FA Cup Third Round: sunderland (A) 06/01/24 @ 12:45 - Live on ITV

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

Even when the club were running buses you'd have 2 Metros (times published in advance) that you could use that would go straight through to Sunderland non stop. You were also free to use any other Metro. These ran at the same time as the club run buses and I'm going back 20 years here.

Like I say ill take your word for it but don’t recall any free buses for the last several derbies and any non stop metros pre 00’s

Can only assume the bubble trip aspect will be repeated if it goes to a replay due to the agreement to give them 6k tickets?

Could see it being mayhem here, always seems to be more bother in NE1 due our ground not being near some shit industrial estate ghost town with nee one about. 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Like I say ill take your word for it but don’t recall any free buses for the last several derbies and any non stop metros pre 00’s

Dabizas 1-0 game and Solano 1-0 game 100% had both dedicated metros and club run buses. Probably a couple more as well but I know these two definitely did.

They started charging for the buses with the money going to charity which killed a lot of the interest but by then the metro and trains were already far more popular and it wasn't really worth the hassle of them carrying on with the buses.

24 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Dabizas 1-0 game and Solano 1-0 game 100% had both dedicated metros and club run buses. Probably a couple more as well but I know these two definitely did.

They started charging for the buses with the money going to charity which killed a lot of the interest but by then the metro and trains were already far more popular and it wasn't really worth the hassle of them carrying on with the buses.

They were both played in the  00’s. Not pre 󠀠

Anyway… Im hearing we are playing in our home strip thankfully 😊

12 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Was always rougher than Sunderland was Boro. Much worse. Remember going to Ayresome Park when we beat them in the League Cup and it was genuinely scary! One of only 2 times I've genuinely been scared outside a football ground. Contrast that to Sunderland away 2 weeks later when O'Brien scored the free kick and the mackems just kept out of the way. Strange thing with Cleveland Police was that they would go to all those lengths to segregate us before the match, often meaning we missed the first 15/20 mins (I remember one time once they finally let is in it was already 1-1!) and at full time they would let us all out together :lol:

Totally identify with those descriptions. At that Boro game approaching the away end from a corner some bloke right in front of me was hooked into an alleyway like getting literally hooked off a stage. Obviously were adept at that. Cant say if he was wearing any identifiable colours and the vibe was a sense of it didn't really matter, nor that I was 12/13 at the time.

Night game and all that but their was a contrast with the mackems games that season and the year before where they seemed cheeky at best but mostly coy and subdued.

Was a bunch of our lot in their sections in the 91/92 game and nothing happened bar them being lead out of the paddock and marched dancing down the touchline to hop into the, post Hillsbrough, packed away end. Cant see it going like that at Ayresome.

Edited by Jonas

7 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I think we’re ready now. There was enough in the Liverpool game to indicate seeds of recovery. Personally I’d love to be there, preferably amongst our supporters, having experienced the opposite away to them on three occasions it is no where near as much fun as being amongst our lot. 

It is shite being in the home end at an away game. I did it at the away fans ban match and it was not fun at all. 

15 minutes ago, Bintang said:

It is shite being in the home end at an away game. I did it at the away fans ban match and it was not fun at all. 

I was a working as a community football coach with them during the 2-2 in 99/00 behind the scenes. Was all the worse for being 2-0 up and having something to lose, heart didn't stop jumping around from the moment they pulled one back.

With all their gear on and everything would have at least avoided any shit but the way they went on was like they'd won a two legged cup final. The last time we'd played and we'd drawn the home game after winning away...only memorable thing about it was David Kelly and it felt like just another game somewhere between the Derby and Forest home games in the same period. Who knew?

Edited by Jonas

4 minutes ago, Jonas said:

I was a working as a community football coach with them during the 2-2 in 99/00 behind the scenes. Was all the worse for being 2-0 up and having something to lose, heart didn't stop jumping around from the moment they pulled one back.

With all their gear on and everything would have at least avoided any shit but the way they went on was like they'd won a two legged cup final. The last time we'd played and we'd drawn the home game after winning away...only memorable thing about it was David Kelly and it felt like just another game somewhere between the Derby and Forest home games in the same period. Who knew?

The 2-2 game to be fair to them was intimidating. You couldn't hear our team being read out. They got quieter the next year and even quieter the following year. My main memory from the 2-2 was one of our fans ran to the front to greet our players running out, fell over and brought down an advertising board then got arrested :D

Yes the following season felt every bit of their having peaked at 7th and a few points ahead of us and they weren't happy about it after one entire year of it. It was palpable in the atmosphere which was flat and critical. I suppose in fairness they were right because they had peaked, were going backwards and were going to be overhauled by us after only a brief stint on top. Was a bit like the back end of Sir Bobby's time here with us.

I remember thinking at the 1-2 in 00/01 at our place that this had to be the top derby atmosphere and vibe in the country by a distance, based also on the the 2-2 earlier in the year. But once we weren't competitive and both going places, especially from their end, it simmered down to feeling like the local dispute it was before and nothing special.

