NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

37 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

Just checked his Wiki, had no idea he was born in Canada. 

He played and captained canada u20 when they beat England 2-1 years ago.

It's sore point at what could have been. Literally the missing link for and exciting generation in Canada. He grew up in England though, so don't blame him. Southgate has done him over repeatedly though. 

Edited by toontownman

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Its all a bit tongue in cheek though isn’t it, but it’s undeniable if we splurged 60 million on Bowen it’s because the manager wants PL experience and a sure thing.

If Chelsea get Nico Williams for 45 million who is much younger and has sell on value I know who I’d be thinking got the best deal.

Similar with Kudus last summer, compared to Barnes who we’d struggle to make our money back on, West Ham clearly got the better value deal by showing a bit more imagination and taking a chance.

Who gives a shite about sell on value, man. We should sign the best players available to us now.

Didn't we used to complain when wouldn't buy experienced players/players for now under Ashley. 

I think there will be a plan to mix some inexperience which we have with more experienced players and won't all be flashy.

I still trust management and rest of club to get it all right.

10 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Who gives a shite about sell on value, man. We should sign the best players available to us now.

Well the club obviously will do, because they know that not looking at both age and sell on value for the vast majority of signings is a surefire way to very quickly back yourself into a FFP corner.

Until things change in terms of rules, we have far larger revenue streams, or we have an extensive catalogue of youngsters to flog - then this is how we are going to have to operate.

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Well the club obviously will do, because they know that not looking at both age and sell on value for the vast majority of signings is a surefire way to very quickly back yourself into a FFP corner.

Until things change in terms of rules, we have far larger revenue streams, or we have an extensive catalogue of youngsters to flog - then this is how we are going to have to operate.

I get that, but as a fan why on earth would you be worrying about stuff like that? Surely you just want to see the best team out on the pitch.

7 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Agree with this to a point, but I don't think signing a 27 year old for big money is a definite "no". 

I think they'd deal for the right money, that being said I think Bowen would be too difficult a deal to do. 

35 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I’d argue Williams and Kudus are the best players in the comparisons I gave as well as better investments, which is important unless the rules are going to change.

Edited by Whitley mag

1 hour ago, nufc4eva said:

Didn't we used to complain when wouldn't buy experienced players/players for now under Ashley. 

I think there will be a plan to mix some inexperience which we have with more experienced players and won't all be flashy.

I still trust management and rest of club to get it all right.

Under Ashley it was more not signing *anyone*

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Just been looking at some Wham rumours (sadly no reunion is possible, but…) couple of NUFC related possibilities: 

Antonio from West Ham to Forest, Cherki from Lyon to West Ham, Wilson to West Ham, Minteh to Lyon? 

Would Cherki’s fee cover the outlay we’d expect for Minteh? £30m-£40m?

16 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Its all a bit tongue in cheek though isn’t it, but it’s undeniable if we splurged 60 million on Bowen it’s because the manager wants PL experience and a sure thing.

If Chelsea get Nico Williams for 45 million who is much younger and has sell on value I know who I’d be thinking got the best deal.

Similar with Kudus last summer, compared to Barnes who we’d struggle to make our money back on, West Ham clearly got the better value deal by showing a bit more imagination and taking a chance.

This is so much hindsight. Barnes was looking a lot better and safer than kudus when we bought him. We also took a chance and "imagination" with tonali, but arguing like that makes no sensw. 

15 minutes ago, NoU said:

This is so much hindsight. Barnes was looking a lot better and safer than kudus when we bought him. We also took a chance and "imagination" with tonali, but arguing like that makes no sensw. 

Don't think that is fair. It was evident that Kudus was a very good player and that Barnes at the price we paid was not some massive bargain. On top of that Kudus plays in a position we needed to strengthen whereas Barnes was more a squad depth addition. I think many people at the time would have preferred to see the Barnes money go to someone capable of holding a first team right wing place, like Kudus.

14 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Don't think that is fair. It was evident that Kudus was a very good player and that Barnes at the price we paid was not some massive bargain. On top of that Kudus plays in a position we needed to strengthen whereas Barnes was more a squad depth addition. I think many people at the time would have preferred to see the Barnes money go to someone capable of holding a first team right wing place, like Kudus.

Exactly. 

47 minutes ago, NoU said:

Every deal has risks but 3 of our 5 best purchases have come from abroad Botman, Isak and Bruno. Though Tonali looks a disaster currently, he’s still young and everything could look different for him by end of next season.

The 4th best deal Trippier would have cost a dam sight more as well if he had been playing for an English club.

Edited by Whitley mag

14 hours ago, KaKa said:

The funniest thing about this whole Tomori thing is that people would have been fewming if we went for him straight from Chelsea ... same with Marc Guehi.

If we went for Tomori or Guehi straight from Chelsea people would have been saying we have our CB back pairing sorted for the next ten years like they did with our full backs when we signed Hall and Tino. 

They would be fewming if we bought them at age 27 after years Wolves or Leeds though. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Every deal has risks but 3 of our 5 best purchases have come from abroad Botman, Isak and Bruno. Though Tonali looks a disaster currently, he’s still young and everything could look different for him by end of next season.

The 4th best deal Trippier would have cost a dam sight more as well if he had been playing for an English club.

Wrong way round - they only go abroad for ‘bankers’ - these have all worked except Tonali.

PSR means the club cannot get a single big transfer wrong, so it’s a safety first strategy of PL experience is a must UNLESS the player is young and definitely going to be CL quality. If they spot a RW or CB in this category abroad they will do it, if they can’t find a banker at the right place it’s domestic.

Tonalis suspension effectively derailed last season so you can see why the strategy is there.Other clubs can afford to take gambles on players who might not work out, NUFC can’t and PL experience is the best proof a player will succeed.

Id love for the club to be taking all sorts of fun punts but the PSR situation doesn’t allow it, as a £40m flop on a 5 year deal with big wages is the stuff of PSR nightmares.

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Why do we keep bringing up Harvey Barnes in conversations about who we should or shouldn't have signed? The bloke has been very good for us ffs [emoji38]

He’s barely played, I find it very difficult to judge if he’s been a good signing or not at this point. People will question Barnes in particular because the position wasn’t a priority and we’ve probably bought at the peak and he’s not the kind of player who will say double in value.