season imo. 

What happened last season was an absolute freak occurrence and then we were still just pipped to Europe because City went on the piss instead of actually trying to win the FA cup. 

don’t get me wrong I’ll be gutted if we don’t sign anyone else but I Eddie is a magician and if you look at the spine of our team it’s really elite and befitting that. 

We were only 6 points off 5th last season. That's the away Head-To-Head with Spurs going the other way. A game where even Ange could see we were "goosed". The chances of that injury crisis happening again is very remote. That game came slap bang in the middle of a 5 week run where we were playing twice a week, too. 

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

That’s bold. Chelsea, Man Utd and Villa have strengthened and will sign at least one more before the end of the window, in Chelsea’s case possibly Osimhen who would be a game changer for them. Spurs have got a target man and another CB. West Ham and Brighton have spent loads to bolster quality and depth.

The likes of Wolves, Fulham, Bournemouth etc have spent and will all spend before the end of the month making games against them more challenging. Yet we’ll be up there in the Top 4 with no material signings, three CHs until Xmas and a complete gamble on a second striker whilst the current #9 nurses himself back from another random injury. Not seeing it myself, can I have some of your rose tinted glasses?

I think we can just look at the form table since Eddie took over, we are bonafide contenders and have been for awhile now. I think our style of play with a less congested fixture schedule will really shine again. 

im sure we all remember how rocky we were in December and January last season, i dont expect a repeat of that. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We were only 6 points off 5th last season. That's the away Head-To-Head with Spurs going the other way. A game where even Ange could see we were "goosed". The chances of that injury crisis happening again is very remote. That game came slap bang in the middle of a 5 week run where we were playing twice a week, too. 

Absolutely thanks for the concise data too! I’m not even the optimistic kind of fan, I just believe we have the quality to be challenging for the top 5. We’ve lost a third choice winger who never kicked a ball for us and our 7th choice cm. 

im desperate for signings but i dont see our squad as weaker. 

12 minutes ago, JigsawGoesToPieces said:

Us qualifing for the CL in 22/23 was also helped by Spurs and Chelsea having a mare finishing 8th and 12th.

The chances of one of the sky 6 having a season as poor as that is slim. 

As much ae id love us to be in the CL, until we have a better squad depth, fighting for Europa League is probably where we will be

There's one reason I never buy this and that's our points total. Whenever the top 4 usual suspects slip away and someone sneaks in or nearly sneaks in (eg Leicester winning, us in 11/12, Leicester's 2 5th place finishes) they have a lower points total.

When we got 4th we got it with a points total that 9 times out of 10 still gets you 4th in a season where the top 4 usual suspects are performing well.

I think there's a decent chance of one or more of our competitors falling off this year. Chelsea, Liverpool, Brighton, West Ham all have new managers, Man United are looking like they might have injury problems again too.

For me it's Man City, Arsenal, then 3rd to 9th is anyone's guess.

Edited by Kid Icarus

We can still have a great season in spite of the transfer window, you just know the window will be talked about through the season for every dropped point, impact on our finishing position etc.

59 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Which is a perfectly fair way to feel without being called a negative bed wetter 👍🏻

I’m pretty certain some people will start to say we’re only allowed to judge the window at the end of the season though. 

Half a season to a season. :pow:

4 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

We can still have a great season in spite of the transfer window, you just know the window will be talked about through the season for every dropped point, impact on our finishing position etc.

Pope and Willock staying fit and Tonali’s return could be huge. I think Kelly will prove to be an excellent acquisition too. 

Can you class Chelsea's transfer strategy as strengthening? They have so many players now they don't have enough seats in their changing room :lol:

Leicester fans also didn't overly like Maresca, and I can see that blowing up if they have a dodgy start.

Man United have strengthened, but their are still question marks of them, they don't necessarily have the fire power to match other teams, and again if they have a poor start, their manager will get sacked causing a Mini crisis.

Aston Villa are going to have the same issue we had last season, admittedly I class their manager as elite, but I wouldn't be surprised if they drop a few places due to the sheer amount of games they'll be playing.

Liverpool, they have a Klopp shaped hole they need to fill, and we've seen on numerous occasions how hard it is for someone to replace a club legend be that Moyes replacing Fergie, or Emery replacing Wenger, so their are question marks around them.

