NUFC Transfer Rumours

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I don't think the issue is the ability of our players at all. We've simply got nobody in the same postcode as Isak (like what Anderson did on Friday night). The frustration is how we also seemingly have a massive gap at the other end of the pitch too, leaving mavericks like Palmer to just wander around with nobody anywhere near him.

I want us to play with a number 10 but our transfer strategy means there's no obvious candidate for who plays ther

Gordon is probably the best bet. Miggy played there when we first signed him under Rafa but I don't particularly want to see him there. Tonali or one of the Joee possibly?

Isak would be great there in my opinion but we've got a Danish lad who isn't trusted to play more than 5 mins and Wilson who has a loyalty card at the RVI so we have to play Isak up front

It's such a mess

14 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I am turning, this summer, sell some of the stars, sell some of the ones who should have been moved on and build a proper squad. 

I'm not saying this is a bad idea or anything, but won't it probably lead to the same or lower league position than we're getting now?

I mean, Brighton are usually held up as a great example but they don't finish particularly high in the table and they're not really raising their level every season. They're more ticking over as a 'smart but not particularly successful' club. 

I'm not sure what the correct answer is but there's also a reason that selling your best players has historically been considered bad. Admittedly in a world without PSR, but you know what I'm saying. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

15 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I am turning, this summer, sell some of the stars, sell some of the ones who should have been moved on and build a proper squad. 

The amount on last year or 2 years of their deal should be enough of a revamp albeit may need a "purple" to fund the replacements. It's so pivotal we look to revamp intelligently we really need to consider not just like for like I want more variety coming in to mix it up a player who can play DM a player who is comfortable as a 10 etc just to switch it up going from a back 4 to a back 5 is just not working as the only plan B.

9 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'm not saying this is a bad idea or anything, but won't it probably lead to the same or lower league position than we're getting now?

I mean, Brighton are usually held up as a great example but they don't finish particularly high in the table and they're not really raising their level every season. They're more ticking over as a 'smart but not particularly successful' club. 

I'm not sure what the correct answer is but there's also a reason that selling your best players has historically been considered bad. Admittedly in a world without PSR, but you know what I'm saying. 

Yeah we aren't going to get better by selling our best players. The only reason we'll end up doing it is because we can't sell our shit ones.

We all want the shit ones gone, but either nobody wants them or they won't bring in much money. Then we might have to sell the best players in order to bring in more players somewhere in-between the two skill levels, and have a evenly average squad. 

PSR man, so much for the days when you could keep your quality players and build on it. Started wondering these last few weeks how we'll ever really progress.

1 hour ago, nufcjmc said:

The amount on last year or 2 years of their deal should be enough of a revamp albeit may need a "purple" to fund the replacements. It's so pivotal we look to revamp intelligently we really need to consider not just like for like I want more variety coming in to mix it up a player who can play DM a player who is comfortable as a 10 etc just to switch it up going from a back 4 to a back 5 is just not working as the only plan B.

I think that's on Howe and he's pushed us in that direction when it comes to recruitment.

Just don’t know anymore. It’s all a bit deflating. Not having a win in some time hasn’t helped the mind either. Our journey from the takeover to now has been remarkable, but maybe we do need to push into the next stage of the evolution. And maybe we’re going to have to make decisions on players / manager that would otherwise be unthinkable. I don’t know the answer. 

17 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Just don’t know anymore. It’s all a bit deflating. Not having a win in some time hasn’t helped the mind either. Our journey from the takeover to now has been remarkable, but maybe we do need to push into the next stage of the evolution. And maybe we’re going to have to make decisions on players / manager that would otherwise be unthinkable. I don’t know the answer. 

It's looking like we have to hit the reset button. I don't Envy Paul Mitchell and his position becaus he's got a lot of work to do and he's going to be rather unpopular me thinks. 

As a fan base we've come to expect big players being signed for big money but ffp makes doing that extremely difficult. We have to be a lot more flexible in terms of comings and goings because when you take a step back and look at our square we have a lot of players who aren't worth much who's contracts will be expiring. We can't go marquee to replace them all. 

32 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It's looking like we have to hit the reset button. I don't Envy Paul Mitchell and his position becaus he's got a lot of work to do and he's going to be rather unpopular me thinks. 

As a fan base we've come to expect big players being signed for big money but ffp makes doing that extremely difficult. We have to be a lot more flexible in terms of comings and goings because when you take a step back and look at our square we have a lot of players who aren't worth much who's contracts will be expiring. We can't go marquee to replace them all. 

the whole PSR thing is just really shit. Really zaps the fun out football. 

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Aye it was always going to slow out progress that's for sure but we've also managed it extremely poorly. 

4 hours ago, Kanji said:

Also our total inability to do anything about it, we just go along with these shit rules and don't seem to want to push on, it's almost Ashley levels of mediocrity. Happy to be in the league.

