NUFC Transfer Rumours

Time will tell but genuinely feel like we have fallen behind the clubs around us in this window making the return to Europe harder. West ham Spurs Villa Chelsea all look to have more squad depth. Can argue Brighton have bridged the gap as well.

Edited by NUFC91

Just now, NUFC91 said:

Time will tell but genuinely feel like we have fallen behind the clubs around us in this window making the return to Europe harder. West ham Spurs Villa Chelsea all look to have more squad depth. Can argue Brighton habe bridged the gap as well.

Versus last season (so Hall doesn't count), we've lost Anderson, Ritchie, Dummett and Minteh.

We've brought in Kelly and Osula. I'm assuming Vlachodimos won't play for us, and treating Ruddy the same as Karius.

I'd argue that even if other clubs hadn't changed their squads at all, we've weakened slightly so far. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

The rumour is Disasi as back up on loan. I’d imagine that is a relatively easy deal to do so they will wait as long as possible for Guehi. 

Didn't Disasi have a good reputation and was highly thought of before Chelsea got their stank all over him?

Think we where after him at one point last summer too, so would make sense.

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

Didn't Disasi have a good reputation and was highly thought of before Chelsea got their stank all over him?

Think we where after him at one point last summer too, so would make sense.

Apparently we scouted him heavily but decided against him last summer. I’d be more than happy to take him on loan, preferably with an option instead of obligation to buy.

2 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Time will tell but genuinely feel like we have fallen behind the clubs around us in this window making the return to Europe harder. West ham Spurs Villa Chelsea all look to have more squad depth. Can argue Brighton have bridged the gap as well.

Agreed, not certain as the window is still open, but we could have really cemented ourselves as the main threat behind Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal 

Would always be hard as Chelsea, Man U and Tottenham have deeper squads, but with a quality RW, CB and decent back up keeper. I reckon we'd be right up there

Now, we are relying on Howe getting every ounce out of each player again, many who aren't at the required level 

8 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

Versus last season (so Hall doesn't count), we've lost Anderson, Ritchie, Dummett and Minteh.

We've brought in Kelly and Osula. I'm assuming Vlachodimos won't play for us, and treating Ruddy the same as Karius.

I'd argue that even if other clubs hadn't changed their squads at all, we've weakened slightly so far. 

So we've lost our (at best) 5th choice CM, two players who initiated meltdowns whenever they were announced in the starting XI and a youngster (admittedly a talented one) who's never played for us?

Osula is an unknown quantity but you'd hope is a better 3rd CF than nobody at all (which is what we had last year) and Kelly is clearly an upgrade on Dummett.

14 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

We didn’t have Minteh last season.

If we get lucky with injuries/suspensions, we won't miss Anderson. Tonali coming back is the big factor here, but I'm trying to deal with this from a transfer perspective and not a squad strength perspective. But he's a good player and sometimes offered us a different dimension when needing to change a game.

I'd compare Osula and Minteh, since we had neither of them last season. I think I'd prefer to have kept Minteh than have Osula, but time will tell.

Ritchie and Dummett are what they are, and possibly with no Champions League/Europe, neither would have been required to appear this season.

So we have Kelly who's an upgrade on Dummett, and Osula who's an upgrade on not having Wilson available half the season, but unsure whether he's an upgrade on what Minteh might have offered us this season.

There's different ways of looking at it, admittedly, but as it stands it's not looking like a strengthening in the transfer window. Still time to change that.

I’m not expecting us to make any further signings this late.

I still think we have enough to have a good season (top 6). Provided we don’t pick up too many injuries, and with Botman returning towards the end of the year, perhaps we can add a couple in January.

No idea what’s gone on this summer, and it’s galling to have to lose Minteh and Anderson, who’ve both had good starts at their new clubs.

The only real positive is we’ve kept our “Crown Jewels”. 

25 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

We're also facing half the season without our first choice centre back and his backup. Avoiding another injury crisis and hopefully Tonali will be our only salvation in terms of improvement.

Edited by Turnbull2000

2 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

If we get lucky with injuries/suspensions, we won't miss Anderson. Tonali coming back is the big factor here, but I'm trying to deal with this from a transfer perspective and not a squad strength perspective. But he's a good player and sometimes offered us a different dimension when needing to change a game.

I'd compare Osula and Minteh, since we had neither of them last season. I think I'd prefer to have kept Minteh than have Osula, but time will tell.

Ritchie and Dummett are what they are, and possibly with no Champions League/Europe, neither would have been required to appear this season.

So we have Kelly who's an upgrade on Dummett, and Osula who's an upgrade on not having Wilson available half the season, but unsure whether he's an upgrade on what Minteh might have offered us this season.

There's different ways of looking at it, admittedly, but as it stands it's not looking like a strengthening in the transfer window. Still time to change that.

I can’t see how we could miss Anderson unless we have 3+ midfield injuries at the same time. 

We’ve definitely weakened overall, Anderson was improving, useful and trusted as an option, Minteh would be pushing for a start later in the season. Kelly is a good squad option, as is Osula but neither are starters. Ruddy and Vlad im not sure are even better than Karius. Hall we already had.

So far we have definitely weakened our options. I don’t like Man Us buys but all 5 of them you could see starting in their best XI. Ditto Brighton and West Ham. We have a good XI but defo need two starters, one at RW for sure

2 minutes ago, NUFC_Chris said:

I would add I don’t think the board can expect anything more from Howe than 7th, given pretty much every other club around us has strengthened in some way. 

I don’t believe in expectations anyway, but we can definitely finish higher than 7th if we don’t have another injury crisis. 

With the schedule and squad we have now, we shouldn’t be going into any games with the hopelessness we had at times last season. 

People are really forgetting how desperate our situation was. 

I’m at an absolute loss as to why people are comparing last season’s squad to this season’s squad and involving Minteh in the conversation?

We didn’t have him last season, we haven’t got him this season, so for comparison purposes, he’s an irrelevance.

Just now, The Prophet said:

At this point it's basically Kelly and Osula in for Anderson, so more or less as you were.

Agreed. But with Lascelles and Botman crocked until the new year and Callum Wilson’s body basically deteriorating to be about as robust as Mr Glass.

Samuel L Jackson Villain GIF by Glass

9 minutes ago, NUFC_Chris said:

I would add I don’t think the board can expect anything more from Howe than 7th, given pretty much every other club around us has strengthened in some way. 

If we don’t qualify for Europe then I will be amazed if Howe isn’t sacked.