NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Sesko, Hincapie and Scalvini/Diomande would be my 3 big signings this summer if we could stretch to it.

Think the back line needs seriously upgraded and we won’t have funds to strengthen every area required.

Tonali and Joelinton hopefully back to strengthen midfield and still don’t think we’ve got the best out of Isak.

I would start utilising Isak on the left, or in a 4-2-3-1 to get the best out of him and signing Sesko would give us that option.

Would love a keeper and another creative midfielder/wide right attacker, but think defence is now priority unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Sesko, Hincapie and Scalvini/Diomande would be my 3 big signings this summer if we could stretch to it.

Think the back line needs seriously upgraded and we won’t have funds to strengthen every area required.

Tonali and Joelinton hopefully back to strengthen midfield and still don’t think we’ve got the best out of Isak.

I would start utilising Isak on the left, or in a 4-2-3-1 to get the best out of him and signing Sesko would give us that option.

Would love a keeper and another creative midfielder/wide right attacker, but think defence is now priority unfortunately.

We need a RW urgently, can’t start next season with miggy as our first choice.

8 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

We need a RW urgently, can’t start next season with miggy as our first choice.

Which shows the folly of signing Barnes, i would move Gordon to the right and utilise Isak,Anderson and Barnes on the left. The unknown is also Minteh if he impresses in pre-season.

6 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Which shows the folly of signing Barnes, i would move Gordon to the right and utilise Isak,Anderson and Barnes on the left. The unknown is also Minteh if he impresses in pre-season.

I really like Barnes as a player but I agree it was odd to sign another LW when RW urgently needed upgrading. 

It’s time to become good sellers to create the wiggle room to improve more areas. Sometimes we need to sell the player we don’t want to sell. Not saying Bruno or Isak. We just can’t be sentimental and live in the past.

The club don’t really do sentimental. They’ve been very clear about the need to trade. That said we’re not going to flip Isak anytime soon unless we get an absolutely astronomical fee. That’s one transfer that doesn’t make sense right now.

I think the plan this summer will be huge clear out of the lesser first team players (Miggy, Wilson, Murphy, Longstaff, Dubs etc.), a shock departure (one of Trippier, Joelinton, Schar, Willock) and then we’ll wait on Bruno. I’m certain they’ll want to keep the spine of the team, but if we get £100m he’ll be on his bike.

Wouldn’t surprise us to see us line up looking something like this next year (injuries permitting)

Pope

New LB - Botman - New CB - Tino

Tonali - Bruno - New CM

Gordon - Isak - New FW

Pope

tino.     Shar.        New CB.      New LB

Tonali.          Bruno?      Willock

Gordon.         Isak?          Joelinton 

Subs. 
 New RW

New Young striker

Barnes

Hall

Burn

Lascelles

Anderson

Miley

Longstaff,Almiron,Wilson,Targett sold.

I can see 3 or 4 out of Targett, Murphy, Almiron, Longstaff and Wilson being sold to make funds available and as much as I like all of them I can't see many footballing based objections to this.

Targett just doesn't seem to be rated by Howe and Hall should take his role as rotation LB. He'll probably be an attractive 5-10 million option for a bottom half premier league team.

Almiron or Murphy should play the same role the team next year as high energy backup to either stretch tiring defenses or help close out games. We don't need two players who do essentially the same thing.

Longstaff is solid but his limitations have been shown up and with Tonali and Miley I think we can cover him.

Wilson is too injury prone to be a backup option to an injury prone striker in Isak and he's probably on too much money for a team in our position to have him as third choice.

Like others I feel we need a RW or a RWF and a quality CB, after that I'm not sure another CM option or a more conventional striker?

Edited by Geordie_once_removed

What if PIF decided to take on FFP in a way that was so ludicrous it broke the system? They’ve done big things before like bought out the entire PGA 

So instead of pussyfooting around with 2-3 signings, they didn’t put in any limits, and bought 6-7 major signings, costing 400m.

Obviously it shows blatant disregard for the rules, but what’s the worst that will happen? It could start a chain of events where others think oh well if these guys aren’t following it, we’re not and it becomes something that breaks the entire system? 

15 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Pope

tino.     Shar.        New CB.      New LB

Tonali.          Bruno?      Willock

Gordon.         Isak?          Joelinton 

Subs. 
 New RW

New Young striker

Barnes

Hall

Burn

Lascelles

Anderson

Miley

Longstaff,Almiron,Wilson,Targett sold.

