Should we stay or should we go?

Kid Icarus

Should we stay or should we go?  

496 members have voted

1. 1. Stadium expansion vs a new stadium

• Stay - expand St James's Park to the rumoured 65k capacity
    • Go - move to an alternative city centre location

5 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

Where are you seeing £16m for the Emirates? That deal is weird and complicated but I've never seen an estimate that high.

The Etihad deal obviously comes with many questions. 

I agree though that for a new stadium we'd be in the £10m range. Maybe a bit higher.

I’ll see if I can find the report, it was a 2019 paper on how football clubs are leaving millions on the table by not having stadium sponsorship.

fwiw it had Brighton’s sponsorship at £1.5m a year and our estimate back then at £3.5m but that was Ashley era and SJP.

spurs are allegedly looking for £25m a year

What would be peoples feelings on ticket prices if we were to move to a new stadium that was on same level of commercial income as Spurs? 

Because any move would surely see a substantial increase in ticket prices/season tickets? Which would be a price point that excludes a good portion of the fanbase. 

Stay.

Ticket pricing should be capped under the new regulators at £30 home or away (or perhaps even less) (in response to the above post).

Clubs shouldn't be able to spin this whole TV revenue is the be all, end all then be allowed to continuously make mugs of fans' loyalty.

The stadium should remain where it is. With some modernisation and small scale growth it'd be the best stadium in the country. Football fans like history, they like heritage and whilst all this new, shiney, Americanised shopping and  entertainment centre is the way forward for some clubs, it's not for me.

St James' Park is where we flock to, to see people represent the great city of Newcastle upon Tyne. Our castle. Our cathedral. Our home.

Edited by Heron

Stay. Stay. Stay.

And I say this as a member who can rarely get in these days.

We should exhaust all options before even considering thinking about leaving. There’s a lot to be said about ‘place’ these days. In many ways as a society, it’s all we have left. I don’t want to remove a distinct ‘place’ for me, and thousands of others. Yes, moving it to the Arena site might sound amazing on paper, but you cannot replace the aura of place. Spurs are the only Club who’ve managed to keep that running thread of place with the way they changed their stadium. 

Highbury to the Emirates is only 0.3 miles walk - and I am sure the aura of Highbury’s place is is long gone. SJP to the Arena is 0.9 miles. 

I think of the ever increasing size of the Etihad and the way they have to flog tickets to students to fill the capacity. This too would one day be our fate in a ground anything over 65,000. To be honest, I think within a decade of success, we’d sometimes struggle to fill 55,000 against a Bournemouth or Burnley without gifting tickets away. Sometimes in business, demand can be more beneficial than supply. 

Build where we are, increase the Gallowgate, tart up the concourses and Corporate areas and we can keep our soul. 

The good news is, we will be doing that.

10 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

Pretty sure no long term decision has been taken either way. Or if it has they haven't communicated it yet. 

After the purchase of the Strawberry Place land Ghodoussi told The Athletic: "We're working with the city and council to see what we can do. "There are a lot of things that need to happen first, but that’s the way forward. "If we can get it to 60 or 65,000 thousand, amazing."

A great decision in my opinion. An 80,000 vanity project is not what we want. Imagine having to close the upper tiers like some two-bit champo club?

The high ticket demand for the cathedral on the hill needs to be taken advantage of by a significant increase in ticket prices to keep us in line with the top clubs ST prices.  Looks like we are currently miles off the pace:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/328654/premier-league-teams-ranked-by-most-expensive-season-ticket-price/

I can't really decide. We stay where we are which is the best site, expand a bit, keep the history etc. Or we move to a new build state of the art place.

There's no lose to either for me providing it's still city centre.

I'd only want to stay if it meant they would knock it down stand by stand and make drastic improvements. Won't be great just extending one site imo.

I see the arguments to move but I'm not convinced by them, personally.

Matchday revenue is one thing, but overshadowed by other types of income. And having an 80,000 stadium which isn't filled doesn't do much more for matchday income either.

For all that FFP holds us back right now, it could well be temporary. There's been a lot of noise about how clubs are being forced to sell home grown players because of it, but to me that's nothing compared to it forcing a move from a historic stadium that most people love.

If we can expand SJP to c.65,000, have it reliably filled and retain / build on the atmosphere that makes the place special, all the better.

Sponsor a new stand, have some nice new plush corporate areas for business income, have better merch, food and drink by all means, those detract nothing so that's the way to go for me.

19 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Sponsor a new stand, have some nice new plush corporate areas for business income, have better merch, food and drink by all means, those detract nothing so that's the way to go for me.

Can see it now , The Greggs Bobby Robson Memorial Stand 🤩