Lewis Hall completes permanent transfer from Chelsea (Official)

Paully

granted we're not privy to what goes in training etc, but it must be devastating for the young'n, being a toon fan and thinking hes got his dream move.

he can't have been that bad in training.

maybe its more an ffp related decision.

Edited by huss9

I work with a couple of Chelsea fans and they keep saying “we’ll take him back if you don’t want him”. He seems well thought of by them. Wonder what went wrong here for him.

Even if he's not featured much (if anything meaningful at all) this season, I'm still happy we made the move to get him. I personally rate him highly, and believe there's a strong market for making more signings like him whilst we're in our position of not being a regular top 4, so can (and should) be able to play younger players more.

There's so much strong English talent out there, which can save so much money further down the line, and if they're not seeing a break through at the big clubs but are at us, we should be taking advantage whilst that's there. Likewise outside the top sides, the English pool is strong and rest of this decade will show that.

2 hours ago, STM said:

I watched Eddie's press conference and IMO he kind of implied that Halls transfer was a mistake.

Yeah, agreed. Think there was a bit of a Freudian slip in there when he said something to the effect of "not every transfer will be a success, there'll be mistakes... I'm not taking about Lewis." Well the question was about Lewis, Eddie. :lol:

I suspect that we're going to be stuck with him whether we like it or not so thankfully he's got an eternity ahead of him to get better. I've honestly found it to be the most tedious talking point all season. Clearly he's not good enough to be in the team but clearly he's 19. It's a problem that is only going to be solved one way or another in the future.  

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah, agreed. Think there was a bit of a Freudian slip in there when he said something to the effect of "not every transfer will be a success, there'll be mistakes... I'm not taking about Lewis." Well the question was about Lewis, Eddie. :lol:

I suspect that we're going to be stuck with him whether we like it or not so thankfully he's got an eternity ahead of him to get better. I've honestly found it to be the most tedious talking point all season. Clearly he's not good enough to be in the team but clearly he's 19. It's a problem that is only going to be solved one way or another in the future.  

I don't think he meant that. He was trying to say "yes every transfer has to be right because of FFP.. but it's also not possible". But he didn't commit on the obligation but said earlier Hall was getting closer to activating it. 

Regardless of what he says, Eddie doesn't think he's ready at a minimum.

25:25

It kind of fucks up our left back situation, IF he doesn't come good / get used next season 

As of right now we've got £30m already committed to him for summers budget, if he again isn't fancied, or loaned etc. Then we're still with Burn starting, Targett back up 

It would seem madness to buy another LB with us having 3 and having spent £30m already in the window.... So are we at risk do Burn starting LB next season? 

4 hours ago, SteV said:

Yeah, there was some ITK Chelsea Twitter account claiming we just had to stay up to make it permanent.

That would be the most pointless clause ever considering we were a CL club at the time of signing him. Can't believe that for a second.

Personally I think if the deal was a foregone conclusion we'd be using him a lot more.

1 minute ago, OverThere said:

I find it curious that he is deemed "not ready" when he started against Dortmund away.

And has barely been seen since.

Edited by SUPERTOON

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

That would be the most pointless clause ever considering we were a CL club at the time of signing him. Can't believe that for a second.

Personally I think if the deal was a foregone conclusion we'd be using him a lot more.

At the time the loan was viewed as only a FFP hack.

Edited by The College Dropout

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

At the time the loan was viewed as only a FFP hack.

Whatever. if Howe doesn't rate him I'd rather just take the loan fee hit and use the remaining money to sign someone we'll actually use.

6 minutes ago, janpawel said:

It kind of fucks up our left back situation, IF he doesn't come good / get used next season 

As of right now we've got £30m already committed to him for summers budget, if he again isn't fancied, or loaned etc. Then we're still with Burn starting, Targett back up 

It would seem madness to buy another LB with us having 3 and having spent £30m already in the window.... So are we at risk do Burn starting LB next season? 

The answer is we have to do everything we can to sell Targett (assuming he's not our starting LB). His wages are crazy.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

And has barely been seen since.

Aye he's clearly fallen out of favour. He was hooked at HT in that game iirc. Might have started the next game too and also got hooked at HT.

Do you know how bad you have to be to be subbed at HT by Howe? Twice?

Since then he's only got proper minutes once we've proper been battered and the game is gone. Rarely comes on when a game is tightly contested. Zero trust.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Whatever. if Howe doesn't rate him I'd rather just take the loan fee hit and use the remaining money to sign someone we'll actually use.

If it's a minimal criteria obligation - we won't have a choice.... which seemed to be the initial purpose.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think the whole point was just to to shift the payment to next year for FFP. 

There was never really any consideration on our part that we wanted a ‘safety net’ or ‘get out’ from the deal being made permanent IMO

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

If it's a minimal criteria obligation - we won't have a choice.... which seemed to be the initial purpose.

If that was the case I'm pretty sure we'd have used him more.

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We've got £55m worth of left-back on the books. Crazy.

And basically only playing Dan Burn. Frustrating wondering what the rest could possibly do with playing time. 

Just now, SteV said:

I think the whole point was just to to shift the payment to next year for FFP. 

There was never really any consideration on our part that we wanted a ‘safety net’ or ‘get out’ from the deal being made permanent IMO

Same as above. If we were planning on keeping him, I just think we'd have used him a lot more. There's no way he is so bad that it makes more sense to run players to a standstill rather than bring him on to freshen things up during a phase when we are ravaged by injuries to begin with.

I’m basing the fact he has had so few opportunities on him being more an Ashworth signing than Howe. Probably a load of rubbish on my part, just think if Howe had really wanted him he would have played more.

Edited by SUPERTOON