Tottenham had a really poor end to the season last year, and their tactics and high line got exposed by every half decent team the played, it doesn't seem like they've rectified that. Personally it also feels like Ange is match box ready to blow.

This isn't to say I do or don't think we'll finish top 5, more that there are a fair few clubs that also have questions that need answers, so it's quite hard to predict who finished were at this point. We definitely have a chance though.

Edited by 54

I just think even if we failed a top 6 finish this season, and need to sell all the purple patches, we should continue to have patience and let the club to reinvest our next generations. As long as the club is ambitious and challenging, we would be fine.

I expect us to finish 6th btw.

Edited by Zero

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Can you class Chelsea's transfer strategy as strengthening? They have so many players now they don't have enough seats in their changing room :lol:

Leicester fans also didn't overly like Maresca, and I can see that blowing up if they have a dodgy start.

Man United have strengthened, but their are still question marks of them, they don't necessarily have the fire power to match other teams, and again if they have a poor start, their manager will get sacked causing a Mini crisis.

Aston Villa are going to have the same issue we had last season, admittedly I class their manager as elite, but I wouldn't be surprised if they drop a few places due to the sheer amount of games they'll be playing.

Liverpool, they have a Klopp shaped hole they need to fill, and we've seen on numerous occasions how hard it is for someone to replace a club legend be that Moyes replacing Fergie, or Emery replacing Wenger, so their are question marks around them.

Tottenham has a really poor end to the season last year, and their tactics and high line got exposed by every half decent team the played, it doesn't seem like they've rectified that. Personally it also feels like Ange is match box ready to blow.

This isn't to say I do or don't think we'll finish top 5, more that there are a fair few clubs that also have questions that need answers, so it's quite hard to predict who finished were at this point. We definitely have a chance though.

Genuine question - does Klopp class as a legend at Liverpool?

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

Pope and Willock staying fit and Tonali’s return could be huge. I think Kelly will prove to be an excellent acquisition too. 

Barnes & Murphy missed 10-12 games each, too. For a spell at the same time so we were flogging Gordon & Almiron for a while. It might happen again but it'd be bloody unlucky.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Why wouldn’t he ?

They’re English football’s most successful club - and Klopp’s trophy haul with them can be counted on one hand.

He’d be a legend on Tyneside - but he’s not a Ferguson or a Wenger, nor is he a Shankly or a Paisley

The last minute psr deadline weekend dealings and the impact that could have had on shows were willing to gamble to the last minute to get what we want.  

Hopefully the same applies to the real transfer deadline and we do eventually see some movement.  

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They’re English football’s most successful club - and Klopp’s trophy haul with them can be counted on one hand.

He’d be a legend on Tyneside - but he’s not a Ferguson or a Wenger, nor is he a Shankly or a Paisley

Guess it's like the whole Andy Murray thing. He's a British legend who would have won loads more in any other era.

Klopp's the same with Liverpool imo. Just unlucky to come across the best team of the last 20 years. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The league was nowhere near as competitive when either Liverpool had their run or Man Utd from the 90’s on.

Which nullifies your point. The fact they won anything while City have bought and broken rules to dominate strengthens his case in my opinion.

I grew to detest him but I can’t deny that he’s one of the best managers the league has ever had.

Yeah. Klopp came across as a massive prick by the end. But his points hauls and ability to regularly compete on all fronts was very impressive. 

Imagine that 5-6 year run or whatever it was when City and them were always battling it out right until the end of the season. Would have been boring as fuck and City walking it every year by 15-20 points or more. 

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

There are very few clubs who would have a manager win the League title and the Champions League and not qualify as a club legend. 

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

To be honest, I think that's more down to running into the City juggernaut than anything else. And with these charges against them it could be that this time period in PL football will always come with an *. Don't get me wrong, he became a bigger cunt the longer he was there, but I do think he count's as a legend for them. 

15 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They're only that because of the two managers you mentioned, and that's in their entire history tbf. Anyone that wins the Champions League and Premier League is going to be a legend, especially after a 20 or 30 odd year wait. They see Rafa as a legend as well.

Edited by Kid Icarus

I think we’re screwed in terms of challenging for Europe one of 3 or 4 players gets an injury of a few months. Schar especially, but also Bruno, Pope and Isak. It’s a huge gamble not getting a CB imo, as I think not qualifying for Europe pretty much guarantees we lose Isak, Bruno and Gordon next year, and it’s a total rebuild.