Sheffield United 0-8 Newcastle United (24/09/23)

Disco

36 minutes ago, Neil said:

Honestly, I suspect you'll play better than that this season and lose. Not to take credit away as you were on it and pressed them well, but that was an all-time embarrassing performance from Sheff Utd. There was a period where they passed you the ball in their own half about 4 times in 90 seconds. [emoji38]Sunday League stuff.

Screenshot-20230924-232004-Chrome.jpg

next-goldberg.gif

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I also thought Sheff Utd were the better side until the goal tbh - we do have a slow start in us.  Blew them away after that.

Maybe we had a slow start for 10 minutes or so, but that doesn't mean that we were 7/10 overall today. It's as if Isak scored 5 goals in a game, but we give him a 7 rating because he didn't do much for the first 10 minutes.

Edited by Erikse

4 minutes ago, Menace said:

For context, these lot almost done Tottenham, and got a draw against City. Why are we so tough on our squad? It was a cracking performance by our lot and I'm not taking anything away from them at all. 

It's so ridiculous man, honestly :lol:

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

Maybe we had a slow start for 10 minutes or so, but that doesn't mean that we were 7/10 overall today. It's as if Isak scored 5 goals, but we give him a 7 rating because he didn't do much for the first 10 minutes.

I don't think we were 7/10 mind :) - but I also think we weren't the better side for the first 25 mins.  Which makes the performance and result all the more remarkable for me.

7 minutes ago, Heron said:

Anyone thinking we deserved to be ahead after 20 mins is absolutely kidding themselves. It was only after that first goal we got our mojo back. I really hope that's it now...been lacking confidence since Liverpool.

Why are you so concerned about the first 20 mins?

As if every team always comes out the blocks on fire and just maintains that for 90 mins.

This is so incredibly strange.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I don't think we were 7/10 mind :) - but I also think we weren't the better side for the first 25 mins.  Which makes the performance and result all the more remarkable for me.

Agreed. But we weren't at it for the full 90 is my point. There are games where we've played out our skin for 90minutes and somehow lost. People can say ah that's a 6 or 7 out of 10 performance as a result...

They were just utter shite after we went 1 0 up and we grew as they regressed. Not a difficult concept. It's not as if I'm saying we were shit. Just that we didn't have to be outstanding to wipe the florlor with them. People sensationalised my views (not you)

2 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

To state the obvious, I think Heron is enjoying it though. I think 7/10 is pretty harsh considering, but there you go. 

Thank you good sir. People are waxing lyrical as if it was impeccable. We weren't. A better team would have been 2 up in the first 20. We wouldn't have won as a result.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Why are you so concerned about the first 20 mins?

As if every team always comes out the blocks on fire and just maintains that for 90 mins.

This is so incredibly strange.

Not at all. A game lasts 90minutes. Do you think Howe would be happy we gave him two gaping chances to score and to potentially be 2 0 down in the first 20mins?

I am absolutely happy. But folk on here are pretending we had to be better than we were today. They were god awful and we were decent.

I'm gonna call it social media syndrome. No grey matter only black and white. We were either mint or we were shit. Bollocks. We played well after the first 20, almost impeccably. But by definition that is 70 of the 90. 7/9. 

2 minutes ago, Heron said:

I am absolutely happy. But folk on here are pretending we had to be better than we were today. They were god awful and we were decent.

I think you're seeing things tbh. I think it's been fairly restrained considering the scoreline. Nothing wrong with getting carried away though, it's one of the best things about being a fan 

5 minutes ago, Heron said:

Agreed. But we weren't at it for the full 90 is my point. There are games where we've played out our skin for 90minutes and somehow lost. People can say ah that's a 6 or 7 out of 10 performance as a result...

They were just utter shite after we went 1 0 up and we grew as they regressed. Not a difficult concept. It's not as if I'm saying we were shit. Just that we didn't have to be outstanding to wipe the florlor with them. People sensationalised my views (not you)

Yep, that's pretty much where I am.  NUFC played well after the first - but they absolutely collapsed.  That was as pathetic a performance as you'll ever see at this level - Sheff Utd were utter dogshit.  The amount of space in midfield and the centre of their defence was incredible.  Newcastle still have to play well to exploit and punish them - and they did - but we didn't need to play at our peak (and we didn't) to get the biggest league away win in our history.  If I was a Sheff Utd fan I'd be fucking fuming at how pathetic they were.

I'm going to thoroughly enjoy this result, but won't get carried away by it in the slightest. In our 28 seasons of PL football that lot were by far the worst team we have ever played in this league. It was an utter embarassment from them, and like a training match. Should build momentum for us nicely though. 

It just took our players abit of time to realise these were shit and to find their confidence in themselves again.

I was saying to my Mrs before the first goal that we just need to string a few passes together and we could cut them open. I was just nervous it was going to be one of those games where you get dragged down to their level. But Gordon introduction sparked us into life. 

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, that's pretty much where I am.  NUFC played well after the first - but they absolutely collapsed.  That was as pathetic a performance as you'll ever see at this level - Sheff Utd were utter dogshit.  The amount of space in midfield and the centre of their defence was incredible.  Newcastle still have to play well to exploit and punish them - and they did - but we didn't need to play at our peak (and we didn't) to get the biggest league away win in our history.  If I was a Sheff Utd fan I'd be fucking fuming at how pathetic they were.

Yep. I honestly think folk get wrapped up in the stats and scoreline. (To some degree rightly so.) In the first 20mins they had two clear chances to score and Wilson had a half chance at goal. Chronology suggests if they score both or even one, the whole game changes, tactically and emotionally. Its not a hard concept tbh.

Edited by Heron

22 minutes ago, Heron said:

Can you give an example of a game where we played out of our skin for 90 entire minutes? Where we completely dominated from start to finish? Maybe 2-0 against Man United last season. Other than that, I think you will struggle to find one, especially one where we lost.

It would be strange to me if they gave up already at 1-0.. I don't think they really gave up until it was 3-0 or so.

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, Heron said:

Yep. I honestly think folk get wrapped up in the stats and scoreline. (To some degree rightly so.) In the first 20mins they had two clear chances to score and Wilson and a half chance at goal. Chronology suggests if they score both or even one, the whole game changes, tactically and emotionally. Its not a hard concept tbh.

Aye - and a better side than Sheff Utd likely does punish us.  It was as if those missed chances followed by a sucker punch just completely deflated them; their confidence and game plan went to pieces.  What followed was a late-era Pardew NUFC style performance - they played half-arsed and like complete strangers.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Aye - and a better side than Sheff Utd likely does punish us.  It was as if those missed chances followed by a sucker punch just completely deflated them; their confidence and game plan went to pieces.  What followed was a late-era Pardew NUFC style performance - they played half-arsed and like complete strangers.

Entirely capitulated. From 20mins onwards we were nigh on impeccable.

Edited by Heron