NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I keep seeing that we can’t possibly do worse than last year because we won’t have the same injuries. Reality is a bad bruno, Isak or pope injury and we are fucked. We don’t have the quality in depth 

The general media predictions have been shocking, like.

I'd expect us to be 4th/5th even if it's just Guehi coming in - no way do Villa maintain last season, there are new Liverpool/Chelsea managers + ten Hag still exists.

genuinely shocked at the amount of people saying Spurs will get top 4. Ange can only play one way and it’ll get found it. They’ve made decent signings but Son looks shadow of the player that linked up with Kane for fun 

12 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

I'd expect us to be 4th/5th even if it's just Guehi coming in - no way do Villa maintain last season, there are new Liverpool/Chelsea managers + ten Hag still exists.

New managers coming doesn't fully guarantee that there'll be a significant drop off from the clubs around us though. And it remains to be seen how Villa cope with the CL, they have a manager used to competing in European competitions.

I think people/pundits have seen clubs expected to be around us; Chelsea, Man Utd, West Ham, Villa, Spurs all make signings that improve their first 11 which is something that we are yet to do with 10 days of the window left. And the persisting issues in our squad; that we are going into 2024-25, 3 years into the takeover and and our two options on the right are an almost 30 year old Jacob Murphy and a 30 year old Almirón; I don't know whether that can be put down to a lack of boldness, ruthlessness or planning. Especially given the sides that we want to be competing with. Same with Wilson still being here.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Think 1 and 2 are sewn up.

After that anything from 3rd to 9th is pretty much in the air tbh. Several clubs have several issues whether it be a new manager or a strong squad but we do look like we're no stronger than we were 5 months ago. There's no reason why we can't give it a go a finish 4th or 5th but brining in Orsula won't frighten many - as it stands we're no stronger than the team that finished 7th.

I like the fact we're being written off but there's legit reasons why we're being written off too.  

3 hours ago, STM said:

Makes me wonder if we did have an interest in Bowen but West Ham outpriced us. If we are prepared to put 65m+ on a player, Bowen makes a lot more sense.

Bowen turns 28 soon, no way we would be spending that kind of money without guaranteed resale value.

Unpopular opinion: the club willing to bid $60 for Olise and $65m for Guehi, and then not signing anyone that is not them is actually a good sign.

It hand they are being disciplined. They have a plan and they know what they are trying to do.

The last thing I want from the club is to get someone because there are a bunch of crying bed wetters clamoring for any signing. 

If they have a second choice then great. But I don't want them just signing Chiesa (JFC please stop) or some other stop gag CB just because "it's a disaster if we don't sign anyone".

I'm totally satisfied if they don't sign anyone and come back in January. And I'll be ecstatic if they do sign someone they rate in this window. But the bitching about lack of signings is unbearable. 

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

Bowen turns 28 soon, no way we would be spending that kind of money without guaranteed resale value.

Should be Kudus we should be targeting he is real quality 

Edited by gdm

9 minutes ago, midds said:

as it stands we're no stronger than the team that finished 7th.

But we are stronger than the team that finished 4th in 22/23.

I've seen some smart people mention us right after Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool and that's how I see it myself. If we can stay relatively fit for the season I'll be disappointed if we don't finish at least close to 4th or 5th and that final CL spot. Lack of Europe is a real edge on the league standings although you always want to be there. 

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

I've seen some smart people mention us right after Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool and that's how I see it myself. If we can stay relatively fit for the season I'll be disappointed if we don't finish at least close to 4th or 5th and that final CL spot. Lack of Europe is a real edge on the league standings although you always want to be there. 

We are but so are other clubs stronger than they were in 22/23 particular spurs, Villa, Liverpool and Chelsea 

I don’t understand the logic of posts saying we’re no better than last season - of course we are. Tonali’s back and we don’t have 13 players injured for 2 months. 

We don’t lack quality or even now (in my view) depth - we lack momentum because last season was a rotter, we’re not in Europe and we haven’t made a big news signing.

Im happy for us to be underestimated by the usual rent-a-bleat former players who wouldn’t know adequate subject matter expertise if it teabagged them live on air. 

7 minutes ago, Pata said:

The teams that finished around us then are also stronger than their respective teams in 22-23. I'd love to think we're shoe-ins for top 6 as it stands right now but without a CB and/or RW coming in within the next 10-11 days I can't see us as such. Until then I just can't be confident about it and understand why others not connected to NUFC aren't.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Personnel wise we are better than last season for certain. Tonali was a very big miss and Kelly looks a good upgrade ion Lascelles.

The question in fact lies on Howe. People assuming with a fresh team we can play like THAT season again hence we can finish top 4. That’s a big assumption, and also that’s why so many people are frustrated by the performance against Soton - we still looks like the team at the end of last season

3 minutes ago, Zero said:

The question in fact lies on Howe. People assuming with a fresh team we can play like THAT season again hence we can finish top 4. That’s a big assumption, and also that’s why so many people are frustrated by the performance against Soton - we still looks like the team at the end of last season

ah-shit-here-we-go-again-ah-shit.gif

56 minutes ago, gdm said:

I keep seeing that we can’t possibly do worse than last year because we won’t have the same injuries. Reality is a bad bruno, Isak or pope injury and we are fucked. We don’t have the quality in depth 

Liverpool don’t and haven’t had reasonable replacements for Salah, Van Dijk, or Alisson. When you have stars it’s not really feasible to have like for like replacements.

And the other part is that’s just a reality of our situation. We could have paid £30m each for two strikers; instead we went big on Isak. 

For a variety of reasons we’ve become a bit imbalanced in terms of where we’ve invested / have depth, but for the most part this problem is largely a function of the glass ceiling that’s in place.

Terrible window unless something magical happens the next ten days. 
mandag even the bringing players in with no time to gel is not optimal for a club aiming for the top. 

The fact that Amanda and Mehrdad left so suddenly doesn’t sit right. 

6 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

Ten Hag the bloke who’s won 2 trophies think he will prove a lot wrong this season.

7 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

Liverpool squad is still way better than us. City, Arsenal, Liverpool top 3. After that it is close, but can we beat all of those others and be 4th? I would say no we cannot without new signings.

6 hours ago, Pata said:

ah-shit-here-we-go-again-ah-shit.gif

It could be a compliment to Howe, if you think our team is not good enough for a top 6 finish. I am just pointing out that a lot of people here still think we should play like the top 4 season, and use that as a benchmark for predicting this years results 

7 hours ago, gdm said:

genuinely shocked at the amount of people saying Spurs will get top 4. Ange can only play one way and it’ll get found it. They’ve made decent signings but Son looks shadow of the player that linked up with Kane for fun 

Hasn’t proved he can organise a defence has he. I like the predictions, gives us plenty chance to go under the radar and prove people wrong at the same time.