Totally agree with those 4 being sold - imo none have a future here 

You would assume the likes of Dummett, Hendrick, Lewis, Hayden and Fraser will be off the books too - Gillespie and Karius too - not sure on Dubs - let’s assume he stays 

I reckon we will sign L Kelly, most likely give Minteh 1 more season 

CB - CM - RW - CF are the priorities - surely the sales of Longstaff - Miggy -,Targett and Wilson will cover at least 2 of the signings?

3 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Totally agree with those 4 being sold - imo none have a future here 

You would assume the likes of Dummett, Hendrick, Lewis, Hayden and Fraser will be off the books too - Gillespie and Karius too - not sure on Dubs - let’s assume he stays 

I reckon we will sign L Kelly, most likely give Minteh 1 more season 

CB - CM - RW - CF are the priorities - surely the sales of Longstaff - Miggy -,Targett and Wilson will cover at least 2 of the signings?

Dubravka’s agent has said he wants to leave in the summer.

Regardless of whether he stuck around or not, Pope’s injury has elevated backup GK to a must-fill position. It’s not inconceivable he suffers another dislocated shoulder next year and that’s the season completely fucked again.

16 minutes ago, christ said:

Dubravka’s agent has said he wants to leave in the summer.

Regardless of whether he stuck around or not, Pope’s injury has elevated backup GK to a must-fill position. It’s not inconceivable he suffers another dislocated shoulder next year and that’s the season completely fucked again.

Fair point - I would however like to see an Academy keeper promoted to 3rd choice at the very least 

I would be massively disappointed if we didn’t see additions to CB - CM - RW - CF

For me we definitely need a LB and an upgraded RW. If everyone if fit and available the Midfield is fine for next season. After that a younger RCB and then a Striker are the next 2 on the list. 

I've seen 4-2-3-1 mentioned and I'd love to see it tried, but not sure how well it would work in practice. 

Pope*

Tino  New CB  Schar New LB

Tonali        Bruno

Isak/Willock

Gordon Isak/New CF   Barnes

*Schar is LCB because Botman won't make 1st few months of the season

As we likely won't see a new formation I think we'll see something like this once Tonali finishes his ban

Pope*

Tino.     New CB     Schar    Hall

Tonali     Bruno     Willock

Gordon        Isak        Joelinton

*I think we'll make at least 4 1st team signings, but they won't all be straight in

3 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

There's more chance of us selling him this summer than him making enough of an impression to break away from the periphery of Eddie's thoughts imo.

22 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

There's more chance of us selling him this summer than him making enough of an impression to break away from the periphery of Eddie's thoughts imo.

What makes you think that?

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Still think RW is the priority.

Agree, but the defence situation is getting close to the RW. I think Joelinton, Tonali and Pope back will help a lot, but we need some serious quality in there.

I think that's being unecessarily negative towards Howe and I think there's other factors to consider, Minteh has had a year playing in the Champions League and a decent enough Dutch division.

Also a winger is much easier to ease into a team than full backs. Hall didn't have a pre season with us

For me it's clear as day we need a better RW option, and we really can't rely on Wilson as back up, or Isak to be fit for a full season (though hopefully this changes if he has surgery etc) so another ST needed imo. Absolute worst case a RW who can play CF and we keep Wilson

The Pope injury, will he be at the same level as he was before? Beforehand, I'd have been happy with Pope as number 1 for another year, but if his levels have dropped, does it become a priority position? Mamardashvili etc and we've hopefully got our own Allison for the next 10 years? 

Botman injury, I think we'd have already been looking at a new CB, but now I assume this is higher up the list.. 

Left back situation. Major current weakness, we have Burn, Hall, Targett, Dummett (going). We we've already committed £30M+ to Hall in Summer, so can't see us going big here.... In an ideal world, sell Targett and get Lloyd Kelly on a free. Though not sure how we will ever bed Hall into the team if we keep playing with a '3rd' centre back at left back? 

Just my thoughts, and that's not even thinking about midfield. There's a few profiles we don't have, not including Bruno. 1 a athletic DM (Onana). 2 Someone who can slow the game down and control (Silva as eg). 3 someone with final third qualities (Maddison eg)

Not at all saying we need to get these types of players, Liverpool don't for example, and Howe may want our midfield to be all lungs/energy and get our goals from the wings, the counter press etc, which is likely considering the how we play and the fact we haven't addressed these types of players before 

Christ that was longer than needed, just my thoughts and how it's going to be a bit difficult to cover all weaknesses I guess, and how outgoings are going to be crucial if FPP is going to make things as hard as it seems

Why doesn't Wilson have a future here as 3rd choice Striker? If he was willing to play the role think it would be perfect for us, much less likely to be injured if he rarely starts and just plays 20-30 minutes, he could score double figures doing that next season. 

Edited by mondonewc