NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

43 minutes ago, Shak said:

At this point I'd actually really like to see us sign Phillips on loan just to see how our midfield looks with a more traditional DM sitting in front of the defense.

Allow us to be a bit more aggressive pushing both our full backs forward in attack, no more of the whole Burn becoming a LCB when we're in possession thing.

Also a chance to see how Bruno looks as a #8, operating further up the field. I have doubts about his athleticism for the role but also think there's the potential for him to give us some more ability on the ball in the final third so I'd really like to see it for a bit.

If it all looks good then bring in a true DM in summer, be it Phillips or someone else.

If not, Bruno goes back there to start next season.

More than anything else, I'd like to see Phillips on loan just to see if it makes any difference when teams break on us when we lose possession. Bruno himself is very good at pressing himself, but if he gets caught up the pitch and they break, he's not the quickest so he struggles to get back. A genuine DM might read the game better from a defensive POV in the first place and be less likely to get caught upfield.

8 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It is when we haven’t got any money to spend 

They said this every window then pow fiddy mil dropped in all windows, lie lie lie again (not a bad thing imho) i think we will spend but not on who we are expecting eg the maddison situ

I think phillips is a smoke screen like maddison, and we will pull someone out of left field who ends up amazing

I think we have more ffp wiggle room than we are letting on for obv reasons (after ashley) and given what other clubs are doing without cl football

17 minutes ago, danny said:

They said this every window then pow fiddy mil dropped in all windows, lie lie lie again (not a bad thing imho) i think we will spend but not on who we are expecting eg the maddison situ

I think phillips is a smoke screen like maddison, and we will pull someone out of left field who ends up amazing

I think we have more ffp wiggle room than we are letting on for obv reasons (after ashley) and given what other clubs are doing without cl football

I’m not sure Maddison was a smokescreen tbh, I think he chose spurs over us.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Could very well be right. Not sure Howe likes your typical creative players though. I hope he does, because we need it to get to the next level. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Im of the opionion that we fawned over him and was really after barnes, did he move to spurs before or after we signed barnes? i honestly cant remember

I’ve always been pro-Phillips and even more so now. Get him here next week and in the squad for the derby. Then he gets a few weeks to train (I’m assuming he wouldn’t be able to play City) and should give us a solid option starting with Villa.

33 minutes ago, danny said:

Im of the opionion that we fawned over him and was really after barnes, did he move to spurs before or after we signed barnes? i honestly cant remember

Before, it was quite early in the window they got Maddison.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

I don't think we even put in a bid - which is a shame as I think he'd have been perfect for us.  Maddison --->Iask just would have been :giggs:

Edited by duo

15 minutes ago, huss9 said:

think maddison to spurs was an open secret within the england squad.

Definitely felt like he wasn't going anywhere else. Barnes was the second best option from the relegated squad and we got him so I'm not too upset, freak injury aside.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

More a ten, similar to Cole Palmer maybe ? Seeming injury prone though.

Ability wise, he’s the exact type of profile we should be targeting imo.

Yeah thought so. I'm guessing he could play the joe/Willock role although that doesn't particularly address key issues