4 minutes ago, Ben said:

Also our total inability to do anything about it, we just go along with these shit rules and don't seem to want to push on, it's almost Ashley levels of mediocrity. Happy to be in the league.

Difference this time is that it really does feel like we're biding our time, waiting for that sliding doors moment to present itself, whether that be in the form of a rule change or what, I don't know. But we're definitely not forcing it. I get where you're coming from but It's nowhere near Ashley levels, let's be honest.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

6 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Difference this time is that it really does feel like we're biding our time, waiting for that sliding doors moment to present itself, whether that be in the form of a rule change or what, I don't know. But we're definitely not forcing it. I get where you're coming from but It's nowhere near Ashley levels, let's be honest.

Fair point, hopefully by January we'll see a stadium announcement and some serious investment in the team.

4 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Aye it was always going to slow out progress that's for sure but we've also managed it extremely poorly. 

I wonder where are the guys that once said “trust the management, we don’t need to care” “how dare you question the management who has done a marvellous job”

26 minutes ago, Ben said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂

9 hours ago, Kanji said:

I think there’ll be a summer reboot and im alright with that to be honest. 

Thinking about the squad, and if we overhauled it and slimmed it down, this is what I would like to see it as. The goalkeeping situation is a mess though, as in theory absolutely none of them are required :D But going to need to keep at least one of them. So something like this:

New 1st GK / Youth GK / Vlach

Tino / New youth RB

Schar (One year extension if he accepts that), New 1st CB, Botman, Burn, New youth CB

Hall / Kelly (shudders, but what can you do on those wages)

Bruno / Tonali / Miley / Joelinton / Willock / New CM (that can play either advanced or deep, depending on where we see Miley long term position)

Barnes / Gordon / Sanusi

New 1st Choice RW / New youth RW

Isak / Osula 

25 squad.

Pope / Dub / Trip / Lascelles / Krafth / Targett / Longstaff / Wilson / Almiron / Murphy all gone. Thanks for what they’ve done, but absolutely none of them are needed in a top 10 club, especially with the wages they’ll be on where younger players with potential can take their minutes. That’s what I’d be expecting Mitchell to be viewing the team as, as the younger buys are your future sales, not keeping hold of aging players.

3 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Thinking about the squad, and if we overhauled it and slimmed it down, this is what I would like to see it as. The goalkeeping situation is a mess though, as in theory absolutely none of them are required :D But going to need to keep at least one of them. So something like this:

New 1st GK / Youth GK / Vlach

Tino / New youth RB

Schar (One year extension if he accepts that), New 1st CB, Botman, Burn, New youth CB

Hall / Kelly (shudders, but what can you do on those wages)

Bruno / Tonali / Miley / Joelinton / Willock / New CM (that can play either advanced or deep, depending on where we see Miley long term position)

Barnes / Gordon / Sanusi

New 1st Choice RW / New youth RW

Isak / Osula 

25 squad.

Pope / Dub / Trip / Lascelles / Krafth / Targett / Longstaff / Wilson / Almiron / Murphy all gone. Thanks for what they’ve done, but absolutely none of them are needed in a top 10 club, especially with the wages they’ll be on where younger players with potential can take their minutes. That’s what I’d be expecting Mitchell to be viewing the team as, as the younger buys are your future sales, not keeping hold of aging players.

We absolutely need an Isak backup, and Osula is not it. Who is out there who can replace Wilson’s goals and threat off the bench? 

5 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

We absolutely need an Isak backup, and Osula is not it. Who is out there who can replace Wilson’s goals and threat off the bench? 

Would say, it’s with a caveat that if we are to improve as a side with the ball, then one isn’t needed next season. As the RW can be a goal threat, and Gordon can fill up top in emergencies, and you’ve got to trust Osula can play the odd game too.

Isak back up is someone expensive with little gain. Young raw striker would be the option, but then that’s the whole point of Osula? Unless we accept he’s off on loan and hope to get money back for him in 2026. 

IMO, if we don’t have Europe again, we need to have a younger squad where money isn’t tied up in wages for scrap minutes across 38 league games. The current core of 23-26 year olds then progress into the experienced group, and you have the 19-22 year olds then move into that age above where value is high. Got to keep the squad moving like that. 

Burn / Schar / Joelinton / Bruno you expect to be the current leadership group if the ones left like I said. And you faze more into that as ones leave. 

6 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Agreed. If you look at the £420m we've spent since the takeover, could that have been used better, to give us a more flexible, balanced squad?

1 hour ago, kingxlnc said:

Osula needs a loan to the Championship, it might take two season long loans to see if he’s going to be good enough.

1 minute ago, Novocastrian said:

Osula needs a loan to the Championship, it might take two season long loans to see if he’s going to be good enough.

Bringing on a player @ 88 mins how can we even tell how good he is