NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

How can the premier league bring in a rule that dictates how clubs outside of their jurisdiction manage their squads? I get that its incoming loans but other clubs are having restrictions placed on where they can place their assets which feels wrong.

Its basically something that can only be in place for January and would be thrown out of court if challenged

19 minutes ago, BlazeT44 said:

Not that I'm arsed either way, but RE: the whole thing about the league vetoing our supposed move for Neves...

Didn't Man City 'get away' with the exact same thing with Frank Lampard from NY... Or am I making this up? :lol:

Difference is Lampard signed 8 months before their season started and then extended to cover the full PL season, there was some confusion as to whether he even signed for MLS or he signed a short term deal direct with City. Either way its a very different situation to us loaning a bloke from our owners and not paying their huge wages in full as a favour.

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Thing is if it wasn't for FFP, and then restrictions on 'fair market value' sponsorships, we wouldn't even be considering workarounds like loaning from other PIF clubs. Each thing leads to another. 

I get that there has to be some restrictions but it is mad that you have a governing body basically preventing private entities from investing their cash in their product. There should be a lot more scope within FFP for the costs to be offset over a longer period of time to allow initial investment. Man City and Chelsea were able to skip the queue and set themselves up nicely with valuable squads, feeder clubs and great academies before FFP was ever even a thing. This gives them such leeway to spend now in the age of FFP. It's systemically unfair.

I would actually support a salary cap more than I would the current restrictions on player asset spending. 

Not only that but they are doing it to protect others who have got where they are by doing exactly that (when I say they I mean themselves as its certain clubs that hold the power).

Just now, Fezzle said:

Difference is Lampard signed 8 months before their season started and then extended to cover the full PL season, there was some confusion as to whether he even signed for MLS or he signed a short term deal direct with City. Either way its a very different situation to us loaning a bloke from our owners and not paying their huge wages in full as a favour.

Where was it mentioned we wouldn't pay the wages ?

1 minute ago, madras said:

Big motivator ? Without our takeover these rules would not even be considered as they massively benefit certain clubs.

It's second guessing other people's motivations, I think it is almost certainly down to us but football fans are conspiratorial creatures and what do I know.

It's a sound rule for football as a whole and we can still be successful regardless, that's pretty much all there is to it for me.

3 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Where was it mentioned we wouldnt pay any? Theres zero chance we will be paying Neves £300k or whatever hes on though

For 6months with no fee ? Still less than we were considering for Lingaard.

The loan system has been fucked and abused for years, this is just the latest symptom. All it does is encourage player hoarding for those that can afford it. It need to be scrapped for any player you have paid a transfer fee for and reserved for academy/u21 player development.

At a minimum all players should have a loan clause in there contract which any club can trigger when the player is available for loan. It would be a percentage of the players remaining contract and paid into a central game development pool. Clubs shouldn’t be able to have preferred or affiliated clubs eg Ferguson loaning to Peterborough and then recalling the players when his son got sacked

Edited by geordie_b

Just now, madras said:

For 6months with no fee ? Still less than we were considering for Lingaard.

[emoji38] No chance we were going to pay that fee though. Fair enough you think we would shatter our wage budget, i honestly cant see it and its totally irrelevant given it may get rightly blocked

I’m not convinced we want anyone from Saudi anyway. 

And as we said in the summer, KSA will not prioritise us over the success of their own league when they’ve spent billions getting players there.  

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

3 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

[emoji38] No chance we were going to pay that fee though. Fair enough you think we would shatter our wage budget, i honestly cant see it and its totally irrelevant given it may get rightly blocked

I wouldn't have been surprised if we'd have gone for a bit less. Remember thus was before Ashworth etc when we were scrabbling round with people who didn't really know the workings of football transfers.

1 minute ago, madras said:

I wouldn't have been surprised if we'd have gone for a bit less. Remember thus was before Ashworth etc when we were scrabbling round with people who didn't really know the workings of football transfers.

We were never giving them £10m+ just for staying up on top of a loan fee like, thankfully they knew enough to walk away from that awful deal

25 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Thanks for the explanation. Couldn't remember the deal with Lampard and if it was similar :lol:

Don't think we should go for Neves and give the media/other clubs an easy out. 

I'd laugh hard if we're just shaking the tree and laughing, as others suggested.

Cant see us challenging this rule change but we'll add it to the file alongside all the other stupid changes since the takeover.

You pick the battles you really want to win.

Something else will be proposed that really hurts and pissed off NUFC/PIF and then we'll wheel out the big legal guns and smash the fucking corrupt PL cartel. This new change id not it, but it will come!

35 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Thing is if it wasn't for FFP, and then restrictions on 'fair market value' sponsorships, we wouldn't even be considering workarounds like loaning from other PIF clubs. Each thing leads to another. 

I get that there has to be some restrictions but it is mad that you have a governing body basically preventing private entities from investing their cash in their product. There should be a lot more scope within FFP for the costs to be offset over a longer period of time to allow initial investment. Man City and Chelsea were able to skip the queue and set themselves up nicely with valuable squads, feeder clubs and great academies before FFP was ever even a thing. This gives them such leeway to spend now in the age of FFP. It's systemically unfair.

I would actually support a salary cap more than I would the current restrictions on player asset spending. 

Salary caps will be linked to clubs incomes and we all know who benefits from that one.

32 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m not convinced we want anyone from Saudi anyway. 

And as we said in the summer, KSA will not prioritise us over the success of their own league when they’ve spent billions getting players there.  

Toally agree. As good as Neves is as a player, I'm sure there are other targets that Ashworth and co have been keeping tabs on.

Let's not give the other clubs ammunition for slagging either us, or our ownership off. 

24 minutes ago, BlazeT44 said:

Thanks for the explanation. Couldn't remember the deal with Lampard and if it was similar :lol:

Don't think we should go for Neves and give the media/other clubs an easy out. 

I'd laugh hard if we're just shaking the tree and laughing, as others suggested.

Definitely think there is an element of 3D chess with this tbh, highly doubt Ashworth would be explicitly and publicly calling out our intentions if we were actually going to persue a sweetheart deal from one of the other PIF owned clubs.

If this is the case and such deals were never in our planning then there is an argument to be made that this ruling will more negatively impact some of our direct rivals who are further down the journey of leveraging relationships with other clubs.

Edited by Dandy Man

Phillips is a no brainer for me. He fits Eddie's style, where as he's not the technical player Pep likes. He can also play 6 or 8, which is the versatility we look for.

Give him a few weeks at Newcastle and he'd be an absolute asset to us.

52 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

We were never giving them £10m+ just for staying up on top of a loan fee like, thankfully they knew enough to walk away from that awful deal

That'd why I said  bit less. Wouldn't have been surprised if we'd stumped up 6 or 7. Different club then.