Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 Newcastle United (02/09/23)

Yorkie

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

One thing that's really annoying me is how reluctant we are to pull the trigger and shoot when we get the opportunity, doubt it's an instruction from the manager, feel like it betrays a real lack of confidence.

One thing about Brighton is they absolutely love shooting, shooting, shooting rather than trying to walk it in.

It was one of our strengths last season too, particularly at home.

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s very early to write off top 4 based on playing such a hard group of fixtures from a standing start. 

I don’t think it’s just about results though. We have stood still in terms of the evolution of the side. And Spurs look better having signed the player we should brought here whatever the cost.

Liverpool too - as iffy as they look defensively there’s no way they aren’t getting 75 points + this season with the signings they’ve made.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

I don’t think it’s just about results though. We have stood still in terms of the evolution of the side. And Spurs look better having signed the player we should brought here whatever the cost.

Liverpool too - as iffy as they look defensively there’s no way they aren’t getting 75 points + this season with the signings they’ve made.

This is why people give you shit, man. 4 games is some sample size to conclude that we are no longer evolving.

1 minute ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

This is why people give you shit, man. 4 games is some sample size to conclude that we are no longer evolving.

We haven’t signed anyone to remotely adapt the way we play, and you know that.

6 minutes ago, LFEE said:

1 point worse off than last season. Let’s see where we are come the New Year.

:thup:

Sweeping statements this early in the campaign just whiff of recency bias.

With 6 points after 5 games last season, no one would have predicted the run we'd go on. That's not to say we'll do it again, but more to make the point it's very early days.

Edited by The Prophet

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

We haven’t signed anyone to remotely adapt the way we play, and you know that.

I think we have. I don't believe Tonali was signed to play in a middle 3 and I don't believe Gordon and Barnes were signed to be either/or.

Edited by madras

5 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I've defended you in the past, but seriously, you don' make it easy, man. Get a good night's rest.

Well cheers for that, but unsure what you’re going on about. I’m behind Howe and keeping things in perspective. 2 games is only games, as genuinely pathetic as both performances were.

Ultimately we can all be calm about it. We’re owned by winners now, not Mike Ashley. They’ll do what it takes to see us win. 

Just now, Ronaldo said:

Well cheers for that, but unsure what you’re going on about. I’m behind Howe and keeping things in perspective. 2 games is only games, as genuinely pathetic as both performances were.

Ultimately we can all be calm about it. We’re owned by winners now, not Mike Ashley. They’ll do what it takes to see us win. 

Because you did yourself a bit of an injustice with that one post by appearing to speak in absolutes. Too early to tell if were are truly standing still. 

8 minutes ago, madras said:

I think we have. I don't believe Tonali was signed to play in a middle 3 and I don't believe Gordon and Barnes were signed to be either/or.

Do you think he would fare any better in a middle 2?

I had these down as struggling this season but judging on today, it's clear it's more their system and mentality than individuals. No coincidence the likes of Bissouma (up to this season), Cucarella, Caicedo (so far) have struggled away from it? Even Potter trying to get that mentality and setup across from Brighton to Chelsea was impossible. Gained a lot of respect from me today, I'd underestimated them.

3 minutes ago, madras said:

Possibly not yet but I think that's the longer term plan.

When we sell Bruno to Barcelona? Come on man, don't be coy, if Tonali's part of a middle 2 then it won't be next to Bruno.

Most Frustrating thing to me is we don't seem to have a plan B outside subbing like for like players. Same issues rearing their head week after week and haven't seen any attempts to address it.

Howe said he was looking for 3 mids to Interchage and all be versatile. But up to this point it just looks like no one knows what their role is and we're getting caught completely disorganized.

you can't play without a DM with this defense. We've been hurt the same way all 4 games this season. No DM, teams play  to their forwards coming short and force our unathletic back line to chase forwards into no man's land with no support from midfield. It's been so easy, even villa had success with it. Has to change.

Upfront, isak is too isolated. Not sure if his skills translate to being an isolated #9. 

I'd like to see a 4-2-3-1. Have Bruno and tonali double pivot. Clear roles to dictate from the middle. Isak roaming behind Wilson with 2 from gordon/barnes/joelinton/Almiron out wide.

And please get Hall up to speed. Burn and Targett have both been poor.

Trust in Eddie and the Boys to get it right. No need to panic yet

Edited by Palestoon

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

When we sell Bruno to Barcelona? Come on man, don't be coy, if Tonali's part of a middle 2 then it won't be next to Bruno.

That may well have been part of the thinking. I just don't think they bought him to play with either him or Bruno on the right in a 3.

5 minutes ago, Palestoon said:

Most Frustrating thing to me is we don't seem to have a plan B outside subbing like for like players. Same issues rearing their head week after week and haven't seen any attempts to address it.

Howe said he was looking for 3 mids to Interchage and all be versatile. But up to this point it just looks like no one knows what their role is and we're getting caught completely disorganized.

you can't play without a DM with this defense. We've been hurt the same way all 4 games this season. No DM, teams play  to their forwards coming short and force our unathletic back line to chase forwards into no man's land with no support from midfield. It's been so easy, even villa had success with it. Has to change.

Upfront, isak is too isolated. Not sure if his skills translate to being an isolated #9. 

I'd like to see a 4-2-3-1. Have Bruno and tonali double pivot. Clear roles to dictate from the middle. Isak roaming behind Wilson with 2 from gordon/barnes/joelinton/Almiron out wide.

And please get Hall up to speed. Burn and Targett have both been poor.

Trust in Eddie and the Boys to get it right. No need to panic yet

We played without a DM all last season and conceded the joint fewest goals in the division.

1 minute ago, madras said:

We played without a DM all last season and conceded the joint fewest goals in the division.

We did start conceding quite a few more in the second half of the season though as teams adapted to our press.

18 minutes ago, TRon said:

Do you think he would fare any better in a middle 2?

interestingly man city have ditched the 4-3-3 and now play with 2 DMs in a 4-2-3-1. I think thats the only way for bruno and tonali to play together to benefit the team. maybe even isak could play in the middle of the 3 behind wilson. However what worries me is that we are moving away from what was successful last season with just a few changes which has had an adverse effect on (not just the last 3 results) but the way we play. 

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

We did start conceding quite a few more in the second half of the season though as teams adapted to our press.

Did we concede more due to teams adapting to us or because we opened up to go after games ?

7 minutes ago, madras said:

Might be wrong, but it felt like there was more structure last season. Our midfield had patterns you could identify. All 3 have looked all over the shop these past few matches.

12 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Bruno has to be dropped like, if longstaff was to give the ball away half as much in a game he'd be slagged off

personally id like to see him in with longstaff like last season. Joelinton starting to look like a steve bruce hoofer again playing in midfield which suggests his best position is wide left of front 3....where isak played, where maxi used to play, where gordon plays and where barnes comes on to play. Nicely stocked with LWFs but no midfielder with legs or shooting ability 

Edited by Mr Pups
spelling

7 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Bruno has to be dropped like, if longstaff was to give the ball away half as much in a game he'd be slagged off

He really doesn't. Up until his hospital pass v Liverpool he's been fine.

The problem is he ends up being the only player dropping deep to pick the ball up from the defence. This makes him easy to isolate, which both Liverpool and Brighton both did very well. Howe identified the issue v Liverpool and tucked the full backs in, but it happened again today. It's definitely an area that needs a bit of tweaking.