NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

12 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep.  I’d happily see a reserve side vs Arsenal to ensure full fitness for Blackburn (other opinions do exist, though)

I've paid almost £200 for the pleasure - so no thanks! I don't want to see Ritchie and Dummett play.

9 minutes ago, Menace said:

I've paid almost £200 for the pleasure - so no thanks! I don't want to see Ritchie and Dummett play.

If the offset is it gets you to Wembley in a couple of months time, I'm sure you'll survive. 

21 minutes ago, Ikon said:

If they just started to train like normally then Arsenal feels too soon. Even for cameos. 

For Willock maybe, but not for Isak. He’s only been out three weeks, so he should be good to go. 

From what Eddie said at last week’s presser you felt that if Bournemouth had been a huge game for whatever reason, Isak probably could have been risked. Think they took the safe option last week, so now’s the right time.

Reckon Isak starts* and Willock is on the bench.

*although that doesn’t mean he has to run himself into the ground for 98 mins.

Hopefully he is fit enough in his groin to play. Usually they take long to get rid of properly. I’ve had many groin problems and even though I’ve been able to train well only to then play a game with proper start/stop longer sprints to fuck it up again.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Not enough detail. Was Isak in full training or just a part?

Still think there's no chance we sign Solanke.

We need a RW & a LB that Howe will actually play.

The Barnes money should have been spent on a RW. Even IF he was a RW he isn’t the type of player that I would have signed even though he is clinical. Want a more creative player that offers more in general play. One with a bit of flair and magic. We already have Gordon who is very good but not really the type of player I want for the right either. 

5 minutes ago, Ikon said:

The Barnes money should have been spent on a RW. Even IF he was a RW he isn’t the type of player that I would have signed even though he is clinical. Want a more creative player that offers more in general play. One with a bit of flair and magic. We already have Gordon who is very good but not really the type of player I want for the right either. 

I agree. But i'm learning that Howe likes what he likes. I want that type of player but I don't expect it. We were linked with a lad from Frosinone - reminded me of Almiron but with ability which would be excellent.

37 minutes ago, Ikon said:

The athletic had an awesome article recently that I posted about the rebirth of the dribbler and their ability to break down deep blocks, drive teams forward etc.  It wasn’t mentioned in the article but made me a little mad as we so seemingly got rid of ours (Maxi). 

IMHO I always felt Gordon was the perfect upgrade on Almiron, a workhorse direct wide forward who gets you goals, drives us up field with his dribbling and is direct in terms of what he wants to do. Sadly, Gordon isn’t perfect on the right. Wish he was! As I was hoping he’d play right and Barnes would play left and we’d effectly have a goal scoring left winger, a direct and sometimes creative but goal scoring right winger (with defensive workhorse) and then a CF like Isak who could create and score. 

Long way of saying this, but that’s not working out or probably happening. I’d like our right winger to be a dribbler and creator, a maverick who offers something totally different than our previous and current. A bit like Maxi but with better decision making in the final third, and most importantly someone who’s bloody fit and not in physio room. 

58 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

For a team of few creators, we do create and score a lot of goals.

Goes back to what I believe Klopp said a few years ago. Don't remember the exact quote but it was along the lines of an aggressive/high press is the best number 10 you can have. 

28 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Goes back to what I believe Klopp said a few years ago. Don't remember the exact quote but it was along the lines of an aggressive/high press is the best number 10 you can have. 

And that’s exactly why we value physical ability above all else, it is 100% the most important attribute for our midfield and forward line to possess. We have brute forced enough high turnover goals with our press to make it clear why we signed Gordon and Barnes.. as creative and technically good as a player like Maddison is we wouldn’t have extracted full value as he lacks that physicality.

Edited by Nine

A more creative player in one of our three spots in midfield doesn’t necessarily have to be in the mould of Maddison either. There are other talented technical midfielders out there with a mix of creativity and physical ability. 

Edited by Ikon

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Not enough detail. Was Isak in full training or just a part?

Still think there's no chance we sign Solanke.

We need a RW & a LB that Howe will actually play.

The time to sign Solanke was this summer gone. His price will have gone through the roof now.

7 minutes ago, Ikon said:

A more creative player in one of our three spots in midfield doesn’t necessarily have to be in the mould of Maddison either. There are other talented technical midfielders out there with a mix of creativity and physical ability. 

I agree fully.

Liverpool in their prime did play with a natural 10 in Firmino as a false 9. And then they put in more technical/progressive passing midfielders in Thiago and now MacAllister.

We are missing that type of guile and finesse. We are definitely one player short there.

Our style is a big reason why we can be hit on the break. It requires a lot of numbers going forward (over loads).

City on the other hand start with at least 2 playmakers. Sometimes 3 or 4 (Grealish, KDB, Foden, Bilva) and still press.

Edited by The College Dropout

Also being better in possession, which requires better technical ability overall will also give us a better chance of being more physical in a good/effective way because we won’t have to go 200mph for 90 minutes which is unsustainable. Balance is key. 

Edited by Ikon

44 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Absolute non-starter.

On a positive note, it does show that Howe has a keen eye for a player. Nathan Ake is another outstanding player he discovered early on.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

On a positive note, it does show that Howe has a keen eye for a player. Nathan Ake is another outstanding player he discovered early on.

Both players very highly regarded as youth players and expensive - wonderkids. Solanke was signed a couple years too early at the time.

Ake in particular was a coup for Bournemouth at the time. Solanke was dominant for England at youth level - was highly regarded at Chelsea and Liverpool hence the big fee.

Didn’t Solanke leave Liverpool sort of “failed” to live up? Only for time and maturity and proper attention given to him at Bournemouth now allowing him to develop? It’s just like Toney. Sometimes players need to actually find themselves at a club that will nurture them.