By 05/06 they weren't close to selling out despite giving 6-8k away tickets.

Edited by Jonas

5 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Yes the following season felt every bit of their having peaked at 7th and a few points ahead of us and they weren't happy about it after one entire year of it. It was palpable in the atmosphere which was flat and critical. I suppose in fairness they were right because they had peaked, were going backwards and were going to be overhauled by us after only a brief stint on top. Was a bit like the back end of Sir Bobby's time here with us.

I remember thinking at the 1-2 in 00/01 at our place that this had to be the top derby atmosphere and vibe in the country by a distance, based also on the the 2-2 earlier in the year. But once we weren't competitive and both going places, especially from their end, it simmered down to feeling like the local dispute it was before and nothing special.

I think it was the recently deceased Henry Kissinger who said that student politics were so vicious precisely because the stakes were so small.

The derby has had plenty of games where the same applies - they are a shitload more important when there’s little else going on.

This being an FA Cup games ups the stakes again for me. 

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

They were both played in the  00’s. Not pre 󠀠

Anyway… Im hearing we are playing in our home strip thankfully 😊

The only time I’ve been was club buses, the one after the 5-1 where Gyan scored off his arse.

27 minutes ago, Anderson said:

The only time I’ve been was club buses, the one after the 5-1 where Gyan scored off his arse.

10/11 that was.

Fwiw this is from the .com match report that day:

IMG_0205.thumb.jpeg.5fb2bbed976ab0104b0278a31b1b6067.jpeg

I’ve had a quick check of the reports from previous seasons and I can’t see any reference to the buses.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think it was the recently deceased Henry Kissinger who said that student politics were so vicious precisely because the stakes were so small.

The derby has had plenty of games where the same applies - they are a shitload more important when there’s little else going on.

This being an FA Cup games ups the stakes again for me. 

By luck my first 10years in football to that Sir Bobby/Peter Reid era there was always something bigger for us even if it was fighting relegation to the third. Then the season pretty much hinged on who finished higher it did feel much bigger.

The 1-0 Solano game to me is/was just a totally forgettable occasion that wasn't even talked about a week later. iirc it came after we had re-qualified for the CL and they'd been relegated.

Edited by Jonas

23 minutes ago, Jonas said:

By luck my first 10years in football to that Sir Bobby/Peter Reid era there was always something bigger for us even if it was fighting relegation to the third. Then the season pretty much hinged on who finished higher it did feel much bigger.

The 1-0 Solano game to me is/was just a totally forgettable occasion that wasn't even talked about a week later. iirc it came after we had re-qualified for the CL and they'd been relegated.

Increased stakes really do ‘up the ante’ mate.  The one that sticks in my mind is the 4-1 win at the SOS - the celebrations were more muted that the result might imply.  A half-empty stadium, and an easy win against (at that point) the worst team in recent top flight history (they ended up with 15 points) just didn’t really register beyond shits & giggles.  It was more like dancing on a grave than stress-relieving ecstasy. 

The playoff semi final defeat is etched into my brain - I was just a kid, but I can remember the looks on my dad and my uncle’s faces when the second went in.  When you’re a kid, you feed off the emotions of the adults around you.  The mixture of devastation and anger is incredibly visceral.  

My senior engineer on the UK team is an Arsenal season ticket holder and a great guy. He lived a fair bit north of London but moved up near Newcastle last year. I met with him this morning my time and I mentioned the great hatred of Sunderland by Geordies and said something like "I suppose that's new to you". He said "No, in England many know of that derby". He then said "I had a pint and a Geordie sat down next to me and said "You're not a mackem, right?"

He said no and the chap said "good" and they got on just fine.

5 hours ago, SteV said:

10/11 that was.

Fwiw this is from the .com match report that day:

IMG_0205.thumb.jpeg.5fb2bbed976ab0104b0278a31b1b6067.jpeg

I’ve had a quick check of the reports from previous seasons and I can’t see any reference to the buses.

I went in 99/00, 00/01, 01/02, 02/03, 05/06, 07/08, 08/09, 10/11 and 12/13 and went on the buses every time.

Edited by Superior Acuña

2 hours ago, Jonas said:

We had not yet re-qualified  for the CL, that was an important game for us. I agree though it was quite a lot less memorable than the previous season's. I put that partly down to the previous year being our first win over them in a while (it was my first win over them in a while - it was my 6th in a row tie with them and first win, the only win in my memory being the Roker I couldn't go to) and the fact Solano scoring a pen at the other end of the pitch was a lot less memorable than Dabizas scoring right with our fans.

47 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Honestly think that for that daft fluke the game in 2011 would be my favourite ever. Our away end was immense that day.

Bruce wheres ya song

Didnt think I could hate the cunt as much as I did then. How wrong I was

6 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

We’re losing this 1-0.  Stupid penalty by our keeper when one on one at corner of the box with their player having his back to goal. 

Going to recommend you don’t watch this one